Maccagnan is Fired!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by westiedog1, May 15, 2019.

1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I hope for the best but I also go into this with my eyes wide open. Good coaches put their players in the best situations to succeed and hopefully win. Gase IMO is not one of these guys,,,,,I don't want to say I TOLD YOU SO , I would much prefer to eat crow and be wrong but some guys might be in for a real shock if and when this goes bad.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Sorry, but you didn't answer the question, what ON THE FIELD indication tells you that Gase didn't put his best players in a situation to succeed? I don't want to hear about previous Jet coaches

3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Biggs you can think he's a really good coach but I don't see what leads any of you guys to believe that. His record is what it is, sub 500 . If you think the roster was the problem then you must also consider that Gase helped shape that Miami roster ,so If you think he had a talent issue in Miami then you would have to admit that part of that falls on the guy you are defending. It also appears to me that his record in Miami was BETTER with other guys players in year #1 than his 3rd year. Time will tell we will see soon enough what type of coach he is for the Jets but and I hope I am wrong = I just can't see this ending well.

Ralebird likes this.
  4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I didn't realize I was being interrogated,,,,,,there are many examples none of which will probably satisfy some people but you can't please everyone = take a look at the RB position in Miami.Its been discussed before many times but if Foster had not gotten hurt or retired then Gase would have played him forever even though he was not the BEST RB on that team. Than he jettisons Ajay to the Eagles for whatever reason ,,,,,then he starts Frank Gore over Drake who IMO and many others is a better RB than Gore. Enjoy your Kool aide all, as IMO Gase is NOT what many of you guys are making him out to be , he does not have a good resume no matter how much some of you guys wish that it was.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Again, the "interference" theme. My understanding is that the owner wanted to talk to the coach following a bad loss to find out what happened. That's not interference (or even an attempt.) The coach refused. Maybe I missed part of the story - if so, please fill me in because I don't see that as even close to interference. Ross would be negligent to not discuss the game. Kind of like Elon Musk not asking the chief engineer what's happening when another Tesla on autopilot runs broadside into an eighteen wheeler.

6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I think what some people fail to grasp here when they compare Gase to other NFL coaches is that Gase has never won squat and has a sub 500 winning percentage and Billy Martin is another bad example as the guy won pennants and World Series as Yankee Manager.

7. 101GangGreen101

I wanted a logical answer. But is that really it?

1 - Ajayi is overrated; he's also still not signed, yes he was injured but still couldn't really get full control of that Eagles backfield.
    2 - Drake had ball security issues and IMO, he's not a back you want to give 300+ touches too, to me he's similar to Bilal Powell. Gore is a guy you can run between the tackles and get tough yards.

For those negatives, look at these positives.

1 - Actually got something out of Tannehill
    2 - Stills became a more complete receiver.
    3 - Found roles for lesser players like Albert Wilson

Is he a McVay? Absolutely not. Am I drinking the Kool-aid? Probably not.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Is McVay McVay?

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

All I'm saying is neither you, nor I, nor anyone that's come forward so far has explained what happened in Miami. But let me ask you this: If you were the coach and had just lost a bad game, would you really like to immediately, without any time to digest tape or reflect on things, to "explain" to your boss what went wrong? I doubt it. Maybe you or I would've been more diplomatic and not told the owner to go fuck himself, but I know I would've wanted to. The owner was out of line, even if it is his right as owner to do whatever he wants. That wasn't the time and place to get the answer, and really I doubt he was looking for any answers, he just wanted to confront Gase and assert his domination over him.

Beyond that, I doubt this was the very first time that Ross had pulled this, or inserted himself into matter that were well beyond his knowledge level. I admit that I don't know this for fact, but common sense based upon experience tells me this is likely.

Again, I admit that Gase is a prickly egomaniac, and I expressed my deep concerns about him before he was even hired. I sure don't know if he's going to succeed here, but as I noted in my Billy Martin analogy, these are traits that Martin had too, and he had a lot of success. I really don't want the craziness of the "Bronx Zoo" in a Jets version, but I'd take that any day over 50 years of no championships.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

But before he won pennants and WS's, he lost a lot too.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

Probably not without Goff.

12. 101GangGreen101

After this season, probably not. This might be the year Goff gets exposed and all that presnap jibber jabber goes to crap.

13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

They have a 1 year window to win before tough decisions will have to be made, namely how much to pay Goff.

14. 101GangGreen101

They might let him go.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You are correct about none of us having a lot of details. We both agree, I think, the confrontation between Ross and Gase happened at the stadium sometime after the game. We don't know if it was in the tunnel as the team left the field or in a private area. We don't know if it was three minutes after the game ended or three hours. These things would make a difference. I don't think a complete analysis or post mortem is needed to give some initial thoughts on what happened nor do I believe anyone would be looking for that until at least the next day.

The difference here is that I believe that Gase was unprofessional and out of line in telling off the owner and you believe Ross was in simply asking some questions. It's kind of like too many discussions here when there is a difference of opinion but personal barbs rise to taking precedence. It should not happen here and definitely should not happen in a professional setting. The latter part of your comment to include "confront" and "domination" appears to be nothing more than your imagination at work unless you've seen characterizations of the owner's demeanor at the time that I missed. I've seen nothing to indicate this is the modus operandi of Steven Ross.

I did not favor the hiring of Gase as head coach because his record in Miami is less than stellar but more so because I found nothing compelling in his resume that indicated favorable results, just his having been in many places and worn many hats. And maybe I get a little gun shy when I hear those "smartest offensive guy" sobriquets. I made my initial feelings known then settled back into the "wait and see" position I have too many times over the decades.

This thread though, is not about Gase as head coach but Gase as General Manager. The word "interim" is currently attached but that is an open ended designation. I believe the guy is in over his head as the coach and has no time to take away from that to dabble as GM. I don't see the urgency he exhibited in moving Lee, I find it detrimental and because of what you've written here and I've written here he is not of the temperament to be an effective manager. I'm not sure a reference to the Yankees is appropriate here but note that in your parallel above even you did not suggest Martin would have been a good candidate as General Manager in addition to being the on field skipper.

16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

The excuse of lack of talent in Miami just doesn’t fly for Gase since he was the one responsible for the lack of talent.

I think Gase can be a good HC if he just sticks to coaching and let’s the GM build the roster. You know, like he said he would do when he was hired.

17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Nobody is going to be in for a shock we are Jets fans. As others have pointed out Gase has done some good things as a coach struggled as a GM. If we start losing games because of bad coaching I will join the fire Gase brigand until then hoping he can turn Darnold into our FQB.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

101 I guess you skipped over this part of what I wrote = " there are many examples none of which will probably satisfy some people but you can't please everyone"

19. ColoradoContrails

I guess we can respectfully agree to disagree.

Ralebird likes this.
  20. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

CC, I really did not want to get into comparing Gase to Billy Martin but if we have to go there Billy Martin had 2 or 3 sub 500 seasons in 19 years on managing and he won a lot. If you want to compare Gase to a Yankee manager don't insult Billy Martin -----> Gase would be more like Stump Merrill lol