Godzilla! Mixed feelings.

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Overall, it was a good effort to rehash a classic movie. Tojo Int. must have green lighted all the old monsters to show up. Lots of action throughout. However, it was night almost throughout the entire movie not to mention almost always raining. I'm not sure Noah experienced this kind of weather. I guess its easier on the CGI folks to do night effects.

Plot was OK. It picked up where Godzilla 1 left off with most of those characters returning except strangely enough, the hero of G1. Again, it checked all the boxes but wifey and I just felt as if there was something missing. I would imagine having grown up with all of these monsters gave us a different perspective on it. We kept having observations based in real world science when the movie depends on you just going along with it.

Why movies today have so much trouble wrapping up is beyond me. Maybe its a generational thing but this movie deserved a better ending. I won't go into it as I don't spoil however, you'll know what I meant when you get to that point in the movie.

All in all, good matinee material. I have to agree with Warrior that Godzilla 1 was better made and better scripted than its encore. Don't go into this movie expecting a lot and you won't be disappointed. In their attempt to relaunch the Tojo Ltd. franchise, they should have taken a more deliberate route by developing all the ancillary monsters first, then throw the Godzilla coming out party.

I'm sure a lot of you will like this movie and I enjoyed it. Compared to its predecessors, it comes up just a bit short and felt a bit rushed even if it was several years in the making.

Go see it for yourselves. Looking forward to Xmen and MiB 4!

#1 Cman68, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

3. Cman68

closing tune..

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Godzilla just isn't the same with excellent modern special effects. The best movies were always the ones where he looked like a puffy tub toy marionette. Something about the writing needing to make up for the puppetry I think.

5. Cman68

In all fairness Br4d, Godzilla did kick over his share of trucks and stuff..

Br4d, CBG and stinkyB like this.
  6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Absolutely spot on. The campiness of the Japanese Godzilla movies made them fantastic. Special effects kill it. Nothing like a toy Hess truck barreling into a Lionel train set next to a wave created by a fat ass jumping into a bath tub.

Br4d, Cman68 and CBG like this.
  7. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

I thoroughly enjoyed the new Godzilla movie. As long as you go into the theater expecting to watch a Godzilla movie you won’t be disappointed. The CGI is on point and Rodan comes pretty close to stealing the show a few times. The dialog is clunky at points and plays directly into the tropes of the franchise.... but it’s a Godzilla movie and that’s exactly how it’s supposed to work. 9/10 as a Godzilla movie, 5/10 as any other expectation of a movie.