Champ Kelly Might Be Joining! (Source)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Jun 13, 2019.

1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Connor Rogers
    (@ConnorJRogers)

Per @InsideTheLeague, this is expected to become a reality for the #Jets (Kelly might be assistant GM, which would be 1 step higher than VP of player personnel) twitter.com/ConnorJRoge…

IF this happens.....we would have arguably the strongest front office in the NFL

Lets pray this becomes official....

2. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I look forward to blaming Champ for our 2020 draft.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

4. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I really believe this would be the cherry on top for maybe our best off season in the history of the team. You bring in the best offensive FA, the best defensive FA, the best defensive coordinator, the best offensive coordinator (gase), the best GM candidate and arguably second best GM candidate for assistant GM......that's how you quickly changed leadership and culture.

5. HomeoftheJets

It was a good offseason but I'm not quite that optimistic:

1. The best offensive free agent is a running back who held out a year and is getting close to his decline phase.
    2. The best defensive free agent is an inside linebacker, who like our new RB got a massive contract.
    3. Gregg Williams may have been the best available option at DC, but his defenses are usually league average.
    4. Gase is not the best offensive coordinator or offensive mind in the league. His offense is as good as his quarterback.
    5. Douglas and Kelly are pretty impressive, if unproven. But they won't have much influence on this season. Also Kelly is not confirmed as of now.

#5 HomeoftheJets, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    TonyFtLaud, Ralebird and abyzmul like this.
  6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Adam Gase was the best OC in the AFC? I didn't know that... There is such a thing as "too many cooks in the kitchen"...

TonyFtLaud, CBG, Jets69 and 2 others like this.
  7. Champ is well versed on the pro side while Douglas better w colllege/draft. This would be a great hire & i share the OP enthusiasm.Im tired of being miserable & pessimistic. Im ready for this team to get results & ultimately turn the tides on the cheating assholes to the north

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

McShay is out unfortunately but heres more Champ confirmation:

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

What does Champ think about Champ?

NYJetsO12, Brook! and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

Bell is 27 and has a year of restoration on his body. I’m also not seeing the issue with Mosley being an ILB... he’s the QB of the defense and one of the best in the league at what he does.

sec314 and papapump like this.
  11. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Pump the brakes with the arguably the best FO talk. Let them prove it for an offseason or two before crowning them anything.

TonyFtLaud, Cman68, Brook! and 5 others like this.
  12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Still, have the Johnson clowns around. Pump those brakes a little.

CBG likes this.
  13. boozer32

14. Im cautiously optimistic about CJ.Hes not perfect,still learning & has a long way to go but I like where we’re at & im not sure we’re here if Woody was still on this side of the pond

15. boozer32

I thought he waited too long to can Maccagnan but at least he did. I give him credit for getting someone we all think/hope will be good for us in Douglas. Especially getting him late in the offseason. Next step seeing what kind of scouts he can bring in.

16. HomeoftheJets

I'm not sure whether the year off will be good or bad for Bell. Depends on what kind of condition he shows up in. Regardless, his 2017 season was step down from this 2014-2016 seasons, which makes me wonder whether he was already starting to decline. Some running backs fall off even in their 20s. As far as Mosley, he's a great player but ILB isn't a super valuable position. Not as important as edge rusher or cornerback.

boozer32 and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

@BroadwaySam

Guess that rumor I heard a few weeks ago was true.

18. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I don't know much about him. From the Bears website:

https://www.chicagobears.com/team/coaches/champ-kelly

[​IMG]
    Champ Kelly
    ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF PLAYER PERSONNEL

College: University of Kentucky

Hometown: Campbellton, FL

Biography

Anthony "Champ" Kelly enters his second season as Assistant Director of Player Personnel after spending two seasons as the Bears Director of Pro Scouting. In his current role, Kelly works collaboratively with Bears Director of Player Personnel Josh Lucas and College Scouting Director Mark Sadowski in directing both the Bears pro personnel and college scouting departments.

As the Bears Director of Pro Scouting, Kelly oversaw all pro player evaluations, the advance scouting process, free agency, and evaluated talent in all professional leagues including the Canadian Football League and Arena Football League. In addition, Kelly assists the college scouting staff with player evaluations and trades for the NFL draft.

Prior to joining the Bears, Kelly spent eight seasons with the Denver Broncos (2007-14), including the last five as Assistant Director of Pro Personnel. He originally joined the Broncos in 2007 and served as a Northeast region college scout (2007), and Assistant Coordinator of Pro and College Scouting (2008 – 09).

During Kelly's five season as the Broncos' Assistant Director of Pro Personnel, the Broncos won four AFC West Division titles (2011-14). In addition, the Broncos during his tenure as Assistant Director of Pro Personnel signed eight veteran free agents that went on to make the Pro Bowl, including two players—guard Louis Vasquez (2013) and wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (2014)—who earned their first career Pro Bowl selections after coming to Denver. Furthermore, in 2014, the Broncos became just the second team (Carolina, 1996) in NFL history to sign four veteran free agents in a single offseason who made the Pro Bowl in their first year with the club: Sanders, cornerback Aqib Talib, safety T.J. Ward and defensive end DeMarcus Ware.

Before entering the NFL, Kelly was a certified NFL contract advisor and general manager / wide receivers coach for the Lexington Horsemen of United Indoor Football (UIF). Under Kelly's leadership, the Horsemen won the United Bowl III.

A native of Campbellton, Fla., Kelly graduated with a bachelor's degree in Computer Science from the University of Kentucky and earned a master's degree in Business Administration from the school in 2003. He played wide receiver and defensive back at the University of Kentucky from 1998 – 01. He continued his playing career in the UIF, playing with the Horsemen from 2003-06. Kelly was a defensive standout and two-time first-team UIF All-Star. Kelly continued his playing career with the Horsemen from 2003-06 as a defensive standout and was a two-time first-team UIF All-Star. During his final season playing for the Horsemen in 2006, Kelly received the UIF Man of the Year Award in recognition for his leadership both on the field and in the community.

In addition to Kelly's background in football, he has also worked in corporate America for a fortune 100 company, IBM. Kelly worked for IBM in Lexington, KY, from May 2002 through July 2005 as a Software/Quality Engineer. Kelly received a bachelor's degree in Computer Science from Kentucky in 2001 and earned a master's degree in Business Administration from the school in 2003.

Kelly and his wife, Stephanie, have three daughters, Claire Alaina, Chloe Grace, and Caroline Elise. The Kelly family is also active in the community and founded a non-profit corporation, Heart Power, which has hosted youth programs in Colorado, Florida, and Kentucky.

++++++

I guess the Bears aren't big on proofreading. They mention his education twice in consecutive paragraphs..

#18 RPOZ51, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Jets81 likes this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

I never doubted that you heard it I doubted where it came from. That was before the interviews were even done I think and at that point it’s just a bunch of guys throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

20. BroadwayAaron

ILB isn’t a super valuable position unless you have a great one. The same can be said for safety. We have a great player at each. Ask the Ravens and Seahawks how not super valuable ILB and S are. Having superior talent at each of those positions won them titles.