Jets Hire GM Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by King Koopa, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I love Gase man lol

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Eagles didn’t grant anyone permission to interview him during the normal hiring cycle so if we fired Macc in January we wouldn’t have Douglas.

Sometimes you gotta do things the unorthodox way. It all worked out.

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Yup and we also just took a massive shit on any team looking for a GM after this season. Douglas was going to be the #1 candidate next year, for sure. We locked him up without him sniffing any other job offer and now he has an entire year to prepare for the draft.

I questioned the timing when Mac was fired, but you are absolutely correct, everything fell into place perfectly

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The only position that can be blocked from interviewing for a GM spot is someone who is already working as a GM, or possibly a head coach.

5. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I was one who wasn’t really mad about it. Once we decided to keep Macc I let it go but once he was on the outs after day 1 of the draft I was happy because I know around this time it’s easier to build a scouting staff rather than in January.

Now Douglas first draft will be with mostly his guys instead of relying on Macc’s guys.

ColoradoContrails and PabloJa like this.
  6. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

On the surface yes but during the hiring cycle the Eagles were still in the playoffs and can block teams for interviewing members of their staffs.

7. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

“According to MMQB's Albert Breer, the Eagles have denied the Texans' initial request to interview Douglas for the opening.

The Eagles are able to deny the request for now because they're still in the playoffs. That will buy them some time, but because this vacant job comes with final say on roster decisions, they won't be able to block the Texans forever.“

Kris 15 and Ralebird like this.
  8. Ralebird

You are correct; depending on how far the team goes there are windows of opportunity that open and close. It's more of a delay in interviewing than a blocking.

9. Ralebird

Makes you wonder what happened to the Texans when the Super Bowl was over. Did it slip their minds that they were interested in Douglas or were they in a hurry to hire the guy they just canned?

I also believe there is a window in part of the two week period before the SB that allows for interviews.

#309 Ralebird, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  10. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I think at that point they were already a month into their offseason planning.

Bringing a guy in, in January is already tough due to timing so waiting until February is even crazier.

With coaches they don’t really do anything that matters until September so they have months of preparation.

For us Douglas has 10 months to prepare for the draft now rather than 2 and half.

RPOZ51 and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Happy day indeed Jet fans. From my view point, is hard not be impressed with our new GM. I now have nothing but great hopes for the new leadership and the future state of the team.
    Douglas is a breath of fresh air, he speaks openly, unassumingly and with incredible knowledge and credibility. I think he is the perfect match for Gase.
    I no longer have the nagging SOJ syndrome. I I see a much brighter future for us, starting with an improved roster. A few players that skated with the prior regime need to start worrying.
    Great days ahead TGG friends

12. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

13. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

About time someone understands games are one in the trenches. Very please we finally have a tandem that can really make a difference in how we play and change the perception of being a dam laughing stock. I can not wait for JD to start to put his stamp on the team.... frankly he seems to have already!

14. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

I underestimated how I was gonna react when he said those beautiful words.

[​IMG]

15. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Finally nice to have a person running the show that sounds the part. Tannenbaum was a stuttering used car salesman. Idzik, who the fuck knows. Mac, always seemed like a guy in way over his head. I have no idea how this is going to turn out with these two, but I can say with 100% certainty, I am way more optimistic about the braintrust of Douglas, Gase and Williams running this team than I have in a very long time

16. Ralebird

Upon further review, it appears that the windows of opportunity that open for head coach candidates during the playoffs do not extend to candidates for the GM position. Only after a team is eliminated do their front office employees become unencumbered from being blocked by their current teams. So, yeah, Houston would have left themselves in a bad position by waiting to talk to Douglas. In retrospect, they would have been better off just waiting - how bad does a guy need to be to last only 16 months as a GM?

17. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

18. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Ha. Me too. I mean his personality has grown on me. He is intense. Passionate. Definitely over the edge football psycho at times. But we need that. Gase strikes me as a guy who will learn from any past mistakes he's made regarding rigidity. He does have a sense of humor and isn't some ogre that alienates teams. Bowles was both comatose AND clueless. Gase is neither of these things. He's all about football. He communicates his message and to Gase and Douglas...the players that they win will treat losing like death.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Music to my ears. And thank God. Too many times in past seasons we've accumulated a glut of talent in one area (D-Line, just not the pass rushing sort), and ended up with a dearth of talent in areas that really make a difference in todays NFL. Some days we'd totally shut a teams run game down. And lose 17-6. Never sniffing the endzone.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

ROFLMFAO!!!