GM Interviews To Start This Week

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, May 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It's possible Kelly is also good. Can't put all of your eggs in one basket. Always good to have a backup plan.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Read up on Kelly, hes a rising gm candidate. Personally we would be lucky to have either of these guys considering gms had avoided the Jets in the past.

Let's not be ignorant about this.

boozer32 likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I agree with you about the Rooney Rule overall but this doesn’t apply to Kelly. He’s a legit candidate.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree. If white owners aren't forced to interview minority candidates, then they can continue in their ignorance to think that no minority candidate is qualified. By forcing them to interview minority candidates, over a period of time hopefully those biases and prejudices will be dropped.

In the case of a minority candidate, they certainly won't be hired if they don't get an interview. Even though they may know going into an interview that they stand little chance of being hired for this job, they can use it to learn and grow themselves, and better prepare themselves for future interviews. Interviewing is an art/skill that can be developed and improved upon. It gives minority candidates opportunities to practice and develop their interviewing skills. Champ Kelly has advanced through the FO ranks just as Tony Dungy, Todd Bowles, Anthony Lynn, Mike Tomlin, Ron Rivera, and others did through the coaching ranks, and deserves the chance to interview for GM positions. In just a few years following the institution of the Rooney Rule, the number of black HCs in the NFL doubled. As I see it, the problem with the rule is that they only have to interview one minority candidate. For positions where there are more than one minority candidate available, teams should be required to interview at least two candidates.

Between 2013-2017 there were 35 HC vacancies. The Harvard Business Review conducted a study and determined that when teams interviewed multiple minority candidates the chances of a minority candidate being hired are greatly enhanced. Now that could just be that the owners who interviewed multiple minority candidates are not bigots, but still the point remains, minority candidates can't get hired if they don't get interviews. The rule was just strengthened due to the Raiders mockery of it before they hired Jon "Chucky" Gruden. They should have required that every team has to interview at least two minority candidates where sufficient minority candidates exist.

#64 NCJetsfan, May 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
  5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If the hot chick you’re in love with agrees to marry you, you marry her. Get Douglas signed ASAP!

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

And then make sweet sweet love to him all night long. Make him have a baby.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

OMG!!! We agree again!

I hope this isn't a trend.:eek:

Attackett likes this.
  8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If that’s what it takes we’ll find out real fast about Gase’s commitment to winning.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That reminds me of that old joke: What's the difference between contributing and committing?

It's like a breakfast of bacon and eggs: the chicken contributes; the pig is committed.:p

Attackett and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I disagree with the opening part. The Jets have already nailed down their "candidate". Bringing someone else is does nothing to advance minority hiring. The owners aren't better at it. They are just better at disguising it. The rest of post is great.

11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

50-50 shot which way will it fall for the Jets? If I'm not mistaken they said the very same thing about Maccagnan.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's fine. We can agree to disagree. IMO the Jets still having to interview a minority candidate gives that candidate practice refining his interview skills. It gets his name in the media. I imagine that owners talk as well, and if a minority candidate impresses an owner, he may comment to other owners about it, and that may cause another owner to seriously consider him.

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. twown

twown Well-Known Member

This is a really complicated subject, but if I'm a minority candidate, I'll jump to take the interview even if I know I'm not being sincerely considered. Everything else being equal, the 50+ white owner, on whatever subconscious level, is probably going to feel more "comfortable" -- or whatever word you want to use -- with a white candidate. That's natural. White dude has been hanging with white dudes all his life.

So what am I, as a minority candidate, supposed to do? Blow it off because it's just a charade? No, I'm going to present myself, sell myself, and then I'm going to say, "So that's my spiel. What's good? What's not? What does your preferred candidate have -- besides the obvious -- that I don't? How can I improve? Who can I call for more advice on this?"

The shared time alone is invaluable for both parties. Owners get their eyes opened a little. Minority candidates gain access to real power. Tension melts. This can't help but gradually erode barriers over time. Good rule.

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You've never been married, have you?

abyzmul and Red Menace like this.
  15. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Why do we want Joe Douglas so bad. Educate me.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Because, with the extremely limited information we have access to on this subject, he is the candidate that has been associated with the least amount of failure.

That's basically it. Oh yeah, and he is also rumored to have some vague amicable association with Adam Gase.

Ralebird, BacktoQueens, FJF and 2 others like this.
  17. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

That's not the intent of the Rooney Rule. Do you really think the white owners cant think a black guy can't be a GM? If that was the case, they still wouldn't hire them after an interview.

Prior to the rule people tended to stay in their bubbles. White executives mainly associated with white executives, and black with black. Not because either side was racist, but that's just how it is sometimes. I bet that's how it is in your own life. So when a white owner's white friend would recommend candidates, they'd all be white people because that's who he knew.

With the rule, you are now forcing more black names to be interviewed, and thus rising the profile of qualified black candidates.

Edit: this is only in response to your first paragraph.

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Twitter said so.

boozer32 and BacktoQueens like this.
  19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

But did Baldinger say so?

Seriously I'm kinda curious if this is the guy he was referring to..
    Being a big ole former Olineman currently in Philly, it probably was.

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

That’s one way to look at it I guess. Or you can just do a simple Internet search and see that he works for the Ravens for 15 years and the last time I checked they were one of the most highly regarded franchises in the league when it came to scouting talent. Then he went to the Eagles and was the director of Scouting when they built their championship team.

The access we have to information isn’t all that limited.

NCJetsfan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.