Why shouldn't I become a Season Ticket Holder?

Discussion in 'Jets Experience' started by Brook!, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

No matter what I am becoming a Season Ticket Holder this year. At first I was mad at Johnson brothers but then I said fuck it. I am doing it. Great games this year at home from Pats to Cowboys to Giants and Steelers. Also the season opener.

Then my good friends at the Season Ticket thread warned me about being a STH not making sense financially due to Jets not being a successful franchise and ticket values going down during the season.

Now, isn't this team and organization give you hope? You might think I am crazy but what if this team becomes perennial play off team starting this year? Will my friends still think I am crazy?

I don't know man. I want to make the financial commitment and jump on to the season ticket bandwagon. Tell me I am crazy and tell me why I shouldn't become a STH?

@CBG is banned to post on this thread. Lol.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Since you asked lol, making impulsive decisions with your money, especially when that involves buying high, is usually not a good idea.

#2 HomeoftheJets, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    Brook!, AJW, CBG and 1 other person like this.
  3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I’ll just give you my reasoning for why I don’t consider it...

1) The TV experience is very good. I need very good seats to offset that, so I prefer to save up for 1 game a year with good seats as opposed to 8 games in lesser seats

2) I like being up to date with the league, and I enjoy watching NFL redzone on Sunday’s when there are a dozen games happening. The stadium does show highlights and you can always check your phone, but I don’t like missing out on the rest of the action more than 1-2 times a season.

3) It gets fucking cold sometimes

4) I live in CT, so between travel and tailgates, the games turn into an all day affair that I wouldn’t want to do every week

There are plenty of reasons to get season tickets, but you asked for reasons not to so there are mine

Brook!, CBG and HomeoftheJets like this.
  4. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Offensive line sucks--Darnold is going to get hurt sooner or later. Then what are you watching?

CBG likes this.
  5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Are you crazy?

Pick up tickets for the game(s) you really want.

And get a huge TV with a good surround sound set up.

Kick back and have a time.

oh yeah...hookers.
    Get some classy hookers that won't rob your Rolex(s)...

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Stadium sucks.

jetophile, AJW, CBG and 1 other person like this.
  7. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I was a STH for two seasons Fitz' first & last year. The first year, it was certainly a lighting-in-a-bottle season, and I attended every home game. Year 2.... disaster. I couldn't sell any game I didn't go to, and wound up only going to maybe 3. From there, I vowed not to invest the few hundred dollars until they show me something. I much rather spend X-amount to attend 3 games a year.

Brook!, AJW and CBG like this.
  8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Because cringy, drunk and immigrant is no way to go through season ticket holding.

9. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

Dude if you want me to spend your money for you, hit me up in a private message and I’ll get you the info so you can wire me the money.

AJW and CBG like this.
  10. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

Anybody know offhand what the exchange rate on Lira is?

Brook! and CBG like this.
  11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Season tickets because you enjoy pro-football and really want to go to the games and you can afford it is certainly worth doing. Buying season tickets because you think the team is on an upward trajectory and you can profit from them financially sounds like a very iffy proposition.

stinkyB, AJW, CBG and 2 others like this.
  12. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I mean if you really hate your wife and kids that much. Up here guys go ice fishing.

13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I like where I’m at being a group ticket holder/leader.

Get as many games as I want at a discount from face value and I get some of the season ticket holder perks.

Personally don’t want to deal with going to 8 games or selling tickets for games I can’t attend.

AJW and CBG like this.
  14. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

It’s an interesting dilemma. The Jets usually open 2 year windows where they can make the playoffs. They usually do it by bringing in FA’s to make them competitive. It looks like they’ve done that again. You’ve also got a new HC and traditionally new Jets coaches have some early success. The question is, can they sustain it?

Of course, none of that matters if your just after the game day experience. I agree with above: probably not good from an investment standpoint. If you think about it, the thing that would make your tickets valuable is the very reason you buy them in the first place...too see a winner. You probably won’t sell if the season is going well. You lose money if you sell during a lost season.

I approach the Jets and Disney the same way. I wait for someone who invested in it to try and recoup some of their money. I buy low and at my convenience. No extra fees, no feeling of obligation because I’ve already spent the money. Significantly less stress that way.

AJW and Brook! like this.
  15. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I doubt you’ll pass the pre-screening. Every potential season ticket holder is interviewed by Woody Johnson.

AJW and Brook! like this.
  16. Sid Youngelman

Sid Youngelman Active Member

Why should we give a rats ass?

17. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

What's a group ticket holder/leader?

18. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

If you can get 8 or more people together, the Jets consider this a group. Contact the group sales team and if you’re the group organizer, they consider you the group leader.

You can pick which games you want to go to and you get access to seats before anyone else.

So I have had a group of 12 people for the last 3 years. This year I got suite tickets and 4 complimentary parking passes for 130$/ ticket all in (suite tickets alone are 275/ticket). Also they don’t tax the tickets and there’s no fees. It’s literally just face value - whatever % discount you can negotiate.

They scale ticket prices now based on the opponent so keep this in mind. Giants, Cowboys, Patriots...all of these types of games are more. We like to go to the home opener because the ladies in the group don’t like the cold games. So we’ll be at the Bills game this year and the Jets have a steep discount on this game.

So it’s a tremendous value and incentive to go as a group if you’re going to go with a bunch of people anyway.

I found out about this because I bought 15 tickets to the Jaguars game years ago and the Jets called me and said, “Well if you’re going to have this many people, come as a group and we’ll get you on the field”. I organized the group and I got 100 level tickets and parking passes for like 80$ / ticket all in. No brainer for me since we paid 75 for 200 level tickets + parking passes + tax + fees off Ticketmaster which came to like 110/ticket with no perks.

Also, in terms of perks, though they don’t classify me as a season ticket holder, I get access to some of the events the season ticket holders are only allowed to attend (VIP draft party at MetLife, season ticket holders training camp day - which is how I got Darnolds autograph on my authentic, on field jersey, discounts to merch...etc).

If you want more info, I can give you my sales reps contact information. She is fantastic.

LogeSection2RowJ, CBG and Brook! like this.
  19. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

The catch phrase on Wall Street is buy low & sell high what U R considering is the exact reverse of that adage:mad:

AJW, CBG and Brook! like this.
  20. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

I bought 4 psls this year in section 234 two days before they fired the GM. I don’t think I know 3 other Jets fans.

I didn’t buy it as an investment but I got a great deal and I do believe they’re going to be a better team in 2 years than they are today.

I bought them bc I have a problem spending money and impulse control in general.

This is what I spend my money on ($10kmin over the last 12 mo):
    Restaurants
    Shows
    Clothes
    Whores

#20 ZachMFWilson, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    LogeSection2RowJ and Brook! like this.