Best Jets Win You Can Remember?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Jun 8, 2019.

1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I guess U were to young to be alive in Dec 1968 & Jan 1969?:mad:

2. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Playoff win at NE was the best one in my lifetime.

3. mrmajix

mrmajix Member

Here's one only old timer Dolphin haters will remember, 1981 Miami @ NY

After losing the first 3 games of the season the Jets rally to face the first place Dolphins. Todd is doubtful with broken ribs and is in a flack jacket. A lot of drama with a late game goal line stand and a final two minute drive. I remember the crowd was still roaring 20 minutes after the game was over.

AJW and Dierking like this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Post of the year! :) instead of :mad:? No one can top that! Love it, @championjets69!

5. Unfortunately i was not yet born. i celebrate the team’s entire history but cant say i experienced an actual championship like you did

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. Longislandjetfan

Longislandjetfan Active Member

For me it’s hands down Dec 29 2002 Win at home vs the Packers to win the AFC East championship. All the emotions of that season with the terrible start and Pennington coming in and steering the ship back on course and all the craziness that had to happen to set up the outcome for the game it all came together that day. I was at the game the crowd was as pumped and loud as I’ve ever seen. It was a really great day to be a Jets fan and that’s saying something!

7. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah that San Diego playoff win was great too.

I was at the Gaylord Texan screaming like a maniac at the monster screen with a couple random jet fans!

Shonn Green run with Cromartie being a pussy was great.

8. My runner up to 2010 against the cheaters..

First time as a fan old enough to know better seeing the Jets clinch anything..still remember screaming at the top of my lungs at Freeman Mcneil’s long runs in both late 4th & OT

Dierking likes this.
  9. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

One of my favorites too - Johnny Hector took over in OT with a couple of long runs. McNeil has the long run with :08 left to set up the game tying 44 yard FG.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  10. mrjet80

Biggest Jets win since SB III......I was ten years old jumping all over my grand parents living room ....

11. mrjet80

How about 1985 : Jets 17 Seahawks 14.

Jets down 14-0 at halftime come back to win on a Wesley Walker TD catch with under 5:00 to play. First ever win against those lousy Seahawks .....held my breath for those final minutes . Norm Johnson misses game tying FG then Jets forced to punt with under a minute left. Partially blocked but took a good bounce. Jets hold and the jinx is over move to 6-2 and great position ....

12. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

1968 AFC championship against Oakland. Blackout, so I saw it in a bowling alley in New Rochelle. Great stuff.

13. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Yep, I don't think it's possible to top beating the Patriots in the playoffs. That is the most meaningful win I can remember as a Jets fan.

14. mrjet80

Obviously a playoff win is going to rank higher than regular season wins . Polls/threads like this should specify regular season or post season. It’s kinda like an unfair fight lol....

Yes as far as playoffs go SB III would be number one and as to fans such as myself who were not around yet the Patriots win in 2010 would most likely rank # 1. Unfortunately this game as great as it was does hurt just a little knowing what happened the following week ...

I’d say my personal favorite was the Bengals game in 82. A thorough ass kicking of the defending AFC champions on their turf. Very exciting for a kid who never saw the Jets win a playoff game...

#34 mrjet80, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Sam Hammer likes this.
  15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

champ what's with the angry emoji?? ...... they won both games ya grump . : )

And what's more, they followed it up vs. the Giants in their first tilt:

Jets crush Giants 37-14 in first-ever meeting in 1969 exhibition game at Yale Bowl
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |
    [​IMG]

(Originally published by the Daily News on August 18, 1969. This story was written by Norm Miller.)

NEW HAVEN, CONN., Aug. 17 - Broadway Joe and the Jets won the city of New York today in a poker game in New Haven. With all the prestige of the championship of the city as table stakes, Joe Namath and the Jets cleaned out the Giants and left 'em for broke, 37-14.

Before an SRO crowd of 70,874 at steaming Yale Bowl, the wise guy from Beaver Falls, Pa., made this first Fun City Bowl 60 minutes of misery for the fall guys in Giant uniforms. In his best Super Bowl form, Namath hit on 14 of 16 passes for 188 yards and three touchdowns before trotting off the field with hands raised joyously in triumph after his third scoring toss with 7:10 left in the game.

The exhibition showdown to determine who owns the Big Town turned out to be no contest. It was 17-0 Jets after 14 minutes, 24-7 Jets at halftime, and as the Giants floundered hopelessly in the closing minutes, disgruntled Giant rooters and jubilant Jets fans took it out on Allie Sherman with the old chorus of "Goodby, Allie."

With the tremendous incentives to win this one, the Jets played it like the Super Bowl; the Giants played it like the Daze Bowl.

[​IMG]
    (New York Daily News)
    The Jets played it smart, with good execution and few mistakes. The Giants blew opportunities right at the start, pulled a colossal boner that gave the Jets a touchdown, showed all their sloppies fundamentals when Jets rookie Mike Battle raced 85 yards with a punt for another TD, and finally, with a chance to make it close, they lost their poise in the final quarter with a rash of silly penalties.

