Next week is Chad's last chance: thoughts from a Chad fan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Gubernaculum, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

I'm as big a Chad Pennington homer as there is. I rooted hard for this guy to come back from injury. He's the reason I truly got passionate about football in 02.

It's getting hard to be as gung-ho about him. He's a great guy, no doubt. It's just painful to watch him be as inconsistent as he is. That type of inconsistency is reserved for rookies and Eli Manning ;) At his peak, he'd never throw picks at the rate he's doing.

Regardless, if we lose next week and Chad struggles, even I will say its time to start playing Clemens. I'll still treasure my Pennington jersey (its the first that I purchased) and he'll still probably be my favorite Jet player of all time.

It pains me to say this but... Chad's on thin ice with me. Given my support of him, I'm sure others feel a lot more strongly about this. It's just painful to reach this realization about a favorite player. I felt the same way when Ewing was winding down in NY (though I detested the way he was sent off).

2. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

well if we lose it.. there will be no point in starting chad. we will be out of playoff contention.

3. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

More importantly, if we lose it's time to turn the page. It's damn tough for me to say that.

4. themasochist

themasochist New Member

Chad didn't have alot of time yesterday. The pocket was collapsing pretty fast and that probably neutralized some of the deep routes. He wasn't at his best accuracy wise though. I'm wouldn't go about blaming him for this loss.

5. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

With the Run defense the Vikings have put up the past few weeks, this game will be won or lost on Chad's arm. I thought he'd be able to get it done, but this next game truly will let us know what we can expect from him.

6. ColoradoJets

ColoradoJets Member

I am a Chad supporter but it's obvious with the playcalling that the coaches don't trust Chad either. You have to believe though that the other QB's are doing nothing to impress anyone in practices since the coaches never seem to think about pulling him. The one thing Chad has always been good at is not giving the game away with bad plays. But that has changed this year, I don't trust him at all any more unfortunately.

But good teams should still be able to win without great play out of their QB. I can't believe how many games the Bears have won with Rex having more than 3 turnovers. If Chad turns it over 3 times, it's an automatic loss for the Jets. It's amazing how much Chad's play effects this team, it must be a ton of pressure for him knowing if he isn't great, the team isn't great.

7. themasochist

themasochist New Member

Brady had a 78 yd game yesterday. Is he finished too?

8. BigGreenUgly

BigGreenUgly Well-Known Member

It is obvious to me that coaches are starting to worry about Chad. There has been a ton of screen plays and little dunks to Leon Washington. The Bills defense kept it simple and controlled most of the game. Other teams will look at that when playing the Jets.

9. themasochist

themasochist New Member

From what I saw the Bills took away the entire middle of the field yesterday, forcing Chad to go with out routes all day. I don't think our offense in it's entirety executed or shemed well enough to beat the Bills. That was it.

10. themasochist

themasochist New Member

Dunks are not always planned. Many of them are 3rd option reads when everyone else is covered. Go to a game and watch the entire play unfold on the field, then you can cry.

11. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

brady has 3 sb rings. how many chad has?

brady 20 tds 12 ints
    chad 14 tds ,15 ints

brady 9-4
    chad 7-6

brady 40 completions 20+ yards
    chad 29 completions 20+ yards

see the diffrence

12. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Not to mention, Brady has far less talented receivers. I love Chad, but his time is coming.

13. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Or when people are open and the QB is afraid to throw the ball downfield(bonus points if you can guess who I'm referring to here!)

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Which one are you referring to? I have seen you mention Baker at the end of the half, so I'll assume it was that one you are referring to. There were also numerous other opportunities to go downfield that Chad refused to throw..

15. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

A Chad Pennington who gives the ball away is not the QB we envisioned to him. For him to be an effective starter, he can't turn the ball over. There's no real benefit to having a game manager with more INT than TD.

16. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

It's not just yesterday either. I think the Jags game got in his head. He was bad early in that one but kept gunning and ended up with 3 picks. Since then whenever he's struggled or felt pressure he seems to get more and more cautious and afraid to go downfield. Hasn't really worked out for him or the Jets.

17. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I think Spectre just said it best.. I always defended his arm strength & felt that his decision making and accuracy more than made up for his physical shortcomings.. He has been exposed this year as a QB whose decision making may not be all its cracked up to be and has on more than one occasion completely lost his composure.. That kind of QB cannot make up his lack of physical ability. Like Spectre said, what is the point of a game manager at QB if he is not managing the game(or something along those lines)?

18. Jetsman5137

Jetsman5137 New Member

I agree, Chad's decision making is his trademark. I mean when he had his first starts in 2002, could you think of a more confident and good decision making player? This year, Chad must still have that confidence if he believed he could come back after two rotator cuff injuries. I also dont think he's gotten "dumber" as a quarterback. Therefore, I believe his physical weakness is showing because 14 tds and 15 ints is not the mark of error-free quarterback.

On the other hand I guarantee you that putting Clemens in for the last two games is stupid. For one, the team is playing for pride here. 9-7 with no playoffs is great compared to what we predicted in the preseason. Clemens could lose confidence if he loses to crap teams late in the season. Clemens also needs more time practicing seriously with the first team to get rhythm and I guarantee that wont come in a week. Let Clemens know hes going to start next year (Mangini wont tell us until week 3 of next years preseason of course) and let him use what hes seen this year to help him. Again if they keep Pennington in the rest of the year and he turns out bad, all the more reason to bench him.

19. FreemanRB24

FreemanRB24 New Member

Fourth quarter, with time running down and needing three scores, most of the plays had every receiver running a short route, most in the middle of the field. There was at least one play where ALL FIVE RECEIVERS ran 8 yd curls. There are some plays where he dumps the ball off (sometimes ignoring an open man downfield and sometimes not), and some where the pocket collapsed, but on the whole, there was a lot of gutless play calling.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The real problem with Chad, the one that's there even when he's on, is that he does nothing that puts pressure on the opposing defense. He doesn't ever stretch the field in a way that causes them to re-evaluate their options and open up the underneath game that he thrives in.

You can dink and dunk the whole game and all you're really doing is asking the defense (the Jet's defense or poor play by the opponent) to win the game for you. That's the pattern that has characterized the Chad era more than any other.

Now, there have been games here and there where everything was working and the Jets blew somebody out. But for every game like that there have been two stinkers where Chad played poorly and the Jets had no chance to win.

For the most part the Jets wins in the Chad era have been carefully controlled games in which the Jet's defense and the other team's offenses have been what were being tested in the game.

I admire Chad's ability to execute the game plans that he is given, but I am very frustrated by his inability to rise above a good performance by the other team's defense (or a poor performance by his own defense) and win games. That's why the Jets are so bad against good teams during his time as quarterback and it's why a streaking team late in the season is always dangerous against the Jets. If the opponent's defense is clicking or their offense is on fire the Jets are going to lose about 70% of the time, because Chad has no answers in a game in which control of the tempo means nothing and quickstrikes and turnovers are everything.

#20 Br4d, Dec 11, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2006