Jets Hire GM Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by King Koopa, Jun 7, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He was joking, being facetious.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

Mark it down, that will change within the next 2-3 years.

3. NCJetsfan

ROFLMAO!!

4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

This isn't the SOJ anymore & anyone who doesn't see/feel the difference is just an eternal pessimist ... this is the first time I can remember feeling confident in a hire.
    Yes, I've felt optimistic before but never confident... I can see a total transformation of this team under the leadership of Douglas. This guy is going to attract top talent in the FO... something we haven't been able to do in the past .
    This is a well respected football mind... someone who has worked under some of the best in the business, if not THE best in the business.
    Douglas is going to revamp the whole operation from top to bottom & stack this FO & scouting department with top tier football people.

This is nowhere near the SOJ.

PabloJa, SOJAZ, King Koopa and 9 others like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

Even with our team's sorry ass history, and the numerous times that we have been let down and disappointed, I have a hard time understanding how anyone couldn't be at least a little excited and optimistic about our future!!

There's so much in that press conference that I loved hearing:

"There was a sense of urgency in Philadelphia knowing that we had a young quarterback and we want to put the pieces around him," Douglas said. "I think there's going to be that same urgency here with a young quarterback like Sam. I think once you know you have the right guy, that's the sense of urgency. Let's go win right now. I think that confidence is here right now."

Joe Douglas: We’re going to find passionate people who love the game of football, who hate losing more than they love winning.

Douglas on team-building philosophy: QB is the most important position. After that, offensive and defensive lines. JD: "Football is a game of wills. We're going to try to build a team that can impose their will on other teams and to do that you have to be strong up front."

Douglas is already working on how he can improve the team.

"The hunt never stops for players," he said. "We have the No. 3 claim in the waiver order, we're going to use that to our advantage. We're going to comb through every waiver wire that comes out. There's a lot of different avenues to improve your roster."

"There's a lot of exciting pieces on this roster," he said. "Having competed with C.J. Mosley, competed against Le'Veon Bell, obviously Sam Darnold -- it starts and stops with quarterbacks. It's the most important position in all of professional sports. Having a young quarterback with his ability, having competed with Kelechi Osemele -- there's a lot of exciting pieces."

Stepping into a new building on top of that, Douglas may be a step behind, but knows what he wants to do first before anything else.

"Engage and connect with everyone in the organization," he said.

Building personal relationships from the start is always a good sign.

"Finally, to Jets Nation, you're getting a general manager that is a relentless worker. Someone that understands a winning culture. Someone that is going to strive to put a product on the field each Sunday that competes for greatness and that I hope will make you proud."

And comments from the media about Douglas:

Cimini - Only one press conference, but I was impressed by Joe Douglas. He was engaging, presented a vision for the team, outlined his football philosophy.

Brian Costello - Joe Douglas won the press conference. Very good communicator, had plenty of good answers, has an idea of what he wants. We'll see how the games go now.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I guess you missed the dripping sarcasm.

#326 ColoradoContrails, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Jeti likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

"Ozzie Newsome: "You'd better know what you're looking for, and what you're looking at".
    THIS^ X 1000%,

I don't think Macc ever really knew what he was looking for, or what he should've been looking for. It was BPA All The Way with him. And no wonder he didn't know what to look for if he wasn't communicating with his HC!

And this basic model is what makes consistent winners. You need to know what your needs are FIRST, then you look to see which players fit that. You don't just grab BPA and say "Well we'll figure it out".

Having a disciple of Ozzie Newsome is fantastic!

#327 ColoradoContrails, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  8. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

We went from a french poodle in mac to a bulldog in douglas. The interview has me psyched for the future.

