Worst Jet loss that you can remember

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I actually worked for Harry M. Stevens as a vendor. I was in the stadium from 9;30 to 5:00PM. I was blue for days. It's the coldest I think I have ever been and I've been on the antarctic peninsula.

Acad23 likes this.
  2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

How's this for a list of Jets losses off the top of my head ( regular season ).....

1980 Saints - L 21-20 only win for the Saints that year

1981 Seahawks L 27-23 - back and forth game Jets lose on a flea flicker bomb in the last 5 minutes . A win would have been the difference between WC and division title. 2nd loss to Seattle that year...

1982- Dolphins L 20-19 ( on utube ) back and forth game both kickers off. Leahy misses XP and a short FG but hits a long one to give the Jets the lead late. Bobby Jackson drops game saving INT - Von schamann hits 47 yard FG to win. Jets win would have completely reversed the 1982 playoff tournament. There would have been no mud bowl in Miami.

1983- Seahawks L 17-10. Home opener 95 degrees Jets turn the ball over about 5 or 6 times. Still can't beat Seattle. Would been a sign of things to come that year...

1983 Falcons L 27-21. Jets blow a 21-0 lead in the rain. Enough said....

1985 Dolphins L 21-17 Jets come back down 14-3 to take the lead with a minute left. Bobby Jackson gets torched for a couple of TDs including the game winner with :41 left. Leahy misses 3 FGs. Again had Jets held on they would have won the division title that year too......

1990 Bengals L 25-20. Opening day. Would have started the Coslet era off on a positive note. Jets lead 17-10 in fourth quarter driving for another TD. A back up TE named Wellsandt botches a goal line block after ribbing the Bengals during pre game activities about his blocking prowess. Jets settle for FG wind up blowing the game - a common Coslet era story.

1990 - Bills L 30-27. Jets go into Buffalo as huge underdogs. Lead the whole game. Bills drive down the field and score after Kelly somehow gets away from Dennis Byrd and hits Jamie Mueller for a TD with :19 left....

1991 - Bears MNF L 19-13 OT. This was a doozy. Blair Thomas fumbles with under two minutes left ( no timouts left for Bears ) they tie the score with :00 left on a John Harbaugh TD pass to a diving Neal Anderson. Leahy misses 28 yd FG in OT. Bears drive down and win the game but everybody has to come back out onto the field after replay shows Harbaugh did not get into EZ on original call. No problem he just scores again.....

1993 - Eagles L 35-30. Jets blow a 21-0 lead. Johnny Mitchell has the game of his life over 170 yards and 3 TDs I think.....Cunningham knocked out of the game. Bubby Brister comes in and Jets lose on a 90 something yard INT return by Eric Allen....

1993 Raiders L 24 - 20. The very next week....Jets blow a 17-0 lead and lose with 3 seconds left after the refs botch the game clock and give the Raiders extra time.

1993- Bills L 16 - 14. Jets need a win to get into the playoffs. Leahy is gone but Cary Blanchard manages to miss 3 FGs including the potential game winner with under a minute left.

I'm worn out and haven't even gotten to the fake spike game......for all you young guys - yes the Jets have been doing this for a long long time.

#62 mrjet80, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Nice work...mrjet80.

What a long shitty trip it's been. :confused:

4. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

- 24-19 AFCCG vs Steelers
    - Doug Brien game, also vs the Steelers
    - Sanchez bad-snap/fumble vs Titans to end our season & chances at a playoff spot

5. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

We still are[/QUOTE]

6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Greg ,,,I remember it well,,,,,I was working weekends back then and my shift had ended and listened to that debacle on the radio

7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Some losses I associate with times in my life ( just like I do with some songs ) but I don't think anyone has mentioned ( and if they have forgive me ) the lovely Christmas Eve debacle where the Jets lose to the Giants and Victor Cruz caught that 99 yard touchdown .Granted the Mud Bowl and the Browns and The Broncos were all much worse but = There are are just too many gut wrenching losses to choose from take your pick.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

To get ready for the season!:p

Acad23 likes this.
  9. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

Dude, we are Jets fans. Look up masochism on Wikipedia, I am pretty sure there is a picture of a Jets jersey.

10. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

should have closed the thread to comments after this post.

11. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Me too, although not at that game (I worked at Shea 1971-1972). What did you sell? I sold souvenirs for the Mets games and hot chocolate for the Jets games. The colder it was the more I sold, but it was heavy (a big metal container strapped to my back), sticky, and exhausting. Mets games were easier, although I'd often get home from night games at 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning. For some reason my mother was always still awake when I would walk in the door.

12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I'm too tired.

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

December 16, 1973. Shea Stadium. The Jets with a record of 4-9 heading into the season finale had only beaten the lowly Patriots and more lowly Colts twice each and were looking to add a win in what would turn out to be the swan song of Super Bowl winning coach Weeb Ewbank. The day dawned cloudy and windy and only got worse as the swirling winds carried snow and sleet across Flushing Bay and the frozen frowning faces of the Jets faithful. Ewbank's farewell was less than fond as the Jets allowed a future murderer to romp for over two hundred yards capping off a two thousand yard rushing season while the home boys were already foreshadowing the incompetence their next coach, Ewbank's son-in-law Charley Winner, would bring. Final score, Bills 34, Jets 14.

Insult to injury department: Key breaks off in lock of beat up Volvo P1800 stranding yours truly and friend thirty miles from home with not enough cash to get a train.

#73 Ralebird, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    jilozzo and mrjet80 like this.
  14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I got the job with a bunch of friends for the WS in 69. Sold peanuts in the upper deck. Hot Chocolate for Jets games. Working the Met games was much easier. I was 15 and it was pretty good money at the time. The WS was a blast to work selling peanuts in the upper deck. Amazingly nice fans in those days. Jet games when the wind was blowing was a little tricky. Very hard work and December games were amazingly cold at Shea. I'm still convinced a cold day at shea was worse than Green Bay in January.

15. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

Browns AFC Divisional playoff loss in 2 OT. Roughing the passer up 10 less that 4 minutes to go, missed field goals.

Dolphins Mud Bowl. We recovered fumble while 0-0, refs made bad call and said Franklin was stopped. First score in that game and we would have won.

AFC Championship loss to Broncos, Victor Green burnt and that kickoff that the wind stopped and we didn't pick up.

16. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Mud Bowl
    1998 AFC Championship Game

17. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Disgrace and that ahole got away with it

Br4d likes this.
  18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Jesus.

19. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Very excellent summary here - 1982- Dolphins L 20-19 ( on utube ) back and forth game both kickers off. Leahy misses XP and a short FG but hits a long one to give the Jets the lead late. Bobby Jackson drops game saving INT - Von schamann hits 47 yard FG to win. Jets win would have completely reversed the 1982 playoff tournament. There would have been no mud bowl in Miami.

i guess we would have gotten 3rd seed or so and at least 1 home game. wow.

20. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Exactly . Of course no telling the results of those games but possibly the Jets get the Dolphins at Shea instead of down there . I’m not sure how a match up vs the Redskins would have turned out ....... tough game.