Crazy, but we should all be thanking Chris Johnson right now. Without him, we don't get Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 101GangGreen101, Jun 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

I find this thread to be thoroughly ridiculous. The Johnson's are great owners they've just made a lot of poor hires. Do you think he did it on purpose? He wants to win just like everyone else. All of this shit you knuckleheads blame him for is dumb.

Mr mittens likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Sorry, if they were great owners they would have a couple of SB appearances, if not victories under their belts by now. They've fucked up until the past 6 months, but the "lightbulb" seems to finally have blinked on.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

As much as I've crucified the Johnsons, I will cut them - Chris at least - some slack and tip my hat to them. This had all the makings of a SOJ outcome with them initially lowballing Douglas, but in the end they stepped up and got it done, and that's what counts.

sec314, NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  4. Matthew_McBride

Matthew_McBride Active Member

Bill Belichick - 7.5M/year
    John Elway - 4M/year

I don't know if these are 100% accurate, the info seems to be harder to find than I thought it would.

5. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I don’t see how you couldn’t give credit to the Johnson Bros. Douglas was THE candidate and was going to have his choice of job next offseason. They stepped up and got the guy that every other team would have wanted.

Have the Johnsons brought a Lombardi back to NY/NJ? No, but they sure as shit came close in 2009/2010. Whether you want to admit it or not, those teams were damn close.

That doesn’t excuse all the losing the team has done this past decade, but keep in mind what our QB situation has been during that time.

Aero, Mr mittens and Acad23 like this.
  6. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I think we as fans need to let the idea of the jets being the circus die. Other teams are way more dysfunctional than ours and yet we magnifying anything the team does to epic levels

Give the Johnsons some credit, I think they're tired of losing too. It's hard to find and sustain sucess in the NFL with free agency and a salary cap. We all knew this team was rebuilding after Rex, we all also knew it would take a while. I think we're finally past that

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

FJF likes this.
  7. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

75% of this board was giddy when Idzik was fired and Mac was hired.

I am not going to get excited for a first time GM who has done nothing yet.

And I am definitely not going to be optimistic when we have an already proven loser as a head coach.

8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

THIS !!!!

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

His head coaching record is 30 and 34. He has a losing record in his first 4 years as a head coach. He's a loser! Why would you be optimistic about a proven loser!?!

That was Bill Bellicheck after leaving the Browns and becoming the Patriots head coach.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

So this is what it has come to ? We now compare Adam Gase to the Best Coach of all time ? Hopefully Gase has a smidgen of the success that Belicheat has had.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Idzik might be the worst GM in Jets history. Mac sucked, but he wasn't nearly as bad as Idzik.

But I wasn't all that excited about Mac.

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I did some research too, and I agree, it's hard to find and kinda sketchy. I guess teams don't release salaries of the front office. But the few I saw seemed to be between $1M and $3M, with the 2 you mentioned the outliers.

The $1.5 Jets originally offered Douglas is probably in the middle, fine for a new GM. Douglas did good holding out for 6 yrs, $3M. I just saw J&J raised the price of baby powder from $2.29 to $7.99 for a small bottle.

(kidding!)

13. Falco21

No, it just means that judging a head coach on his first few years is not always the most accurate. Especially when said coach was part of an organization that is rotting at its core

14. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Chris Johnson is way better than Woody. Hopefully Woody never returns.

NCJetsfan and Acad23 like this.
  15. Falco21

Not for nothing, but Woody was the reason CJ went and kept offering Douglas. Apparently CJ went to Woody and told him what was going on.

While I agree that Woody is a moron, stating that CJ is the sole reason for this hire, is not fully accurate

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  16. Falco21

When Belichick was hired in New England, I am positive fans were in an uproar because of his history with the Browns. How did a second chance pan out for him?

Will Gase become the next Belichick, I hope so, but my point was that just because Gase did average in Miami, does not mean he is a "proven loser" and will never amount to greatness. Sometimes coaches, and players for that matter, need a change of environment with better people around them to reach their ceiling. Maybe the Jets and Joe Douglas are those pieces Gase needs. Either way, jumping to a conclusion that he sucks before he has even coached one game under the Jets, is a little ignorant

ColoradoContrails and Sam Hammer like this.
  17. Falco21

You can hate Woody. You can hate Mac. You can hate Gase. You can hate anyone you so choose, but blatantly ignoring great things those said individuals have accomplished, is not fair. Mac did a lot of shitty things in his tenure with the Jets, but he did draft guys like Darnold and Adams. Woody may be a shitty owner, but he had a large part in signing Douglas.

The good does not fully outweigh the bad, but we also should not ignore the good to great things they have done for this franchise. They may be few and far between, but they exist.

Props to CJ and Woody on this hire. I LOVE this move

18. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Whether he does a good job is separate from whether he was a great candidate. Landing a great candidate shows promise.

FJF and CotcheryFan like this.
  19. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

It’s not like Mac drafted those guys in the 4th round and they turned out to be studs; drafting in the top 10 should get you great players. To properly evaluate Mac’s success drafting high you have to also grade the players he passed on. Did he pass on other players who are far better than he got with his top 10 picks?

20. Falco21

That's not my point. Just as easy as it was to draft guys like that in the first round, it is just as easy to hit a dud, as MANY have done in the past.

Whether it was easy or not, he drafted them. And one of them was a trade up. That one might be the franchise QB this team has been looking for for an eternity.

Again, credit where credit is due

JetBlue likes this.