Jets Hire GM Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by King Koopa, Jun 7, 2019.

1. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I haven’t been a huge Mac guy but he got us on the right track...I just feel like Joe Douglas is the closer to come in and be aggressive to win now with Sam on his rookie deal

Mac was too deliberate even though he had us in the right direction

Pretty excited TBH which is weird

2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Nicely said. People have a lot of ammunition from the past to be skeptical, but IMO there are many signs now that seem to indicate we are about to do it right for a change. We will soon find out. Most of the skeptics are worried about Gase. I have a feeling Gase will surprise us all with superior football performance, he will get it right this time with our personnel and he is A bright mind that will keep us ahead of the game if we give him time to align this team. After three years of Bowles, a coach most here loved as a hire, we might be surprised by the new, bright football mind most people seem to hate. I can't wait. Once we start winning all past sins will be forgotten.

3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

SEE MY POST right above yours------> exactly

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

NCjets its not really skepticism its more how things actually are in reality until the culture changes. I hated the hire of Gase and I still do but if he and they win I will be happy to put a statue of the guy on my lawn same goes for Douglas. I want the team to succeed despite the POS owners but again the reality is and I can't speak for anyone else but all I can say is I have heard all this talk so many times before that it now falls on deaf ears. Results speak volumes but as of now its all just talk and bravado. If SuperBowls were won and lost in April or every time we hired a new coach or gm we would have not enough fingers or toes for all our rings------> show me !

5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

NC, I’m not down on the signing of Douglas, and I liked that he mentioned the oline as being just as important as the defensive line.

I’m just tempering my happiness because I want results, plain and simple, no more talking or great quotes or Instagram or Twitter messages.

Wins on Sundays is all I want to see, no close games, moral victories...etc.

6. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

A lot of people say the timing was bad to hire a GM but I say the timing for Joe to put a staff together is perfect. Now is when teams will let scouts go more than in January before the draft. He should be able to put together a good group of guys. It also gives Joe a Mulligan for the 2019 season if things don't go well , which I am not expecting, but I expect a new attitude with the GM, coaches, & players. I think the only thing that may hold us back a bit is installing a new offense. I hope Sam can pick up the offense quickly. I see the stars starting to align for this team. My wife said something good must have happened with the Jets because I seem more upbeat lately....truth is she's FREAKEN RITE!!!

7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

You too, are a good man. I know we've always had respect for one another and that wont stop. Regardless of our views are currently aligned or not, most of the time they have been.

..but, it's the Jets. It's kinds inevitable and impossible to maintain a permanent balance emotionally with this team. At least currently.

Ultimately, we agree, having a consistent winner to root for will change that for a lot of us, if not all.

Right now. I cant take more let down and I know my pessimism stems from that. I dont feel bad though.

I've showed this team endless support, most of the time undeservedly I still continued that support.

I'm tired now and I need this team to support us as fans now.

So, I hope this all does work. I'm just not holding my breath over it either.

Show me results. All I have left for this team.

Show me results.

8. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Joe Douglas put it perfectly. Hiting a GM in January is like hiring a coach in September. The more time that the passes the more it seems like it was the right time to fire Mac.

9. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Exactly what direction did he have us in?

10. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

He got the Jets their franchise QB, which is more than almost every other Jets GM can say.

BacktoQueens, IIMeanDeanII and FJF like this.
  11. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

In the right direction - kinda - Mac was very deliberate but moved at a snail’s pace. If we were back in the 1980s he’d still be the GM and getting plenty of praise for his drafting of Darnold, Adams, etc and the general consensus would be along the lines of “another 3-5 years the Jets will have a roster full of all pros “. Obviously in this day of FA that consensus just won’t cut it ....it’s a win now league .

12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I like Darnold but it's too soon to say he's our franchise QB.

Brook!, Acad23, PabloJa and 5 others like this.
  13. King Koopa

Ask Joe Douglas...he wouldn’t have come here if it wasn’t a good situation to build on

BacktoQueens likes this.
  14. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

So if the Giants take Darnold and we have Josh Allen does he get credit for putting us in the right direction?

15. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

You don’t know that.

16. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

LOL, ya ok, dudes never been a GM before, and for some reason people are paving the streets with gold fire him, time will tell

Jeti and CBG like this.
  17. King Koopa

So what are you arguing? I’m not saying Macc did a good job but I think we’re set up well for the future...do you not agree? If not why?

Most GMs are usually 1st timers if you look around the league...he had a nice job with the Eagles and was a top candidate for future GM jobs according to many in the NFL media. He didn’t have to come here if he didn’t think it was a pretty good spot to work with....pretty easy to come to that conclusion considering GMs that wash out don’t usually get another crack at it to run another franchise

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  18. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

MeanDean this has got to be one of the best statements that sums up being a Jets fan that I have ever heard. You hit the nail on the head. I spent a good majority of my Jets fandom feeling this way but at the moment all I have to get me through is this false empty hope and optimism. The Jets literally would ruin my life for months on end and that is what I was tired of. You definitely have very valid points and I as well as any long time Jets fan know where you are coming from.

19. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I don’t think we’re set up well going forward. This team needs a lot of work.

OL and Pass Rush are still issues and that’s how you win in this league along with a quality Quarterback.

Cornerback situation is very shaky.

Wide Receiver position is hit or miss right now.

The one benefit we have is Gase and Williams who can Scheme out some wins for us but we aren’t a great team.

Macc didn’t really set us up for anything. In my opinion he held us back big time. We won 4, 5 and 4 games. We’ve been consistently in the toilet.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I'm not going to respond to most of this because I dont want anyone to get the impression I'm going to bat for, Mac.

However, to ignore the good he did do for this team, is just purely biased drivel.

You're trying to bury a guy for the sake of burying him at this point. Most of your post is just stretching out things but completely ignoring the good that he did do.

Almost everyone agrees he needed to go, but it's silly to act like the guy was brain dead and did nothing for the future of this team.

He's gone. He's not coming back.

Let it go.