NY Post: OTA skirmish proves Jets taking on personality of their coaches

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, May 30, 2019.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

https://nypost.com/2019/05/30/ota-skirmish-proves-jets-taking-on-personality-of-their-coaches/

[​IMG]
    Jordan Jenkins got into an OTA skirmish with Kelvin Beachum.

The calendar hasn’t turned to June, yet there were the Jets on Wednesday, pulling and pushing each other trying to a break up a fight during a team practice at Florham Park.

Veteran offensive tackle Kelvin Beachum, normally a mild-mannered sort, didn’t like something linebacker Jordan Jenkins did, and for a second it looked more like MMA than the NFL. Order was quickly restored and the practice resumed, but it seemed a bit more than necessary for this time of year.

Head coach Adam Gase had just praised his players before the workout for keeping their cool amid the first days of competition under a new coaching staff. Tackling is prohibited, but players from rookies to veterans are trying to make an impression.

“It’s tough sometimes in OTAs to keep guys [standing] up and make sure it doesn’t get out of control because they’re competitive,” Gase said before practice. “They’ve been good with that.”

Then the defense started jawing at the offense and the offense started jawing back, and soon teammates were rolling on the grass trying to take swings at each other. Such overflow of emotions is more common during training camp, when the temperatures are warmer and the stakes for future employment are higher.

Wednesday was supposed to be just another voluntary OTA, which usually generates more yawns than fisticuffs. But there’s a feisty competition brewing between the offense and defense, fueled by an endless flow of trash talk. If the two units already can’t get along, training camp in July should really be fun.

After Beachum and Jenkins tussled, safety Jamal Adams and wide receiver Josh Bellamy a free agent signed from the Bears, got into a jawing match about being eager to get in pads and settle their early differences.

Gase and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams don’t see a problem with the enhanced competitive spirit, nor did many of the players — who see the budding rivalry between units as good competition that will lead to a better team culture.

“It’s good for us because we’re trying to instill a new culture especially on the defense,” defensive lineman Henry Anderson said. “We’re trying to bring some new energy and a different style of play on this defense: high energy, really passionate. That’s what we want to be every day.”

Defensive end Leonard Williams playfully blamed the coaches for the early competitiveness between the two units. He called Gase and Williams “crazy” in a good way. You get the feeling Gase isn’t ever going to step foot in one of Williams’ defensive meetings and offer an opinion, while Williams wants to make quarterback Sam Darnold better by practicing against one the league’s top defenses.

“Having them two go at it at practice trickles down to the players, and then the players go at it,” Leonard said.

For now, it’s seems to be a “healthy” competition as Leonard described it, though who knows how deep the lines will be drawn by training camp. It’s clear Williams wants to build a fast and feisty unit desperate for turnovers.

Listen to the players and they describe their defense under former coach Todd Bowles as more read-and-react. They’ll be much more aggressive under Williams, whose booming voice could be heard throughout the OTA session.

“He definitely brings a lot of passion and energy every day,” Anderson said. “We’ll be half asleep and he’ll come in yelling. He’s a loud, vocal guy. … He definitely gets everybody’s energy up. He’s definitely pretty unique.”

The defense is already taking on Williams’ image — building an attack-first mentality.

“We’re not waiting to compete,” Williams said. “We’re not waiting to get in pads or waiting for the season to start. We’re trying to take it day by day and it starts now.”

If somehow the Jets win the Super Bowl under this coaching regime, you can expect Gase to be carried off the field by the offense and Williams by the defense. No hard feelings.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

OMG! I love reading stuff like this! It makes me want to stick my face in a fan. LOL I can't help but get excited reading things like this. I'm loving Gase and Williams more and more. I just hope it doesn't blow up and all turn to crap, but I don't think it will as long as the team can carry this competitive spirit and continue to get better. My main concern is that they don't peak too soon or burn out, but I love that the players are enjoying the competition and seem to love Gase and Williams. I'm sure that Williams and Gase will keep them under control, and if the skirmishes/fights continue, they'll do something to stop them.

I've wanted a true attacking D for years, so I can't wait for the season to start and see how they play. I'm really excited for Sam's development and the potential the offense has, if the OL and particularly the C position doesn't bring it down.

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

sounds good to me. a culture of more fire and passion is a warm welcome after the mundane bowles era. now if only we can land a GM

Jets_Grinch and Mr mittens like this.
  4. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

LOVE this!!

Hope this continues! New attitude and a new culture!

Mr mittens likes this.
  5. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Hopefully, this equates to a better product on Sundays.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Competition is good, but I hope they remember who their teammates are at the end of the day. Getting to point of fighting is getting close to the line where resentments are born. I look to the coaches - Gase and Williams - to keep it focused and productive and not get out of control.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  7. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

I guess this PR is designed to get the fans excited. Don't take it too seriously. It's May.

Ralebird and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You could predict these kind of stories once Greg Williams came on board.
    Next thing you know the placekickers will be picking fights...:mad:

Hopefully they can keep it to a nice simmer...there's three months before games start.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. Footballgod214

Gase is going to bring in enforcers from the NHL to keep his offensive playmakers safe from William's animals

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

FJF, NCJetsfan, Red Menace and 2 others like this.
  11. Stagman

Stagman Active Member

Me likey, shit like this happens in OTA it is a good thing as long as they keep there cool during the game.

Brook! likes this.
  12. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

It's all about the Ws to me.

Most of this talk is just hot air.

Win frickin' games, division title, make the playoffs that is exciting.

hornblower likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

is Le'Veon Bell in attendance?

14. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

No he's not there.

Until he misses a "involuntary" workout, I won't get stressed about it. Apparently he's keeping constant contact with Gase and he will report when he has to. I'm good with that

15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Zzzzzzzzzzz. Whatever.

Jets69 likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Footballgod214 likes this.
  17. Footballgod214

lol...why do you guys even bother logging on in the off season?

18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

For a few reasons..

1) I use Gang Green for more than just Jets related stuff
    2) When it gets to under 100 days I always love looking at Matt Robinsons thread of who he posts
    3) GM Search

You are right though. I do post significantly less in the offseason because of articles like this. I just happened to be sitting at my desk and saw this one and read it.

Brook! and Footballgod214 like this.
  19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Against my better judgment, I log on to check if the are posts that analyze the potential of the team, or lack thereof.

But usually, I end up skimming across dozens of posts from people trying to predict things they are hopelessly unqualified to predict, and also a fair number of puff piece articles like the one in your OP.

FJF, Footballgod214 and Brook! like this.
  20. Footballgod214

That seems to be all that's out there....doom a gloom from writers who don't know shit, or fluff pieces. Probably won't change until we get well into training camp.