Jets Hire GM Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by King Koopa, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What are you talking about?

Where have I commented on Joe Douglas?

2. Ralebird

You realize that Paradis has been doing some limited individual drills and riding a stationary bike at the Panthers OTA's, right? He is currently in no shape to be helping any team. Let's hold off a bit before declaring it was a loss to not sign him.

It also appears that a key reason he went to Carolina was because he liked the continuity there of Ron Rivera being HC for nine years. The Jets haven't had that kind of continuity in 46 years. These things matter to players enough that maybe even Howie Roseman could not overcome them.

This is the NFL; nothing is "for damn fuckin sure."

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Ok

4. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

First of all the last part was unnecessary.

2nd he didn’t do much at all for us outside of making a few obvious picks, luck into Darnold(thanks Gettlemen) and throw money at Free Agents.

What did he really do for us that’s got you guys wanting to earn him some praise?

He sucks, he sucked. Stop defending that bum.

5. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I’m going to continue to kill this Macc narrative. If you don’t like it either don’t reply or put me on ignore.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think that you're overstating things a bit. I also think Douglas hit the nail on the head in his initial presser when he said that we have some exciting pieces in place in Sam, Adams, Bell, Mosley, and Osemele. I agree with him and we have Mac to thank for those pieces being here. Mac made more than his share of mistakes, the worst were not communicating with Bowles and his CS to see what types of players they wanted and his being so slow and methodical to make decisions, and even then being hesitant to pull the trigger. He had no sense of urgency. He did do some good things however.

IMO Douglas was implying that we have some good players, some solid players, and a few players one can be excited about having on our team, but we still have a good bit of work to do.

The others that appear to be not far behind those "exciting pieces" are Herndon, Crowder, Maye (if he can stay healthy), Leon Williams, Anderson, and Q. Williams. Further we have some solid pieces in Montgomery, McLendon, H. Anderson, Enunwa, B. Powell, Beacham, L. Edwards, B. Copeland, T. Hennessy, N. Hewitt, J. Jenkins, A. Williamson, and maybe B. Poole. We also have some youngsters with some promise in J. Polite, T. Wesco, F. Luvu, P. Nickerson, and D. Middleton. We definitely have a lot of work to do, as we need practically an entirely new OL (except Osemele), probably need two new starting CBs, need a #1 WR and perhaps more at WR, probably need at least another edge rusher (and that's if Polite works out), but we have some others players that I didn't mention who could improve with better coaching and become solid contributors/role players.

#366 NCJetsfan, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Leicester Jet and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

I wasn't speaking about Joe Douglas specifically. I was just referring to those who are taking a "wait and see" attitude who are more skeptical or pessimistic in general about the Jets. I was trying to extend an olive branch. Please try to not be so sensitive or touchy.

8. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

That didn't happen. He made a trade up without giving up a future first and still got the highest rated QB in the draft according to almost all the experts.

9. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

That's a fair point. It's sure looking that way so far, but it's too early.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

It didn't happen, but it very easily could have. Mac was lucky. His and our good fortune was due to three things. One, that Mac had foolishly passed on Mahomes and Watson in the 2017 draft, so he was desperate to find a QB. Two, that he at least had the good sense to trade up early to put himself and the team in the position to get one of the top 3 QBs, and made the trade without having to give up a first round pick. Three, that the Giants' GM is totally freaking stupid.

11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It was neccessary because you are beating a dead horse. We get it, you despise, Mac. You dont seem to understand your despise is coming off as very one sided and if you put that aside, it still holds true, he is gone, and he isn't coming back.

Mac did more than you are willing to admit and the stuff you just mentioned, you're trying super hard to downplay how important the Darnold pick was.

I'm not going down this rabbit hole with you, it's always going to be one sided with you because of your one sided bias.

You can try to flip it into a "defending" Mac argument but it's very obvious it's not.

He should have been fired. Most agree.

Just being realistic. He obviously did do good things for this team, just not enough to justify him staying at this point.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  12. IIMeanDeanII

To be fair.

I dont think it was completely lucky. I believe that Mac had a very good idea of what direction the Giants were going to go. As I recall, for awhile before the draft. We as fans even kinda had an awareness of who the Giants would most likely be picking.

However, you are never assured of anything until it happens.

I do think it was all logically based and calculated. The was kind of Mac's thing, but was also what caused him to be so hesitant to pull the trigger on so many other things it seems. Double edge sword.

Anyway, it's just not wise to criticize a guy for putting this team in the position to get, Darnold. Then actually picking him. I can't get behind that. There was a lot we all didn't like but the guy deserves credit where credit is due.

It doesnt hurt a thing, he's obviously not coming back, so I dont get the blind hate for the sake of hating from some posters.

Idk.

So I'm glad, knowing you didn't care for the guy, you can at least give credit where you see credit is due.

We all thought he should've gone. Almost everyone anyway. I don't see the harm.

13. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

My disgust for Macc is well documented. Having said that, I like this hire and not simply because he is not-Macc

1) by all accounts he's a solid if not great talent evaluator. Given cap this is the most important trait to have as a GM IMO
    2) everyplace he's been was a winning organization; people learn the details that matter by being around winners
    3) he's on the same page with coaching philosophy -- mutual respect is super important
    4) he looks bad ass -- hoping this is indicative of him running a tight ship and not tolerating losing, selfish mentalities

I understand people's skepticism given our history but have to admit I think this time it's different. Fingers-crossed

Macc will never run a team again

14. chandler

Macc didn't put the team in a position to get Darnold. Macc was the first to admit this (he did -- it's in print); he stated that he was surprised Darnold was there.

Likewise, it quite easily could have been the case that someone could have traded with the Giants to get the #2 pick for Darnold. (See Trubitsky, Wentz, etc). We were very, very fortunate to get Darnold but by Macc's own admission this was not "his plan" he was going to take the 2d or 3d quarterback in the draft, and he was not expecting that to be Darnold. We super easily could have been looking at Allen and Rosen

We are also very fortunate with Adams. He has turned out great, but like a lot of Jet's history we'll be looking back on the draft for a while knowing that a QB-needy team passed on two great QBs (and who knows they may have been able to trade back) to pick a safety at 6 -- a safety! to me that's just warped priorities. You build a team from the inside out. QB, O- and D-line etc. Some of the greatest safeties in history benefitted from having a great line and geat LBs in front of them. Hopefully we'll be able to do the same

I have no reason to doubt that Macc is a nice guy, family men etc., but he was in so over his head it's not even funny

15. Ralebird

OK. But since this is the Joe Douglas thread I could not help but believe you were speaking about...Joe Douglas. And "wait and see" works better for me than "hot and cold" and bailing out and jumping back in. Taking issue with being mischaracterized is neither sensitive nor touchy it is simply a call for truth and accuracy.

16. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

For me that's Macc's most egregious error. I can understand passing on Mahomes because it wasn't clear how his talent would translate to the pros, but passing on Watson was just unforgivable. As for QB, I think Macc had always intended to capitalize on the 2018 draft which was well known to be rich in QB talent far in advance. That's probably the reason he passed on QB's in 2017 and went with the "tank" strategy to get in good draft position for 2018 (another error as I see it) which actually backfired on him when the team won 5 games.

17. IIMeanDeanII

You will not find a quote anywhere that has Mac admitting to not putting this team in position to get, Darnold.

He knew he would get one of the top two QBs in the draft, but was surprised Darnold was the one sitting there. That doesn't mean he didnt put this team in position to get him though. That's non sense.

Stop.

He LITERALLY put this team in position to get, Darnold. Hence, the fact that we LITERALLY drafted, Darnold.

Again, it was obvious to many that if the Browns didn't take Barkley, the Giants were.

It's an educated guess that heavily favors getting one of the top two QBs in this draft.

Everyone downplaying it like Mac somehow doesnt get that credit. Is hilarious.

Spin it however you may, the fact will not change.

MAC got us, Darnold.

Fact. Live with it or don't, doesn't change it either way.

You're now trying to take shine away from Mac for drafting our pro bowl safety?

Okkkkkkkkkay.... you're right, I guess he doesnt deserve credit for that either. Sigh

Ralebird likes this.
  18. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Douglas working already -

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. chandler

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/05/nfl-jets-sam-darnold-mike-maccagnan-draft

"As Saquon Barkley came off the board at 2, [GM Mike] Maccagnan leaned over to Heimerdinger, sitting to his left, and said, “We … we … he just fell to us.” The GM then got up and walked around the front table in the war room, and over to Bowles and owner Christopher Johnson, who were seated to his right, so he could whisper to them, “Hey, this is not what we expected. I’m going to draft Sam Darnold here. You guys OK with that?”

Johnson shot back, “No, this is great.” And then Bowles, succinct as ever, simply said, “Let’s go.”"

He did not know he would get top 2 QBs either. In prior drafts teams paid a ransom on draft day to go to #2 spot. It was more than plausible that another team would offer Giants 3 firsts or whatever to get to #2 just as Bears and Eagles did (and both teams benefitted from that move).
    We were lucky to get Darnold (that's the fact and it's twice over the fact since we were picking third). That was not a genius move by Macc. Im happy we got Darnold but crediting that to Macc is a stretch when he did not expect him there. It's like saying the Pats were geniuses for drafting Brady in the 6th -- luck was involved

You can't give him credit for putting us in position to take Darnold when he never expected him there.

Regarding Adams a sucky team should not be picking a safety at 6. They should be going FQB, LT that kind of thing. You build from the inside out.

and to be clear I like both players and Williams too but let's be rationale here. We were picking #3 and #6 we should be expecting high quality talent

#379 chandler, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. chandler

You may be right. My own guess is he was hoping Hack was going to turn into what he hoped he was when he drafted him in the second round

Or that he was gun shy and feared he'd draft Hack 2.0 but as a high first rounder

westiedog1 and NCJetsfan like this.