NY Post: OTA skirmish proves Jets taking on personality of their coaches

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, May 30, 2019.

1. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

The only way this has a positive or negative spin is via perception. If the Jets start winning more games than they're losing, then the talking heads will point to that feisty, trash talking, yet HEALTHY stuff as vital to the Jets being what that winning team they've become. Now if the Jets suck again and win a putrid 4 or 5 games, the talking heads will point to this report and claim that feisty, trash talking became a CANCER early and Gase and Williams are a bunch of nimrods for not nipping this in the bud.

2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I can see either side blaming each other for losses. That wouldn’t be so good. You don’t want them too divided. Still on the same team.

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If the Jets can't beat the Jets how are they going to beat the Pats?

Jets69, ukjetsfan and Acad23 like this.
  4. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Exactly new culture, same was said with every coach they bring in, I believe it when the season start, nothing new here, proof will be on the field

dawinner127, Ralebird and jets_fan like this.
  5. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

And when the next guy is hired, and they're having more relaxed practices after the more hardline approach taken by Gase and Williams, they'll all be talking about how they're changing the culture yet again.

How about we actually try changing the culture by actually winning something instead of just talking about it? That might actually accomplish something.

BrowningNagle, FJF and Jets69 like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

First, let me say that I both totally understand and respect your skepticism and doubt, and that of every other person who has expressed doubt//skepticism. You're right that every offseason there are fluff pieces to try to excite and engage the fanbase. There have been articles like the one's we've seen this offseason with every new HC that has been hired. You're also right that what is said in the offseason doesn't matter. It's what they do and how they play when the season starts that counts.

Second, let me say that I am not trying to change your or anyone else's minds. I'm a little surprised that I'm as optimistic as I am considering the Jets' history and the Johnsons' cluelessness.

Third, the reason I am optimistic is that I see some differences between this offseason and previous offseasons/hirings. One difference is that our HC is an offensive-minded HC and is said to be a creative, innovative offensive mind who tailors his offense to the strength of his players. How long has it been since we've had a HC who was an OC, offensive mind? Twenty-three years. Rich Kotite (1995-96), was the last one, and many, if not most, of us knew that he would be a disaster. Before him it was Bruce Coslet (1990-93) and before that, Joe Walton (1983-89). In fact, I think that Gase is only the fourth offensive HC in our history. That alone gives me some hope that we will finally develop an NFL caliber offense and start stressing scoring points and stop the long line of defensive #1 draft picks. Another difference is that we have a young QB who is quite likely a FQB in the making. How long has it been since we had a QB that we can get excited about and have any real hope in? 2000? 1998? Before that? Another reason is the offensive players we have added during the offseason. How long since we had one of the top RBs in the NFL? How long since we've had one of the best LGs in the NFL? Ever? How long since we've had one of the best slot receivers in the NFL and who is a perfect fit stylistically for our offense?

Another reason is our DC. How long has it been since we had one of the best DCs in the NFL? 1997 with Belichik? That DC doesn't have a bare cupboard with which to work, either. He has one of the top MLBs in the NFL in Mosley, one of the best SSs in the NFL in Adams, Leon Williams, Harry Anderson, Steve McLendon and Avery Williamson, and two rookies with a ton of potential in Quinnen Williams and Jachai Polite.

Finally, we have a chance to hire today a very respected scouting and personnel man in Joe Douglas that knows and likes Gase, to be our new GM. How long has it been since we had a GM and HC who were on the same page? Tannenbaum/Mangini?

Could it all turn to shit? Absolutely! If if could anywhere, it could here. It won't surprise me if it does, but unless or until that happens, I'm going to be hopeful that if nothing else, the law of averages finally came into play, and the Jets have it right.

cval and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I just need to know

If someone’s alarm clock doesn’t go off and they are late, how will Williams handle it?

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

KurtTheJetsFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I can't imagine Gase or Williams being as nice or understanding as Bowles was. I imagine they will nip that in the bud immediately. Gase is a disciplinarian.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don't know, but I would be sure to set the alarm on phone and on my alarm clock across the room - just in case - if I was on that team

11. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

For the people saying this means nothing and wins are all that matter. You’re partially right.

But what you need to understand is what happens now and into camp is what sets the entire tone and foundation for the season, where the final product results in wins or losses.

This is a foundation builder.

And it’s important.

Acad23 and NCJetsfan like this.