Jets Hire GM Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by King Koopa, Jun 7, 2019.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Still sucks. Have the Rays won any WS? It's not sustainable. Its a one and done shell game. Player has a bad year he's gone. Whereas the Steinbrenner Yanks signed players that produced when it counted and kept the team together. Funny how you only named baseball team. Which NFL team is heavy into analytics? Only Theo Epstein has figured it out for baseball. Glad our new GM isn't into that garbage. He values production instead of where someone might be in 15 years at the right price.

Red Menace likes this.
  2. boozer32

The Mets suck because they hired an agent as GM. Before him, they had the gurus of analytics Sandy Alderson and Paul DePodesta. Both worked under another guru who had a book and movie made on his analytic garbage (and still hasn't sniffed a WS) Billy Beane. Billy Beane a washout baseball player that was drafted by the Mets. The Mets also bought BVM onboard because of his approach to analytics and that ain't working out so well.

3. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Douglas has worked in some quality organizations and learned from the best scouts/gm's in the game. For years. If he's developed a methodology that finds quality players that's not quite what the current trendy methodology is (in this case analytics) then so be it. He's found something that works and he's been consistently successful. Doesn't mean he totally shuns analytics it just means he's found a different way to skin a cat.

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Beane may not have sniffed a World Series (though Alderson and DePodesta did in 2015), but the analytics guys who came afterward are dominating the game. But by all means call analytics garbage. While you watch the analytics guys not on the Mets win championships. :cool:

5. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Nah, we're still around. It's just pointless at this point.

They haven't played a game, Douglas hasn't done a thing, yet, we are about to win the SB apparently. Good times.

I'll wait and see at this point.

Still don't get the hype right now...

6. boozer32

LOL no substitute for solid scouting and coaching up your players. That is how the Cardinals, Dodgers, and Yankees have done it for decades.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

That bolded statement is another completely baseless figment of your imagination; some would call it a lie.

Why do you feel the pathetic need to make this about me? The first words of what I wrote were "Some here may not care;" do you not comprehend the meaning of that simple statement?

If you don't care, move on; if you disagree, state your opinion.

That should be very simple; even for someone like you.

8. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Ok

Jets81 likes this.
  9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I don’t care that they fired Mac and he should have been gone the year before.

However I do agree with you that this guy is being treated like he’s a Caldwell, Dorsey or Ozzie.

He has been part of 2 organizations that have won SB, the same can be said for Bill Bellicheats staff, when they leave Bill and Brady they don’t look so good do they?

I’m glad that there is hope and optimism in Jet land but I’m going to temper it with a wait and see attitude as well.

#189 Red Menace, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Dude you sound like such an idiot

jonnyd likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

You really don’t know anything about analytics and yet you knock it.

“Analytics” or data analysis is THE system that is focused on valuing production above all else

I said you sound like an idiot in my previous post. And I’m sorry, perhaps that’s harsh even though it’s true but honestly, educate yourself a little dude

12. BrowningNagle

The Cardinals, Dodgers and Yankees all have extensive analytics operations, built up over decades.

Hell the Dodgers GM was never a scout, he was an analyst!
    The Cardinals were early adopters in analytics
    And the Yankees have an army of analysts, one of the biggest in all of sports.

Crazy how little you know and you still spout all this bullshit

13. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

No good reason to not use analytics at all. If it’s something that can help they’d be foolish to ignore it. This is the Jets we’re talking about, though.

14. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Happy that the Jets got their guy. Hope he is a great GM. Also, happy with the contract details as it seems Douglas is in a stronger position than Gase. That needed to be done to show Gase isnt the puppetmaster he was perceived to be. So all in I'm looking forward to what the Douglas/Gase combo can build here and cant wait for the season to start.

What I just dont understand is this continued dumping on Maccagnan. If the Jets win a Superbowl in the next few years Mac will deserve some of the credit. He built the core of this team. If Mac is as bad as everyone has been saying than this team needs to be blown up and rebuilt from scratch and I just dont see that with Darnold, Adams, Bell, Mosely and the Williamses.

If the Jets win with Gase and Douglas, it will be because Mac got the FQB. Mac got the key defensive players. The only reason Gase and Douglas are in the building is they were attracted by developing the foundation Mac created.

So for the Jets sake I hope Mac wasnt as bad a GM as some on this board say he was.

IIMeanDeanII and BacktoQueens like this.
  15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It comes from his not focusing on the OL in the early rounds, missed picks after round 1, trading down excessively in the middle and late rounds, and not having a clear vision of what the team should look like. I do agree that if this team wins a Super Bowl in the next few years, Macc should get some of the credit, but he made way too many questionable to bad decisions that I'm not sure we win one had he been retained.

PabloJa and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree with all that and the Jets decided the same. But people are calling him Idzik bad. Its gone over the top.

17. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I was referring to fans of other teams not our own.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

It simple really. The franchise replaced 2 people who seemed incompetent in their jobs with 2 people who we expect will be better. We’re all “wait and see” at this point. There are just 2 sides to wait and see. The SOJ side and the optimistic side.

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

To me this is a very, very exciting time for Jet fans, and the arrival of the new GM springs tremendous hope to our insatiable long term desire to bring in a no kidding "football guy". Someone that knows what it takes to succeed in the NFL. Awesome. His resume and background speaks volumes about his depth and breath. He also learned under the very best, and the very best did much to keep him away from us, so I'm even more hopeful this is a home run.

Yet we quickly manage to turn from " SOJ, we will never get him" to the next doom and gloom statement " temper your horses, he has not done anything yet" or worst " I hear he does not like analytics and that is a big problem" God forbid we can have some sunshine in our lives as Jet fans even on day one of a hire.
    IMO, there is nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with thinking this is absolutely great for the organization. We can temper our hopes all we want, but right now, on paper, this is finally something for Jet fans to lift our hopes up.
    We have a coach and a GM that are football savvy, and they will work in unison. First time in freaking years.
    As for analytics, from everything I read he is a strong, strong believer about performance on the field, and production, which is a huge part of analytics. The fact that he tempers that with leadership, team player, and disregards work out heros might be a plus.
    Wait and see approach or not, I think is time for us Jet fans to let the sunshine in and rejoice for now. So far so good. Training camp and preaseason will be a blast. We have some really good talent to rally around.
    No need to resurrect the doom and gloom ghost of years past. Not yet anyway.

20. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Well said. While I'm not totally sold on Gase it is clear he is an upgrade over Bowles. Douglas on the other hand despite never being a GM before, I think has the work ethic, passion, pedigree, and is just an outright football animal who has been schooled by some of the best in the business. He's going to come here and be a great GM. I just know it and feel about as unbridled an optimist as I've ever been. I don't understand clinging to SOJ stuff right. If even I've discarded it than believe me, everyone else should too