Maccagnan is Fired!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by westiedog1, May 15, 2019.

1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Cval, I get it and I hope the guy wins, but I don't expect it to happen so maybe I will be pleasantly surprised as my expectations are pretty low. That said I hope Darnold does well but I am hoping the Gase does not HURT our potential franchise QB. Time will tell.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I get your point, but simply comparing Gase to Martin does not mean I EQUATE them. But more than their records, it's their egos and combativeness that I see as similar.

CBG likes this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Understandable, just didn't see MANY examples. If you have any others, lets discuss them.

4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

No need you won't like those either,,,happy to agree to disagree with you

5. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

So far all we know is our GM got canned, then interim GM is making quick moves, and the Jets may or may not suck a bucket of asses this year. Hard to say enjoy the ride. Maybe buckle up is more appropriate.

Acad23 and Ralebird like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

This article in the Forum sidebar really highlights similarities between how the Colts were two years ago, and how the Jets were up until Macc's firing. It also shows the glaring difference between a well run organization (Colts since then) and a poorly run one (Jets).

https://www.ganggreennation.com/201...jets-with-a-great-model-to-turn-things-around

A poorly run franchise. Disappointing seasons. A dysfunctional relationship between the head coach and general manager. An offensive line so poorly conceived that Jonotthan Harrison was thrust into a starting role. An erratic owner who didn’t seem capable of righting the ship. A franchise quarterback whose future was threatened by organizational instability.

As recently as two years ago, those descriptions fit the Indianapolis Colts. Now the Colts are widely praised as one of the best run franchises in the NFL and potentially building a championship window.

The turning point was the hiring of general manager Chris Ballard. The job wasn’t easy when Ballard took it over. The Colts had a roster too light in talent because of numerous failures by Ballard’s predecessor Ryan Grigson. On top of the roster problems, the Colts failed because Grigson and head coach Chuck Pagano had a relationship so toxic that it had to be put out of its own misery with the firing of the general manager. The job did have one major plus, the presence of franchise quarterback Andrew Luck. But Luck’s career had been put into jeopardy by organizational incompetence that went as high up as the owner.

No two situations are ever identical in the NFL, but there are a striking number of similarities between the Colts Ballard inherited and the Jets the next general manager will take over.

If the Jets are wise, they can take notes on the types of attributes they should seek in their next general manager and the power with which they should provide him.
    ****************************************************************************

He goes on to dissect the problems with Grigson's OL philosophy (sound familiar?), and his poor understanding/use of the value of draft rounds and FA. (sound familiar?). He also points out how Ballard was the polar opposite, and was able to successfully turn things around quickly. In the 2018 draft he used tow of the first 37 picks in the draft to grab two OL who became immediate starters - Quentin Nelson and Braden Smith - which allowed them to have the fewest sacks that season.

The similarities to the pre-Ballard Colts and current Jets is amazing, and should only underscore how badly we needed to get rid of Macc. Now, if we can only find a guy like Ballard to fill the job.

Jeti, NCJetsfan and Jets81 like this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The difference is the Colts fired Pagano and Grigson, then hired Ballard, and finally Ballard hired Reich. Which is how normal teams do it. Whereas we're going to stick our new GM with a coach the old GM hired a few months before he got fired.

CBG likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

When he gets fired we'll talk about it

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good stuff.

I also liked this:

Three of those extra 2nd round picks were courtesy of Mac. If Mac had only taken Mahomes in 2017, then the Jets could have been the benefactor of those 2nd round picks.

I also like the section on Free Agency. That's not the way Mac or Tanny used FA.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Mahomes/Derwin James vs Adams/Darnold

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Plus more 2nd round picks and another 1st

12. ColoradoContrails

Except it wasn't the old GM who hired Gase, it was the owner. There are stories coming out that Chris specifically hired Gase because he thought Macc was trying to hire guys he could control, and that's not what Chris wanted. Macc out on the "corporate face" but I don't think he wanted Gase here.

And yeah, I understand that the best way would've been to start with a clean slate, hire the GM a and then have him help find a HC he could work with, but I still prefer getting rid of a bad GM and hoping the HC is the right guy. If he isn't, then he can be fired and the "new" GM can get his man. But predicting that Gase is going to fail here when he hasn't even coached a P.S. game is getting a little ahead of yourself, no?

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

And yet, when we bring up the massive mistake that skipping over Mahomes was, not just because we didn't get a possible HOF QB, but because the price Macc HAD to pay the next year to even have a shot a decent QB, we're called "20-20 hindsighters", or whiners. It's exactly this type of failure that kept Macc from being able to get the talent that he needed. It's still disturbing to me that it wasn't that that prompted Chris to fire him, but Macc's interpersonal problems and indecisiveness finally brought to a head by Gase. Still, I'll take it, because the end result is he's gone.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'll buy that Chris hired Gase. The problem is that regardless of who hired Gase, the new GM is stuck with him. Given how bad Mac was, the new GM may still be better, but it's annoying that we're making things harder than they needed to be. As for whether Gase succeeds or fails here, I have no idea. Honestly, I think it's going to come down to Darnold more than anything else.

15. ColoradoContrails

Agreed, they're harder than they needed to be, but it's still a good move to get rid of an underperforming GM who has delayed the rebuilding of the team. I would've much preferred he was fired when Bowles was and said that many times leading up to that, and I wasn't a fan of Gase, but out of all the candidates, he wasn't the worst.

What's important now is that they get the right guy and that he and Gase be able to work closely together. I'm still holding to my time table of they need to be playoff contenders THIS year, meaning if they don't make them, they at least need to go down to the last weekend in contention, and play well in all games, including losses during the season. If they reprise a 4-12 or 5-11, or even 6-10, I'm done until they prove they can be winners, and that may not happen before I take the "long nap".

Acad23 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

If you believe that we have better talent than Miami did (we do) and that Sam Darnold is better than Ryan Tannehill (he is) then the wins will come.

Adam Gase, by not being passive (like Bowles), has put the target on his own head.

He's got to succeed straight out of the gate.

17. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

CJ reads TGG. It’s the only true explanation.

18. Yorkshire Jet

Yorkshire Jet Member

I know i am late to this but i have mixed feelings. Yes Mike has gone, but he should have gone with Bowles and we should have hired a GM to then hire the head coach. Now we have Gase who was an under whelming head coach hire leading our entire franchise. Good Mike has gone, bad that we now have a head coach having to be a head coach and GM, if you Bill Belichick then fine, But Gase???? He needs wins in September otherwise we might finally get a new GM and head coach next January. It's never simple with the Jets is it.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the Colts are NOT a well-run organization. Yeah, they got tanked to get Andrew Luck and Frank Reich is a good coach. But the Irsays are as dysfunctional as they come.

Its like people want to ignore 30 years of dysfunction and turmoil just because they made the playoffs in 2018

--

sorry I quoted the wrong person

20. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

CJ should give Ballard a stake in ownership of the team to lure him to the Jets. Not that the Colts would let him leave, but its worth a shot. I really like what Ballard has done with the Colts but they were very fortunate that McDaniels jilted them....Reich is a far better coach.

NCJetsfan likes this.