First Up Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, May 30, 2019.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

2. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Hope he gets the job and brings some good scouts with him.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Wouldn't the scouts be under contract with the Eagles?

CBG likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

A lot of scout contracts end after the draft, so maybe some of those are available.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Good companion article on what Gase is looking for in the next GM.

https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/05/what-is-adam-gase-looking-for-in-jets-next-gm.html

“[He] did an unbelievable job ... of sending me in the direction of guys to evaluate, whether it be in free agency or in the college draft,” Gase told Breer. "I didn’t waste time in those areas, because [Grier] was dead on. He knew exactly the type of players I like, character I like. He could tell you, ‘You’re gonna like this guy’ or ‘This guy needs to be a guy we target.’ And he understood our offense, defense and special teams. … He gets it and he knows how to take that conversation, point out guys and be like, ‘This is what we’re looking for.’”

How refreshing to think we could have a GM who might actually understand what the HC needs, and how to acquire talent that meshes together! BTW: This is why it's smart of Chris J. to include Gase in the search, (NOT because Gase is a control freak who demands veto power over the selection).

6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Reading great things about him. Hope he gets the job.

boozer32 and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Listening to Douglas talk about how they identified Dillard and when he began dropping started making calls and jumped up to grab him is a breath of fresh air.

Macc once had a chance to go get Laremy Tunsil but the picks were too much to give up. Those picks turned out to be Darron Lee, Christian Hackenberg and Juston Burris.

8. MAC didnt know how to pull the trigger on a deal or how to create a deal good for both sides.

I had a joke to myself that if reports saud the Jets were “close to a deal” or “in trade discussions” it basically wasnt happening

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Macc had balls the size of peas.. that's why.

10. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Mac just never cared about the o-line evidently. It seems Texans way of ignoring the position rubbed off on him. Tackles are right after QB and maybe pass rush in terms of position importance.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Ouch. This post stings!

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

this is a good article about his role with the eagles who he joined Jan 2017

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com...as-and-what-will-he-do-for-the-eagles-in-2017

this is the important part

He’s the one to set the team’s draft board, the hierarchy which determines the way the team and its scouts approach the scouting process, as well as ranking prospects and, ultimately, deciding which players to take when the team is on the clock.

so who has he drafted?

2017 (round, Pick in round, Pick overall)
    1 14 14 Derek Barnett Defensive End Tennessee
    2 11 43 Sidney Jones Cornerback Washington
    3 35 99 Rasul Douglas Cornerback West Virginia
    4 12 118 Mack Hollins Wide Receiver North Carolina
    4 26 132 Donnel Pumphrey Running Back San Diego State
    5 22 166 Shelton Gibson Wide Receiver West Virginia
    5 41 184 Nathan Gerry Linebacker Nebraska
    6 31 214 Elijah Qualls Defensive Tackle Washington

2018 (round, Pick in round, Pick overall)
    2 17 49 Dallas Goedert Tight End South Dakota State
    4 25 125 Avonte Maddox Cornerback Pittsburgh
    4 30 130 Josh Sweat Defensive End Florida State
    6 32 206 Matt Pryor Offensive Tackle TCU
    7 15 233 Jordan Mailata Offensive Tackle N/A

1st though here is no o-line in 2017, and 2 o-line but 6th and 7th rounds in 2018. the same complaint people had here about mac who just used a 3rd rounder on an OT.

2nd thing is heavy on defense again. of their 4 highest picks these 2 years (1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd) we see 2 CB, 1 DE, and 1 TE

3rd thing is, none of these players are worth a dam. in the same 2 years the jets got adams, maye, herndon, and darnold.

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The Eagles didn't draft OL the last two years because they already have a very good OL. Same goes for the rest of their offense. They drafted defense because defense was their weakness. As for the players, Derek Barnett was quite good before he got hurt, Rasul Douglas is a promising young cornerback, and PFF actually graded Dallas Goedert above Herndon. These drafts aren't great, but considering the Eagles were picking 14th and 32nd instead of 6th and 6th, I don't think they're any better than ours.

14. GasedAndConfused

i agree they picked much lower which is harder to land a stud and yeah their o-line is good but their RB situation has been and still si quite iffy and not addressed. also their WRs are pretty weak. weak enough they traded a pick mid season to bring on golden tate. only legit WR they have is jeffrey who they signed as a FA and is often injured. their offense needs skill positions badly and they drafted 3 of those in 2017 who didnt' pan out. goedert is tough to judge due to limited play time and being stuck behind the top TE (or at worst top 3 TE) in the NFL in ertz. barnett is tough didn't start at all as a rookie but played every game and had 5 sacks so can't complain too much. he did start and play in 6 games in 2018 before getting hurt and was on a similar pace for a 6-7 sack season. seems pretty average and realistically not as good as anderson has been for us who we traded a 7th rounder to get. douglas might be an ok find. he's played well so far as a 3rd rounder so yeah a good pick there but overall not good and a lot of busts. way worse then macs record of drafting those 2 years. even if we say all of the 3 players you listed were good picks thats out of 13 picks. even if we consider 6th and 7th rounders throwaway picks that's still only 3 out of 10 picks in the top 5 rounds panning out. if mac drafted 30% good he would be even more hated here

15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Joe Douglas wasn’t responsible for the Eagles draft so looking at the Eagles draft and judging him makes zero sense.

I am excited about Douglas, mostly because I heard an interview with him about a tear or so ago and came away very impressed but also because he is very highly regarded and has been a part of two of the most successful franchises of the last two decades or so.

As always though with GM candidates the proof will be in the pudding and nothing he has done prior can really tell us how he will be when he is in charge of the franchise.

He comes across as extremely bright and I don’t get the feeling he needs coffee to get him energized.

16. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I’d take a warm beer as GM at this point- If Johnson is in charge

I’ve started to feel with BPA being so prominent any one of us could pick rounds 1-3 using google search for mock drafts, and wind up mid pack

If he’s a 4-7 round guy, I’m in

17. GasedAndConfused

umm did you not read the OP? i literally pulled out the part from the article saying he was the one who mad all the picks and built the draft board

18. GasedAndConfused

he didn't make a single good pick past the 3rd round in 2 years and even his picks in the top 3 rounds were iffy at bets overall

19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

It's a fair question, as I'd say our last two drafts were better than the last two Eagles drafts.
    But hey the grass is always greener.

That said, I do think Joe Douglas is a good candidate and his time to get a shot is now.
    It's hard not to like his Ravens scouting experience.
    I also think he'd stuff Gase in a locker if he needed to.

He'd be a good hire, and hopefully he can use his connections to assemble a good scouting crew, and a good cap guy.

20. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member