Fran Tarkenton? He never had much of a shot. He blew a great chance for an early TD when he overthrew Homer Jones, and while he did pass for the two Giant touchdowns, 13 yards to Aaron Thomas and 40 yards to Bobby Duhon, he was under constant pressure from the Jets' defensive rush.

Tarkenton wound up hitting nine of 21 passes for 139 yards and was intercepted twice.

Besides Namath and the defenders, another Jet hero was Billy Mathis, one of the three original Titans named co-captain for this game in a Weeb-Ewbank gesture commemorating the team's nine-year rise to the pinnacle of pro football.

Mathis scored two Jet TD's, one on a two-yard smash and the other on a 20-yard pass from Namath. Broadway Joe's two other TD tosses sailed 29 yards to George Sauer and just one yard to Pete Lammons for the final score.

[​IMG]
    The New York Daily News published this on August 18, 1969. (New York Daily News)
    The crowd, almost equally split between Giants and Jets fans, was the first sellout here since 1955. The game, arranged through the efforts of THE NEWS more than a year ago, was played for the benefit of four charities: The N.Y. News Charities; the John V. Mara Fund for Cancer Research at St. Vincent's Hospital; the Albie Booth Memorial Fund, and the New Haven Register Fresh Air Fund.

So sharp was Broadway Joe that he missed only two of his tosses, one when Giant Rookie Fred Dryer got in to deflect the ball and the other when she missed Sauer along the sidelines.

The game was won in the first half when Namath three 8-for-9 and 119 yards, when the Giants' kickoff receiving platoon pulled the rock that gave the Jets at TD, when Battle made his beautiful punt return and when the Giants were blanked on the scoreboard.

Tarkenton blew his shot at getting off to a quickie lead on the Giants' third offensive play of the game. With third and five on the Giants' 33, Tarkenton sniffed out a blitz by Larry Grantham and sent Jones deep down the left side as Grantham blitzed. Homer had Randy Beverly beaten but Tark overthrew. Right after that, the roof caved in on the Giants.

The Jets were stopped on their first series but went all the way on their second, Namath moving them 67 yards in five plays. Broadway Joe hit Don Maynard with flips of 16 and 20 yards to the Giants' 29. On the next play, he found Sauer open down the left side and hit him with a toss behind Willie Williams.

[​IMG]
    The New York Daily News published this on August 18, 1969. (New York Daily News)
    The Giants gave up the ball almost immediately and the Jets made it to 10-0 Jim Turner's 37-yard field goal.

Now came the Giant boner. Turner kicked off and into the end zone, but the ball bounced back out around the five. While rookie George Irby and a few other Giants stood around befuddled, Henry Dyer rushed up to save the situation. In attempting to pick up the ball, Dyer kicked it toward the sidelines, where Cecil Leonard, a Jet rookie, grabbed it and was forced out on the Giants' two. Mathis carried around the left side on the next play for a TD.

Less than three minutes later, after the Giants had made their initial first down of the game and then punted, it was 24-0. Dave Lewis kicked to Battle, who caught the ball on his 14 and took off. He leaped over George Irby like a hurdler, near midfield, got a block from rookie Jimmy Jones and went the rest of the way behind John Neidert.

Now came the Giants' best drive the game, Tarkenton moving them 92 yards in nine plays for their first TD. He hit Joe Morrison for 23, took off for 12 yards, then found Jones wide open for a 20-yard toss to the Jets' 13. On the next play he hit Thomas behind Beverly for the TD.

The second Giant TD came early in the third period after a punt by Jet rookie Steve O'Neal had taken a bad bounce back to the Jets' 42. On the second play, the Jets' defensive coverage broke down and Duhon was left wide open downfield. He beat Beverly in a race to the flag, and now the Giants trailed by only 10.

That's when they roughed themselves right out of the ballgame. On the following series they were penalized three time for a total of 40 yards, the final a pass interference call against Bruce Maher, giving the Jets a first down on the Giants 20. Namath hit Mathis on the following play and the Jets led, 31-14.

Namath's final flourish was a 56-yard drive in which he hit Maynard for 15, Lammons for 12, hooked up with Lee White for a nine-yard screen pass, and from the one-yard line caught Lammons in the end zone.

#35 joe, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  16. jago

jago Active Member

here’s some other good ones:
    1981 playoff clincher vs GB. last great game at Shea.
    i was there for that one.
    1982 playoffs at LA Raiders.
    1997 at SEA 41-3
    first Tuna game and shockingly good road win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Yup! I was there. If it wasn't a big enough party to begin with, Battle's punt return TD set the Jets fans romping for the rest of the day!

joe likes this.
  18. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Many more to come and this is from someone who saw almost all the games in 1968 at Shea ($5 standing room by the way) and loved the Super Bowl win.

19. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Monday Night Miracle, October 23, 2000.

It was the most emotional win for me, anyway, even if it was only about one quarter of the Jets playing well.

20. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

1968 AFL Championship Game