First Up Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, May 30, 2019.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

" impressed Jets with cerebral approach, organizational skills, scouting system and views on running a team."

"'brilliant' talent evaluator"

"If Mike Maccagnan gets the #Jets GM job, it's the best acquisition for that franchise in years. Great eye for talent and an awesome guy"

"I think Mike Maccagnan would be a really strong choice for the Jets GM job. Very well respected. Good eye for draft picks."
    There's a link a few posts up that's the source for these.

Jets69 likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We'll see. No disrespect intended, but hopefully, you're wrong.

3. Ralebird

Seems to me the Johnsons don't put any restrictions and restraints on the GM unless you're speaking of the GM being on an equal footing with the head coach.

Not that it's a minor point but is there anything else?

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He didn't say that they were a playoff team yet. While I don't think we're in the 2008-2010 class yet, we aren't that far away. If our new GM focuses on the OL in the 2020 FA and draft, and we can add a #1 WR type, and Sam develops as hoped, we could have a very good offense in 2020 or 2021.

We have one of the best DCs in the game and we have some very good players on D: L. Williams, J. Adams, C.J. Mosley, and maybe Q. Williams. We also have some pretty good players in A. Williamson, H. Anderson, M. Maye, J. Jenkins. We just added a 1st round talent in Polite at a position of need. I think our D will be very good. I think our offense will struggle some due to the OL, but if Sam shows that he has taken a step forward, with Bell, Crowder, Anderson, Enunwa and Herndon, we should still have a pretty good offense, probably better than any we've had recently except for the 2015 fluke. Osemele will help the OL. Having Winters healthy will help, and hopefully Wesco will help as well.

#104 NCJetsfan, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  5. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Haven't posted in weeks. I am just here to say, go get Broadway Joe Douglas.

6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Ralebird its the same ole stuff "rinse / repeat " no reputable COACH was going to come here under these conditions same applies for any real GM. Hey maybe they will bake Cupcakes for Joe Douglas its been done before maybe this time it actually works , or maybe the Johnsons found a new baker ?

mrjet80 likes this.
  7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Working under Ozzie, I'm sure he learned some things, he was never the man in Baltimore. Douglas even is on record for saying he literally didn't contribute to their SuperBowl run, that the most he did, was pick up their FB from the airport. He was given credit for Joe Flacco. Flacco has always been extremely underwhelming to me.

He worked under Ryan Pace for what, a year? That doesn't impress me at all. What did he actually do during that time he was there? What was he given credit for, as contributions go?

I am very, very, very much underwhelmed by the Eagles drafts since he has been there. There official site can state he "helped assemble" their prior Super Bowl roster, but that is as vague as you can possibly get, the amount of time he was there before that Super Bowl run wasn't very long either, so how much could he have possibly done?

Those credentials do not impress me, especially the drafts where he was supposedly given credit for. No thanks, it wasn't far and above what we've had in Mac, if I look at those drafts, I actually prefer Mac's draft's overall.

Regardless, I'm just not impressed, nothing about him makes me feel like he will be that next great GM.

The ONLY vibe I'm getting is that he will be Gase's "yes man". They can claim that he won't be all day long, Gase can scream it from the rooftops of Gotham, I still wouldn't believe it.

It sounds like he will be the guy, so I guess we shall see. I think we are about to go in a really bad direction, very soon, on multiple levels. I'm not even bracing anymore, just over here saying, fuck it, let's crash into the wall. I got nothing better going on.

Yankjetfan likes this.
  8. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

He was hyped up, you can pick out whatever garbage you can find, It doesn't matter.

He was given credit for a lot of the good drafting the Texans did during his time there, he was regarded as a qualified eye for talent by many during that time, he was chosen out of what, 7-8, different candidates, all being led by Wolf and Casserdly. Wolf is someone I have a lot of respect for, so at that time, everyone was excited because we used a unique method towards finding someone that could bring some actual talent to this team through the draft. In a lot of ways, he did, in a lot of ways, he didn't.

Point is.. It's all bullshit at the end of the day, I look at results, and even then, Mac had a good track record for good drafts with the Texans.

I'm more impressed with his background than I am with Douglas.

It doesn't matter though. I wont be impressed at this point until I actually see results from whoever the fuck we bring to the table.

So far, not on board with, Gase. I haven't been from the start, still can't believe we hired this guy, and it's only got worse so far since the time we hired him, until now.

Like he said though...

If he starts winning, nobody will give a shit, all will be forgiven, and everyone will jump on board.

