GM Interviews To Start This Week

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, May 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

oh.. yeah good point

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I totally disagree. Douglas is by far the most qualified candidate and the most respected in the NFL of any of the candidates. I think he deserves it. It's not like the Johnsons can't afford it. It's absurd to go cheap on leadership, yet be willing to pay the players without question. If this is all true and the Jets lose Douglas because the Johnsons try to go cheap, I hope that something awful happens to both of them. I'm sick of their stupid asses.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

Times have changed. If Chris Johnson blows this opportunity, I can see tons of Jets fans abandoning the team.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

twown likes this.
  5. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I am starting to get a bad feeling that Chris Johnson screwed this up and that's why theres now a "2nd round" of interviews.

6. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I haven’t followed the GM search that closely, but all I know is that the “universally respected” candidates are usually just the ones that have the most friends in the media. If the Jets don’t hire Joe Douglas, there are going to be a lot of fans that are angry about missing out on a guy they hardly know anything about just because there have been a bunch of nice tweets about him from people with lots of followers. I don’t give a fuck if the next guy they hire is universally praised or mocked: just draft better.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Pretty much. Anybody talking about the comparison of level of respect between candidates or level of qualification is talking right out of their asses.

All the fans know about these guys is that they held some level of responsibility with teams and what little blurbs are fed to them by the press.

The rest is dumbass message board posturing.

All Gas No Shake, Jets81, joe and 6 others like this.
  8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

you telling me you don't uncritically swallow what the media feeds you hook line and sinker?

9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That's our stock in trade!... :confused:

abyzmul likes this.
  10. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I can almost imagine this:

Douglas: Thanks for the interview, cuz. Real talk.
    Jets: We want you. 2 mil.
    Douglas: Yeah, I know you want me. 3 mil.
    Jets: 2.5.
    Douglas: Meh. Changed my mind. 3.5.
    Media: Cheap Jets and Douglas $1M apart!
    Fans: SOJ!

Big Cat, FJF and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  11. twown

twown Well-Known Member

totally cool with Dierk's avatar change. No effect on my mood.

[​IMG]

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  12. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Once again the optics of this aren't great "Joe Douglas rejects the Jets" is something I can see his agent leaking to maybe get us to up the ante a little. It's a negotiation tactic to put the heat on us. Underhanded but effective

Bottom line is...I don't even know if Douglas was the best interview. Supposedly Fitterer really impressed. If they think he's the guy then he may be the guy.

But if we really want Douglas and think he can be trusted with this franchise for the next decade or so, then it's asinine to let him walk over a few hundred thousand. Are you kidding me? Just give him what he wants. He's not asking for anything unreasonable

13. forevercursed

Abandoning how? Permanently?

Darnolds progress, Bell, Adams, Q Williams. Gase even at his worst is a clear upgrade over toilet bowles. The Jets are not going to be bad enough to warrant an abandonment.

I don't know what the future holds but it's not as grim as you think

Mr mittens likes this.
  14. forevercursed

Is this really true though? Honestly I don't know one way or the other (I've heard Cinci is actually the cheapest org in the NFL when it comes to front office, small collection of cheap scouts etc) But I look at the Jets...we have a top training facility. Definitely top 10 in the league (I've seen pictures of our weight room and it's better than the Giants) I've never really seen any evidence that the Jets are run on a shoestring budget. We generate a ton of revenue and while the results aren't what they want, it doesn't mean we're not sinking enough money into scouting/analytics. Maybe we're making the wrong decisions. Maybe Mac was too slow moving and indecisive. But that didn't mean he didn't have the resources.

15. NCJetsfan

If Chris Johnson's (CJ) stupidity wastes the window with Sam with his bungling, and Sam decides to leave after his rookie contract is up, you don't think tons of Jets fans will bail on this franchise? I do. If CJ blows this GM hire, and the drafting is as bad or worse, then Sam won't progress for long or very far. Adams will get sick of the losing and want to leave. Bell will definitely want to leave. Gase could be sabotaged by the wrong GM hire, and he could wind up blowing up at Chris and quitting or getting fired.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

No true fan ever bails on his team.

K'OB and Acad23 like this.
  17. Dierking

NC left for what, three weeks?

Ralebird, All Gas No Shake and jonnyd like this.
  18. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Yeah he seems to talk about “bailing” a lot ... I just can’t understand the concept of it , but that’s just me .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Dierking

he has strong opinions. And he repeats them over and over and over and over and over and over. It’s like a fractal image of stupidity.

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I don’t think 75% of the fanbase gives a shit who the GM is. The internet fans are the vocal minority. And of that vocal minority I think maybe half would actually abandon the team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.