For F*cks Sake, Will We Ever Learn?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Who cares honestly?

The HC and GM have different jobs leading to the same goal. They should be on equal footing.

There’s multiple power structures.

Head coach reports to GM
    GM reports to Head Coach
    Both report to owner

All have won Super Bowls.

FJF and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

If Douglas does for the Jets what he helped do for the Eagles nobody will care about the power structure which is over rated in my opinion.

The Jets need a talent evaluator more than anything else. According to his prior experience that is what Douglas brings to the table. I do not anticipate any interference from the Johnsons as long as the talent level on this team improves.

ColoradoContrails and Sam Hammer like this.
  3. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I think this would be a bigger problem for situations when you saddle a new GM with a coach like Idzik with Ryan or Macagnan with Gase. But the fact that Douglas and Gase respect and like each other makes this less of an issue. So right now I am not concerned with this structure AND it looks like this relationship is going to be more 60/40 with the GM having more power over the coach because that is where the money is. If either of these guys were to get fired next year, you better believe it would be Gase over Douglas based on what they're paying him.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Jets, Bengals, Steelers, Colts, Cowboys have this structure.
    The Eagles changed their structure with the firing of Chip Kelly, the Browns changed with Dorseys hire.
    Irsay with the colts was GM from 84_97 and is heavily involved in football operations.
    You could argue the Chargers have a similar structure since Spanos son, is VP of Football Operations. But at least he worked his way up through the organization from area scout, spent a couple years in the league office and has 17 years experience in the league, but Lynn reports to Telesco, Telesco to Spano.
    The Cowboys owner is also the GM so everyone reports to him.
    The Steelers have such stability, Colbert, the teams firs ever GM has been in charge of personnel for 19 years, Thomlin is entering his 13th season as HC, Cowher was HC prior for 15 years and knoll was HC for 23 year before him. Even Ron Hughes Wes their director of scouting for 12 years and stayed involve until his death in Feb.
    The structure can work with the right owner. Hopefully Chris Johnson has learned enough with his recent deep dive into the organization to know what he doesn't know. And will stay out of the way to allow Douglas and Gase do their jobs. Reports are they have a good relationship , and the same vision for building the team,If they are on the same page, things could go very well.
    Let's hope they have the right vision, work well together, and this is the beginning of a long run of stability and success. It would be nice ....

5. mrjet80

You’re exactly right. I was just wondering about this ........if there is a seat that is slightly warm it belongs to Gase. He’s the one who nudged Mac out the door over personality differences and player evaluations. He now has a hand picked GM and probably an understanding that he has a free 1 maybe 2 years until the roster builds up and the Jets are expected to be competing in deep playoff runs at the very least ....

6. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

I actually think they need to be philosophically aligned which they are. I also wonder about the dynamic in a coach reports to the GM situation considering most head coaches make about twice what the GM does. In the real world, the boss who has subordinates making a lot more than him are often resentful of the situation. In football, because of the coach making a lot more, when the two are not aligned it is often the GM who goes just like what happened here.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

This thread reminds me of Suzyn Waldman. Goodness gracious.

jonnyd and FJF like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

if ti works for them , good. doens't work for us with the johnsons being involved at all

9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

That's what I was wondering. Thanks.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I've long pushed for a Pres. of Football Ops, and still like the idea...IF...you get the right guy in there. But given what I know about Douglas and the apparently close relationship he has with Gase, i think the POFO is moot. Adding one now would be simply adding additional layers that are;t needed. Now if it turns out that Douglas and Gase can't work together, or Douglas is in over his head (which I seriously doubt), then maybe this needs to be revisited, but for now I feel confident things will work well (as long as the Johnson Boys stay out of things).

Acad23 likes this.
  11. Quinnenthebeast

Not to mention Gase was run out of a bad franchise, while Douglas succeeded at a great franchise.

mrjet80 likes this.
  12. mrjet80

Yes I don’t buy this argument that he was a bad coach looking at the roster Miami had. Gase now has a far better QB prospect let’s see what he can do once the Jets start adding pieces .

Acad23 likes this.
  13. Quinnenthebeast

Well we all hope so, but the results speak for themselves during his tenure in Miami. I certainly think he is a super smart football guy and a hard worker so the hope is he learned from his problems in Miami.

14. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Filed under “for fuck’s sake, when will we ever learn?”

I know we’re all happy to finally have a head coach that cares about the offense, but this really is just the inverse of Rex and Bowles. Time will tell whether or not it’s a good thing, but I’ve always believed that the head coach should be overseeing the entire team and making sure everyone is on the same page, even if he specializes in one side of the ball. Seeing the defensive assistants once a week feels weird. Especially when he’s your dad...

Ralebird and HomeoftheJets like this.
  15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Big Cat likes this.
  16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Could be worse.

Could be his mother in law... :confused:

Big Cat likes this.