I don't see that happening, but we shall see.

9. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

That's the Charlie Casselry quote, right? I knew you'd go for that one.

It's pointless to keep arguing with you. If you can't see the difference that's on you. To most everyone else it could not be more obvious that Joe douglas is more highly respected in league circles than Mike maccagnan.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. Ralebird

You are wrong again! Adam Schein wrote that. And it is pointless to have a discussion with you if you just continue to make things up. What difference?

Why do you want to benchmark Mike MacCagnan? This is not about getting someone for the job who is better than MacCagnan, it is about getting the best guy possible. And how do you know whether Douglas or MacCagnan is more respected in league circles - are you an NFL insider?

I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other about any of these candidates and have not endorsed or trashed any of them. I have stated a couple of weeks ago that the Jets need a coach and General Manager that will challenge each other - will that happen with Gase and Douglas, Mr. Insider?

11. jetsclaps

Adam Schein? Even worse.

I'm reading that Joe Douglas is way more respected in league circles than Maccagnan. As I said from the beginning, that is why people are getting excited. So you can try to get cute and call me an "insider," but I addressed why people are excited and how we know Douglas is respected in league circles about 3 or 4 posts ago. So catch up.

Heres a snippet from Cimini on Douglas, after Cimini solicited feedback from 5 NFL executives:

"The presumptive favorite received high marks for his ability as a talent evaluator. No one had anything negative to say about his football acumen, not even competitors -- which is a rarity in the business. A former associate said Douglas, 42, is "a quality option" for the Jets. Another called him "a scout's scout." He was a member of two Super Bowl winners with the Ravens and another with the Eagles."

Yeah, I cant imagine why fans think he'd be a good choice.

NYJetsO12, SOJAZ and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  12. Ralebird

We know it because you are reading about it? Catch up to this - you may have read an opinion or two, that does not create fact. When insiders anywhere are asked about other insiders seldom is heard a discouraging word. I'm not saying Douglas is not highly respected but we've heard that about every candidate for every job because that's the kind of things people say, especially when they don't even need to be named. Your own quote produces at least two unnamed sources with fairly pedestrian compliments and not a single attribution from the "5 NFL executives." I'm not impressed.

Except for Mehta's every single quote found for MacCagnan four years ago was positive. You want to agree with everything Cimini writes and scorn Schein? Fine - have at it.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  13. jetsclaps

Ok.

Jets81, Falco21 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes ..you are right..it won't be "in no time" ..but I doubt years

Perhaps I am drinking a cup more of the Soma than I should

I will bet ya dollars to donuts if Douglas arrives he and Gase will be quick fixing our OL..maybe not up to the level of Moore Faneca and woody but he will get a competitive center pronto which is important.

Compare our 2019 group of WR s with Braylon Edwards Holmes and Keller . 2010 is Not that much of an Edge at all imho

Plus you have a true Super Star in Bell ..miles ahead of Tomlinson and Richardson

Even on D with Adams and Mosley as leaders we are not light years behind Leonard Pool Thomas Scott and Pace. The CBs were better with Mevi$ and Cromartie. Shore up the CB a bit and it will be good to go

And finally ...which USC QB you want back there Sam or Sancho the buttfumbler ???? hahahah

alleycat9 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I dunno..the fact that Gase has already thrown his weight around and seems to have the Owners ear makes me think it's more a big question of who want to work with the HC and his strong personality

We all know that structure aside, the Johnsons don't know Football...every candidate showing up right now for GM including Kelly and Fontinou must know that ..ha

So it's chemistry and getting along with theCoaching Staff..all good organizations have to have that

Remember..there are only 32 GM NFL positions in the world ..it's still gonna draw candidates

The last time J and J listened to that bad toupee Charlie Casserlie's sales pitch for Mm ..bad move

16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

LOL This is exactly how you do it!

Anytime Ralebird goes on his bullshit rants, just say "OK". No point in wasting your time. I made that mistake and came to the same conclusion as you lol

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yeah...

Best to bail before the "you're putting words in my mouth" and "quit making things up" stuff starts.

After that he just gets upset. o_O

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Douglas would be coming from the same exact power structure the jets are using

KurtTheJetsFan and CBG like this.
  19. Ralebird

I take exception to the term "bullshit rants." If you are of the belief that anything I have posted here is inaccurate cite what it is and how it is wrong. Until then you are the one posting bullshit.

20. Ralebird

Or just keep things accurate; it's actually much easier.