Who Do You Want As GM?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, May 20, 2019.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I can think of a few.
    1. Chris Johnson didn't like what he saw from a GM whose body of work has yielded a 14-34 record after a near playoffs season in year 1.
    2. A good GM can do a rebuild in 3 years or less if they have a plan other than go BPA.
    3. It's Gettleman's 2nd full year as GM. Maybe his moves will look good this year and next. Just playing Devil's Advocate here, BTW.
    4. It has come to light that Macc didn't seek much if any input from coaches when selecting players. WTF, how can any team win this way.
    5. John Mara has been loyal to a fault since taking over for his late father.

#61 CotcheryFan, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

That's the coward's way out, FJ. You don't get to orchestrate the discussion and throw stones when others don't play your game. Deal with it.

If you disagree with what I wrote tell us where. I don't need to have an answer to believe that Gase is not the answer. If you have a problem with me admitting I don't know a good candidate, too bad. If you have a problem with my position that nobody here knows enough about who might be a good candidate, that's open to debate. But you'd rather be "that guy."

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

1) not really fair. had he had a chance to rebuild from the start things would be different. instead of relying on fitz and getting guys like marshall and decker and handing revis a big contract to sell tickets and win now. your rebuild timeline is awful as well. look at the rams who started with a better base when snead took over and they too 5 years to compete and 6 to make a SB. and snead is arguably the best GM in the NFL (if not top 5) and also made a coaching change. mac didn't get anywhere the opportunity of snead. imagine if the rams let snead go after 3 offseasons (2 actual seasons) of rebuilding

2) (no 2 for some reason?)

3) and he traded away a top 3 WR in the NFL, has like 50 mil in dead cap right now, let a top 3 safety walk to a division rival, traded away a top 3 NT for a 5t rounder to draft one 17th overall, overpaid a below average LT, passed on top QB prospect for a RB only to turn around next year and reach for a decent QB 6th overall i mean the laundry list of his bad moves are incredible. The panthers fired him after 2 seasons as well

4) based on what exactly? you think a GM personally scouts everyone? of course he had input from the scouting department. he's also found plenty of late round gems and hit on every 1st rounder

5) that I understand. i mean he's way too loyal to eli who should be gone. he fired a coach for benching eli and he could be mandating that eli still starts. we don't know for sure, but gettleman is sure making it easy to not move on from eli

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I think most here operate under the premise that we are not linked in to the inner workings of the league to really know enough about front office candidates and yet play the game anyway as it makes for decent enough discussion and usually gets posters to research and post what they find on possible candidates. I think it takes “that guy” to protest the whole thread rather than A. Not participate or B. Simply claim they don’t have enough info to even begin to have an opinion.
    We know where you landed in here.

5. Ralebird

That may be true but I don't work that way; I choose to know what I'm talking about. And it doesn't matter how many times you ask or stomp your little feet.

I also would note that your contribution to this thread has been zero, nada, nil, zilch! You didn't answer the question you believe I should have; you did not respond to the OP or any other poster here in a meaningful way. The only thing you've done here is weasel in with a snide comment with no value whatsoever except possibly to show that you're incapable of comprehending that which you read. Take it somewhere else, pal.

6. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Someone from the Eagles, or maybe even the Cowboys.

They draft well, and they respect and understand the value of an offensive line, and just offense in general.

7. FJF

I have no idea who would be a good candidate. But I have read what others have posted and found some of it interesting. Then I can across you protesting the premise of the question as if answering lawfully binds you to your candidate. From there I felt I had to issue a PSA for anyone else who thought going your route is a good idea.
    Chief.

8. FJF

Nania has been breaking it down analytically

Obviously Douglas doesn’t get full credit but it’s hard to know who does what in an organization from the outside looking in.

9. Ralebird

That, I guess, is where your reading comprehension failed you. Maybe if I wrote "Who knows? It's all guesswork" you might have understood. But don't stop those PSA's, I'm sure many here rely on you to keep them safe.

10. FJF

Calling the question “a fools errand” doesn’t qualify as a protest?
    Ok , call it what you want. You still played the “that guy “ roll, again.
    I’m out. Take the last word.

11. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

12. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I really like your #2 point

13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Yes on the surface firing Mac doesn’t warrant freaking out. If Johnson would’ve fired him with Bowles no one would’ve freaked out, he would’ve been praised.

However, firing him when he did and all the stories that have come out since as well as putting a guy in charge with a history of dysfunction is well deserving of freaking out. I mean it’s one of the most ridiculous situations I’ve ever seen in all my years watching football.

14. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Well, considering these articles I'm referring to are coming out today after Mac was fired after Gase was hired, again proves that a freak out is ridiculous.

15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

What exactly does an article prove? The guy said the timing of it was bizarre. It wasn’t only bizarre, it was freaking retarded.

16. Phins_4_Ever

Phins_4_Ever Member

Maybe the Jets should make a move and bring Tannenbaum back. Gase and Tannenbaum - reunited.
    ;)

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Naw he already fucked your team up enough

18. Ralebird

You were never in, except to harass.

The last word is "role."

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Communication ,Shared Vision, 3 Year Goals , Filling Immediate Needs for a Winning Season.

These are the qualities I want for our GM ...preferably Douglas since he is used to AG

The important difference from the previous regime is that this one will be 100 times more dynamic imo

Get ready guys:

Bowles/Mac >>>The Potted Plants

Gase and Company>>>The Burning Bush

Sounds good