PabloJa, NCJetsfan, Attackett and 2 others like this.
  9. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

In order for us to get Douglas things had to run it's course. Hire Gase. Gase not getting along with Mac, fire Mac...hire Douglas. I believe they really thought the Gase & Mac marriage was going to work before the Draft & free agency, but that's when it all fell apart. All's well that ends well.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

I just watched his introductory press conference and I really liked what I heard. He has two things I really like.
    1.) He played the game of football. Sure he was never a superstar but there is something about playing and what he said about loving football that brings a sense of calm to me.
    2.) "We’re going to find passionate people who love the game of football, who hate losing more than they love winning" Absolutely loved that line!
    3.) The guy has worked with and learned from some really talented people.

I really hope he can help the Jets turn the corner.

11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

It all sounds great in June and I am happy to hear all this but we have talked about changing the Culture for 50 years and ONLY Parcells came close to doing that so lets win some games in the Fall when it all really matters then I will start enjoying the Koolade so = "SHOW ME "

12. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

..because at the end of the day. It's just talk. I've seen it, heard it, all before.

I have been optimistic for so long, even when the Jets didn't give me a reason to be.

It's crossed that line for me, hiring Gase was that turning point for me. I'm fed up and I dont believe a word that comes from anyone within this organization.

The only thing, and I mean, ONLY thing, that will change that for me, is winning, consistently. Competitive playoff/sb caliber teams.

That's what I want, fuck optimism, I need results.

NY Jets68, westiedog1, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  13. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I know one thing after seeing this press conference.

Joe Douglas would have signed Matt Paradis.

That's for damn fuckin sure

14. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Same here and Douglas has a proven track record who has helped build Super Bowl championship teams. As for Gase I will take a wait and see approach but definitely am loving the Douglas hire. I just wish Douglas could have been hired before the draft and FA so he could have really started to put his stamp on the team. He will have training camp and preseason when teams make cuts and finalize their roster to try and improve the roster for 2019. But the draft(mostly) and FA(somewhat) is where you really build your team. Next offseason is when I expect Douglas to really start shaping the roster for his vision for the 2020 season and beyond. I am not sure he can do all that much for the 2019 season since he wasn't here for the draft/FA period. Once again I definitely love the hire and I am excited for the future of the Jets especially if Darnold reaches his potential and I think he will.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I think that was the straw that broke the camels back between Gase and Mac, it was a need that had to be addressed and Mac dropped the ball.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yeah I think it was that and his indecisiveness in the draft.

18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I think it was Gase’s plan since the moment he was hired. Every little thing that bothered him about Mac was just used as ammo to get the hit done.

I hated the timing of the Mac firing and had no faith that they could actually get Joe Douglas hired. Now that they have though it was a great job by Gase putting into motion his plan and executing it to perfection.

FJF and HomeoftheJets like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

You're a good guy, and I'm sorry you're there, but I understand! I've been there and know it's a miserable place to be. The way this team has done things it's a wonder we're all not in the loony bin. Frankly, I'm surprised that I'm feeling so optimistic when just 3 months ago I was totally done with this team and had zero optimism. I think it was just the resolution to not let this team or posters here drag me down any more. I just decided that I was going to try to enjoy and have fun with following the Jets and I wasn't going to let myself get so frustrated and upset any more.

I just hope that my optimism will be rewarded so that we all can at long last be happy and celebrate the success of our beloved team. We've earned it!

20. NCJetsfan

RedMenace, CBG, Ralebird and others who are skeptical. I understand your skepticism and respect your approach to the current situation, but hope that we all will have reason to celebrate this season and get truly excited about our beloved Jets and their future. You're all loyal fans who bleed green and you deserve to be rewarded for your years of frustration and disappointment.

I hope that my optimism won't drive you guys nuts, but I can't help but be optimistic. I feel more confident and hopeful in this team and its future than I ever have. When they won SB III I was only 13, so didn't know all that much about the game or the Jets then. Regardless of whether Gase is the right HC, I think Douglas is definitely the right GM, and I think ultimately he will do what is right and best for the team and will make it a winner and a model organization if Woody and Chris will allow him to run the team his way. Since he was confident enough in their trust, support, and desire to hire him to take the job, I think he got the assurances he needed that they would support him, and that things will go well. We'll see.

ColoradoContrails, Red Menace and CBG like this.