GM Interviews To Start This Week

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, May 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

By adding Fontenot it makes me think that the Douglas deal might not be done as we think. It'll be interesting to see how the next two weeks plays out. Every one being interviewed does seem to have upside and come from orginizations that have good drafting history. Fitterer might be my least favorite seeing what Seattle has done the last few years and maybe knowing Idzik came here from there.

2. Cant really make heads or tails on any of the candidates bc its just a guessing game.That said everyone of them worked their way up scouting chain the right way & have plenty of experience. All seem to be highly respected as well. At the very least this doesnt appear to be Korn & Ferry 2.0..which is a very good thing

almbleamal and CotcheryFan like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why the bolded sentence? Mark Ingram is a very good football player/RB.

4. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Korn Ferry. How much did they pay them? As a ticket holder I want a refund offset our ticket cost with them. On the MMQB podcast this morning Jenny Vrentas even said hiring a firm is a bad idea. I agree. Have any of them had success? I get having Wolf and Casserly consult but a firm. Crazy. That being said Wolf Casserly were no help either. I want a refund too. I wouldn't of lead them to Macagnan but definitely Bowles that hiring period. Pay me.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I think he's a good second fiddle when you already have the stud back but I don't think that's how he views himself. We'll see how it works out with the Ravens, they have a unique offense so it's probably a good fit for him but in a traditional offense I don't think he's all that special. He didn't have that breakout year until he had Kamara, and that's fine but Ingram just isn't a lead back.

Edit: and from the Saints perspective, I think they were always a step slower and a little more predictable with Ingram on the field.

6. NCJetsfan

https://www.nola.com/saints/2015/02/new_orleans_saints_terry_fonte.html

New Orleans Saints' Terry Fontenot has greater 'voice' in front office after changes
    Updated Feb 25, 2015; Posted Feb 25, 2015

New Orleans Saints general manager Mickey Loomis (right) watches Senior Bowl practice with Terry Fontenot, the team's pro scouting director, on Jan. 20, 2015, at Ladd Peebles Stadium in Mobile, Ala. (Evan Woodbery, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune)

Terry Fontenot's title is the same as it was a year ago, but the New Orleans Saints' pro personnel director said his role has expanded after a series of front office changes last month.

Ryan Pace, the top executive under Saints general manager Mickey Loomis, left to become the GM of the Chicago Bears. The Saints hired former Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland to supervise college scouting after dismissing longtime college scouting director Rick Reiprish.

Fontenot, 34, said in an interview with the team website, that Pace was "like a brother to him."

"I've definitely had more of a voice," Fontenot said. "When you have a person like Ryan leave, multiple people have to step up. Look, we were 7-9 last year. ... We've got to bring in the right types of players starting this offseason to get back to that point where we're winning championships. That's what we want to do."

Fontenot said he wouldn't focus exclusively on pro players, while Ireland would be able to offer input beyond college scouting.

"Mickey and coach (Sean) Payton really like for us to be cohesive and for us to blend, and so we're definitely going to do that," Fontenot said. "I'll get to do some college stuff, just like Jeff will do a lot of pro stuff. Having a former GM and a guy that's done all the things he's done, you've got to take advantage of that."

Loomis has frequently referred to Fontenot as a future general manager, a compliment that Fontenot said was "humbling."

The former Tulane football player and Lake Charles native joined the team 12 years ago as a low-level assistant.

"I think it says a lot about this organization," Fontenot said. "You watch Mickey Loomis -- who I think is the best in the league -- and coach Payton -- I think he's the best in the league -- and the way they do things in an organization like this and you'll learn a lot.

"I think that's why people get opportunities from here. We understand that, and it's good. But at the end of the day, you've got to win football games if anybody's going to get an opportunity. So right now that's what we're looking forward to -- bringing in the right players so we can win games and win championships."

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

Thanks. I agree that he isn't a top-tier RB, but in today's NFL, depending upon one's offense, I don't think one necessarily has to have a top-tier RB. We have seen a number of teams flourish with RB by committee. With Ingram pounding the LOS between the tackles, as a short-yardage and Red Zone back, and a shiftier, faster RB who can take things wide and is a good receiver, and offense can function very well.

I think that Ingram will do very well with the Ravens, and would have done well here. I think the Saints are gonna regret letting him walk.

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I do think he'll succeed with the Ravens because of how unique and creative their offense is going to be. He'll benefit from the defense always having to secure the edge pretty much any time Lamar Jackson takes a snap. I don't think he would have been anything more than average here at best and I think the Saints won't miss a beat replacing him with Latavius Murray.

9. NCJetsfan

According to Ganggreen.com:

I like that the team will speak with at least a couple of candidates before they do Douglas. In that way, they'll get a few different perspectives on the Jets' situation. I just hope that Douglas is truly interested in the job and will interview. If he does, I think he will impress and will get the job.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Low energy McCagnan always had a styrofoam coffee cup in hand...

this dude looks like he would always have a can of Miller Lite in hand. I like it

12. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

We could also be trying to bring in guys in senior exec roles. Kelly has been linked to Douglas’ staff if he’s hired as GM.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The big question right now is not who the Jets have reached out to but who agreed to come for an interview.

14. 101GangGreen101

The #1 option has accepted the interview for this weekend. Both Chicago’s Champ Kelly and Seattle’s Scott Fitterer are going to meet with the Jets. Fitterer’s interview is set for Thursday and Friday in New Jersey.

15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Don’t let this guy leave the building, if he’s the guy just sign him and cancel the rest of the scheduled interviews.

16. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

given how well the eagles and ravens have done in the draft, any guy who has experience in both organizations, has to be the top qualified candidate.

17. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

It’s rare a candidate checks all the boxes. Douglas checks them all.

18. 101GangGreen101

Hopefully they will have a few of those interviews done prior to the interview with Douglas

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Please tell me the players that don't want to play for Gase right now

What's interesting about the comments here is that we have time traveled 5 or 6 months to the future and Gase has already lost the locker room or gone backwards to the Mangini days

Carry on..

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

At times, I like to look at other fans views on their players / FO:

Eagle fans are not happy right now. Chris Long throwing out the endorsement.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.