Good read on trap we avoided....barely.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, May 22, 2019.

1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with you thinking but entrusting Mac with the draft picks I'm not sure.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The problem with Flacco and Eli isn't their contracts, it's that they suck. Whereas the Seahawks have done very well with Wilson. They haven't won the SB again but they're a perennial playoff team. And their problem as of late (which Jets fans would kill to have btw) hasn't been Wilson's contract. It's that their core of guys not named Wilson got old and expensive, and they went through a dry spell in the draft. Cousins is average, so he probably wasn't worth it but the Vikings can still bounce back this season.

3. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

We didn't avoid the quarterback trap, the trap avoided us.

I'm always amused when players move teams to "win rings" and then take a huge slice of salary cap, crippling the rest of the roster. One thing to be said for Brady, assuming that his deal isn't completely fraudulent, is that he hasn't trashed the Pats in pursuit of his own bank balance.

NCJetsfan and Acad23 like this.
  4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Capt Kirk? LMAO

A choke artist who could not win a Playoff Game

Macagnan had the Dunbar Armored Truck backed up with 80 million for him..well we dodged that bullet!

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. No, they didn't have to overpay him. As the article points out, they could have kept Teddy and/or Keenum, could have traded for Rosen, or could have drafted a QB this year or last.

I said all along that Cousins wasn't that good and would demand too much money. I'm thankful that he didn't want to sign with the Jets, and glad that doofus Mac is gone.

6. NCJetsfan

I respectfully, but totally disagree. Even though we didn't think Darnold would be available, we had a chance to draft one of Darnold, Mayfield and Rosen. Cousins isn't that good and is overpriced. He would have cost so much that we wouldn't have been able to upgrade the team much in FA, and we would have been paying him all that money and still had a lot of holes. We probably would not have Bell or Mosley if Cousins was here.

I'm totally against drafting an OG in the top 10, but I would have taken Nelson any day over Cousins. We got fortunate because Cousins knew he wouldn't have a chance to win with the Jets and didn't want to play here. Thank God for that! If Mac had had his way, we'd be the team that would be screwed right now.

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

As the article points out (and we already know) the BEST situation is to have a FRANCHISE QB on his ROOKIE contract, OR Tom Brady, playing for 1/2 price.

Roethlisberger won in his 2nd season.

Wilson in his 2nd season, and should have won again in his 3rd.

Brady's in there too somewhere.

Point is, it's fine to see Sam Darnold doing the same for the Jets in HIS 2nd season, or 3rd at the latest.

If it doesn't happen now, it becomes 10x more difficult with the cap keeping the Bell's and Mosey's off the team.

It's now or never!

INFORMAL POLL: Should we give Gase total control and go all in NOW? Do or die so to speak? Or take a slower, more cautious, conservative approach, hire a GM, new scouting, and go from there?

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't think hiring a competent GM precludes "winning now".

And while I'm okay - for now - allowing Gase be the acting GM, I don't want him controlling everything - he proved in Miami that was too much for him. It's actually too much for anyone IMO.

But it does underscore that Macc's approach was too slow.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  9. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

And Anthony Barr still went back to them. Cousins is Mr. Middling 8-8 and always will be. Always

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

I was so happy he did not sign with the Jets. Can you say overrated?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. twown

twown Well-Known Member

delete, sorry

12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

LOL there is always one supporter of bad GM's and coaches. Bowles even had them.

13. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Well they suck and they also hampered their teams in putting great talent around them due to their contracts

Wilson is a great QB but the Seahawks had to let go of just about everyone with talent over the last few years...they’ve barely made the playoffs but haven’t had enough talent to be actual contenders

I don’t think any QBs except for the very top tier are worth these kinds of contracts

The damn Patriots get away with it because Brady takes way less than market value

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

That should be the case, especially this season if we already have the players. But if we need another season or two and we need a few perfect players, that could change.

It will take time for a new GM and Gase to build a working relationship. It will take time for a new GM to build scouting dept, and for the scouts to move here and get to work.

And if the GM truly picks the players, it will take time (a season or two) for him/her to 'know' the team good enough to pick just the right player. Any GM can pick the BPA, but only a GM that knows the team inside and out can pick that one player who puts the team over the top.

Not that Gase could do any of those things, I only meant if we put Gase in charge of the whole shooting match we take one whole layers out of the equation/organization. Leaner, quicker.

15. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree with you on everything you say. That being said I think the Vikings had flawed thinking. I think they saw Cousins as an upgrade over Keenum and Teddy and said we are a qb away from winning it all. Cousins was available so they overpaid for him to accomplish their goal. Unfortanately for them they neglected other areas and Cousins ins't good enough to overcome them. Cousins is about qb 15. Good qb but not great. The Vikings will grealty regret this. I wouldn't be surprised if they are an 8-10 win team again and look to draft someone after this season. Like you said we got lucky not signing him. Maybe we get to 6 wins last year and we'd have fools hope. Hopefully Gase and the new gm right the ship. I'm starving for the playoffs and to be real contenders.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

I agree with all of the above. I would add that the Vikings also grossly overestimated how good their OL would be and totally screwed up with the cap. They knew that Barr and Thielen along with 21 other players would be FAs this year, knew that in 2020 27 players were going to be FAs and they're already a little over $3 million over the cap for next season, and have zero cap space and 21 FAs in 2021 and that's with Cousins off the cap, as he will be one of the 21 FAs. They have really screwed themselves. I think that's probably the worst job of mishandling the salary cap, I've ever seen. They're going to lose a lot of players over the next couple of years, and will practically wind up gutting that team.

#36 NCJetsfan, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
  17. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I knew their situation was bad but not that bad. They'll be the 2017 Jets and 2019 Dolphins in two years.

18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Got to be something in it, the so called **** playing for what is a QB pittance but in all fairness, he has the rings and is still rich, whereas the other greedy cunts are rich but in the main ringless, so how rich do you need to be? At what point do you think well I have conceivably more money than I can ever spend but I am not going in the hall of fame due to the fact I am not a Multi superbowl winning QB.

Greed or achievements

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

When your biggest claim to fame is idiotically yelling "you like that!" to reporters after a comeback win over the tampa bay buccaneers then you know you suck (not exactly Frank Reich vs. Houston or Joe Montana vs. Buddy Ryan's Eagles material). .

Cousins real claim to fame was off the field: . having an agent use a since-fired GM to squeeze the just-as-dumb Vikings.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  20. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Kirk Cousins was Maccagnan's Plan A... *shudders*

That's grounds for dismissal by itself. Thank Christ this didn't happen.