Worst Jet loss that you can remember

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, Jun 4, 2019.

1. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

This one takes the cake. Never forget this game.

)

Two key defensive blunders were not shown. Carl Howard pass interference and Gastineau's roughing the passer on fourth down very late in the game.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#1 AJW, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Mud Bowl in 'in the AFC Championship in Jan '83.

It's the reason I still hate Shula and the Fins more than I hate Belichik and the Pats. Bastard hosed his field down for days to turn it into a swamp and the chickenshit NFL office did nothing about it.

3. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Steelers vs Jets AFC Championship 2010/2011

The high of back to back wins against the all mighty Peyton Manning and Tom Brady and to be shelled that hard in the 1st half was such a painful way to end that season and that pain continued for years as we never could get out of our own way. After beating those 2 HOF's I could not have been the only one who thought this could be it right? (I'd like to think)

#3 Burnz, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  4. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Two words. AJ Duhe.

mrmajix and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  5. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Especially when Brad Smith had a great return on the opening kickoff.

6. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

This is true. He did that to slow McNeil down who had 200 plus yards against the Bengals in the first round.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

There's a lot of heartbreaking games that I've seen but three stand out as the worst:

1. The "Mud Bowl" 1982 vs. Miami in the AFC Championship game where Shula left the field uncovered during a torrential rain and made it all but impossible for Freeman McNeil to be a factor. They lost 14-0. A win would've sent them to the SB vs. Washington.

2. The "Fake Spike" by Marino 1994. The Jets had been up at one point in the game 17-0, and were leading 24-21 with 38 seconds left. Dolphins on the 8 yard line with only 1 T.O. Marino seemed to call an audible, signalling to his team that he was going to spike it by yelling "Clock! Clock! Clock!" and motioning with his throwing arm like he was throwing the ball into the ground. Instead he dropped back and hit Mark Ingram in the corner of the EZ for the winning score. The Jets never recovered and at the end of the season fired Pete Carroll and hired the infamous RIch Kotite who "led" them to a 3-13 season and then a 1-15 season before he was fired. THree of the darkest years in Jets history.

3. Jets vs. Broncos 1998 AFC Championship in Denver. Jets were up 10-0 with 23 minutes to go. They lost 23-10. Six turnovers to the Broncos zero turnovers.

I don't know which of these is the worst because they all felt like a root canal without anesthesia, and of course there are other contenders, but these three still hurt.

NCJetsfan, AJT73 and CBG like this.
  8. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Save us, Dark Knight.

The Dark Knight and abyzmul like this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There was also the 05 divisional game against the Steelers where Doug Brien had two chances to win the game and blew them both. Prompting us to draft a kicker in the second round.

Skicats, AJW and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

1998 AFC Championship. They had momentum, an elite team, one of the greatest coaches of all time, and suddenly, the turnover bug hits the team. They had control of the game going into the 4th quarter, held Elway and Davis at bay, but just kept shooting themselves in the foot until the Broncos pulled ahead. This loss is only made worse by our hopes being dashed the very next year when Vinny goes down, then Parcells retires, and Belechick jumps ship and makes our archrivals the consensus greatest dynasty in NFL history while we become the pathetic laughing stock of the NFL.

NCJetsfan, dmw, Jets81 and 1 other person like this.
  11. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

12. Week 1 1999 w Vinny’s achilles against the cheats.

13. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

2004 Jets divisional playoff game against the Steelers...the infamous Doug Brien game

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

They've all sucked...:mad:

15. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

This guy Jets...maybe for too long...

Sorry brother! We're here for ya!

16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Thank You for this painful thread , reliving all this misery has undone years of therapy.

NCJetsfan and The Dark Knight like this.
  17. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I don't know about the worst loss but I can tell everyone about the first gut wrenching loss for me. I was 13 when the Jets and Bills met in the 81 WC game at Shea. Bills jump out to a 24-0 lead but the Jets rally and get it to 31-27. Richard Todd then throws an INT at the goal line in the final seconds. That was the first heart breaker for me.

18. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Why are we torturing ourselves, AGAIN?

NY Jets68 and RPOZ51 like this.
  19. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

This. The only game I ever remember that left me completely dazed and confused. I went from such enthusiasm for the future to completely directionless in the course of one game....

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  20. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

98 and 2010 AFC Championship games are tough losses. Especially 98. Blake Spence block punt td. Alex Van Dyke and Keith Byars fumbling. Ugh. We could've beaten the Falcons. Tough one. 2010 we woke up too late. Should've won.

Other games that stick with me. 86 Browns loss. My first real memory so not as big as the other two to me.

Fake Spike still haunts me. Brutal loss.

Doug Brien shanking the kicks in Pittsburgh in 2004 playoffs. That is a tough one to swallow too.

NCJetsfan likes this.