First Up Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, May 30, 2019.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Idzik wasn't this highly regarded either.

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I do know one thing.

Once a coach or GM leaves the NY Jets....he's (usually) no longer "highly regarded".

3. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

gase - tail
    next gm - dog

CBG likes this.
  4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

That’s why the Jets job is so interesting. It’s where executives careers go to die.

You must have serious confidence if you believe you can come here and win.

Ralebird and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Cheer up..

It's a two way street ..Douglas is not stupid enough to just grab anything and commit hair kari by coming here

Sam D is as good as Wentz , he knows Gase and imo it's a great opportunity for him to get in on a Team with big potential ...we will be as good as 2008-2010 Team in no time;)

I wouldn't sell the 2019 Jets so short

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Even Belichick bailed before the voodoo got hold of his soul.

7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I’m not selling the team short. I believe they have a shot at some success this season. The point was, Douglas would have to feel good about himself and the situation to take the job because of the Jets poor history. It generally doesn’t end well for anyone who comes here.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Now that the games are over Douglas order whatever you want it’s on us.

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I'm sure if you go back to when he was hired there were articles telling us all about it. Hindsight doesn't count.

10. Ralebird

You don't remember hearing it so it didn't happen? I don't think a coach or GM was hired in the NFL in the past thirty years who wasn't called some version of "highly respected." It's so common it's meaningless.

As far as the resume of Douglas goes, the SB victory is a biggie. What more do I want? I dunno, maybe a few more? Certainly what's on a resume is objective and factual and therefore much more valuable than the subjective BS so many like to hang their hats on. I don't know how anyone can dismiss a resume as just a piece of paper.

11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

They won't hire anyone with confidence because anyone in their right mind will not take this job with the restrictions and restraints that the Jonson boys apply. I mean which GM worth a damn is going to come here knowing they don't have control ? OHHHH thats right Idzik and Mac--> LOL there were 2 winners

Brook! and alleycat9 like this.
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Looked at a bunch of articles at the time.

Basically they said he was Casserly's bitch-boy...and that was a compliment.

Maccagan is regarded in league circles as a grinder, a quiet and unassuming background player with solid evaluation skills. Some wonder if he'll be able to handle the glare of the New York spotlight.

He has very little experience on the business end, in terms of salary cap issues and contracts, which was Idzik’s strength. But Maccagnan is known to have a terrific eye for talent.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  13. alleycat9

i appreciate your rose colored glasses outlook. i just dont see what you are basing it on. 2008-2010 was a pretty good team. had alot of really good pieces on both sides of the ball. most notably a phenomenal offensive line. which took quite a bit of effort to put together. 2 first round draft picks, a guy who a seasoned veteran in alan faneca and damien woody and brandon moore. Ours does not compare. we have a great running back, a 2nd year qb who has potential but hasnt realized it yet and may never. we have no real #1 wr. our rb is probably the best wr on the team, not taking anything away from quincy enunwa but he just went through a major injury.

im just not seeing how you can claim that they will be a playoff team that is winning playoff games in no time.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. Ralebird

The funny thing is Casserly and Wolf were "highly regarded" at the time. That may not be so true today but I think most here were happy that WJ got some help with his hiring process in 2015.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  15. Ralebird

I hope the new guy has "a terrific eye for talent."

16. alleycat9

the setup is just assinine. put someone in charge of football have the gm report to him, have the coach report to the gm. why is this so hard for these 2 dummies that have absolutely no clue about football or really anything else that they are involved in.

NYJetsO12 and CBG like this.
  17. Ralebird

Here's a bunch of tweets from 2015 when he got hired:

https://www.ganggreennation.com/201...search-mike-maccagnan-impressing-interviewers

Looks like MM, the man everyone loves to hate, is the only one who got it right.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, because it's expected. It's part if the wine and dine experience when pro teams interview a GM or HC candidate.

19. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Heres the SI article when Maccagnan was hired. No mention of him being respected in league circles. They basically go over his resume.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/01/13/new-york-jets-hire-mike-maccagnan-general-manager

Heres the ESPN article on Maccagnans hire.

http://www.espn.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/12163225/new-york-jets-hire-mike-maccagnan-gm

You've got this ringing endorsement.
    "Maccagan is regarded in league circles as a grinder, a quiet and unassuming background player with solid evaluation skills. Some wonder if he'll be able to handle the glare of the New York spotlight."

Oh boy, a "grinder." How thrilling.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He has a ton of experience working under Ozzie Newsome one of the best GMs of the last 20 years or so, also worked under Ryan Pace in Chicago, and is credited by the Eagles and Eagle fans with helping assemble their current roster and the SB Champion. What other candidate has those credentials? I don't see what's not to like. With any assistant GM it's not going to get much better than that. One can only get a total read on an experienced GM, and they're only available when they get fired for doing a lousy job with the draft. Dorsey was only available because it was a mutual decision. He did great with the draft and FA, but was too secretive for the owner and didn't play well with the rest of the organization. Chris would have never hired him after Mac.

NYJetsO12 and SOJAZ like this.