(5/20) Jordan Leggett waived

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by macbk, May 20, 2019.

1. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I'll give you that NCAA vs NFL tape are not comapreable. That said ..

Legget was never going to block like Wesco. Great blocking is as much mental makeup as physical attributes and Legget lacked both. He was not anywhere near Herndon as TE1 and lacked the skills to take the TE 2 role.

Wesco may not live up to his hype as 6th line man style blocking with some receiving skills, but I think he will. He was the type of pick we needed to make a lot more of the last 5 years. his upside is not huge, but he's a role player at the least at the NFL level. He's going to take Eric Tomlinson's blocking job easily, and most likely provide special teams play. He's a football players football player.

Leggit was always a shot in the dark type pick. Maybe he has it, maybe not. he for sure did not show enough last year to warrant any type of leeway in his roster spot. If your only good at one thing you better be damn good at it.

Robbie was only seen as a deep threat as a urfa. he was so good as a deep threat we kept him on the roster and he had a chance to grow. Now he is still best at running the 9 but has added some other things into his game. He is the perfect example of a player that has grown into a bigger role.

Legget was only good as a pass catching TE. He is not the best pass catching TE on the roster, so he's not going to get game reps and perhaps expand his role. that's how the league works for better or worse.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Gase is on a tear...the Jets have now gotten rid of the third-, fourth- and two fifth-round picks from the 2017 Draft.

3. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Leggett showcased the major flaw he had when coming out and that was motor and passion.

We need dogs in the locker room.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We often agree, but I just cannot understand your attitude about all of this. Did Gase do something to you personally? You're making statements that have no basis in fact and you're being extremely cynical.

5. kevda5n9ne

kevda5n9ne Well-Known Member

Was hoping that Tomlinson would be first to go... Hopefully he's next if Wesco produces

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He lost his roster spot for a backup punter. Ouch

Also, I do not remember him scoring a touchdown

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

There is an awful lot of speculation that Gase is releasing Mac draft choices out of spike. This conspiracy theory makes zero sense to me. What purpose would it serve? Ego or no ego. Why in Gods name would he cut his own throat by releasing any player that can improve his team. Mac is gone, so he won that battle, but he needs to win the real war now. Turn this team into a contender.
    My only concern is timing, why now, and not during training camp. May be the answer is that he sees no upside on Leggett and Lee or sees attitude issues detrimental to the team and is setting the bar for the rest of the players. Or at least I hope so. What we desperately need is a leader, not an egomaniac.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I dont see how you did not see this was reported. Before Gase was hired it was reported his ego was out of control at Miami, that he thinks he is the smartest man in the room and constantly needs to prove it. That gase was fired from Miami for a failed power play wanting total control of the roster along with an ego out if control and problems getting along with others

Everything he has done in NY so far was predicted and posted in our fears of this hire. The hope was Gase would learn from his firing instead he has doubled down on his insecurities and immediately caused drama and made the Jets a laughing stock.

Again it was reported he purged the roster in Miami because of ego and personality conflicts. Again, he appears to be doing the same thing in NY continuing to take shots at Mac by getting rid of his guys. The fear we should have is not a bad season but Gase dismantling the roster due to his own insecurities.

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Take a step back and look again. Is there anything that has been gained by the Jets in rushing the Lee and Legget moves? As the purported interim GM Gase would have nothing to lose by not making either of these two moves and allowing a real GM to make such a move when they have come on board. I have no confidence that a permanent General Manager will replace Gase any time soon.

10. NCJetsfan

I disagree that he is taking shots at Mac by getting rid of his guys. For starters, Mac was shopping Lee. Mac was just holding out for a 5th round pick. Leggett has done little in his two years with the Jets, and one of the knocks against him was his poor work ethic. Further, most likely, the Jets are only keeping 4 TEs and maybe only 3. Mac drafted Herndon. Mac drafted Wesco. Mac signed Brown as a FA this year. Mac signed Sterling as a FA. Mac signed Tomlinson as a FA. Mac drafted Leggett. The Jets aren't keeping 6 TEs, so no matter who Gase or the Jets' new GM cut, they're either going to be cutting a player that Mac drafted or Mac signed as a FA. Finally, with the exception of Quincy Enunwa, everyone that is on the team is as a result of Mac drafting them, trading for them, or signing them as a FA/UDFA. When the new GM is hired, are you going to make the claim that he's trying to make Mac look bad by cutting Mac's guys? One could make that claim about any player that was waived, released or claimed from this point forward until new players are added to the team. Thus, imo there is no basis in fact for your claim that he is taking shots at Mac by getting rid of his guys.

You're letting the click-inducing, sensationalizing media influence you too heavily imo, but that's your right. I'm just surprised. I certainly don't mean any offense. You normally have been more calm, more positive, and less reactionary. Carry on.

#30 NCJetsfan, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

This is 100% fact

12. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

for good or for bad i must say adam gase is ruthless

13. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

He broke our TD drought with a short catch when we were well behind vs the Jags.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  14. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

When I heard Leggit was cut yesterday I was surprised. Not that he did anything that said he would make the team this year but figured third year guy bring him to camp and see what happens. Wasn't sure he'd make the team but this early surprises me. Didn't realize there were work ethic questions. If so and Gase saw that he probably cut him to send a message. Still surprised. Not that upset it wasn't a Leonard Williams or someone else but I fear that big move that will upset us is coming. I fear we'll be the Dolphins in three years. Gase will turn Darnold into Tannehill and we'll be tanking again. It's not easy being a Jets fan.

15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

This thinking is flawed. He was not going to make the roster you cut him now and give him a chance to sign with another team. The longer you wait to cut a player you are actually f*** over said player.

16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Gase and his ego continue his revenge against Mac firing one of Macs scouts but again as Gase has said all along he is only interested in coaching. We need to hire a GM before Gase gets rid of Maye and L. Williams.

17. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with you but my thinking is I thought he could make the team. Maybe you're thinking like Gase. I see nothing here. I'll cut him so he can sign elsewhere. Good possibility. I thought Herndon Wesco would be one and two with Tomlinson, Leggit and Stirling battling for the third spot. To me Legitt with the best opportunity because Wesco and Tomlinson are blockers and Stirling because of the concussions. Obviously I'm wrong in that thinking.

18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I was probably drunk and not giving a shit at that point.... baking in the sun by the end of game

Dude's never going to be a star but cutting him at this stage seems stupid... especially with Tomlinson on the roster..... maybe Gase saw the name and thought he was related to LaDanian :confused:

FJF likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

It could very well be a hasty or stupid move. Time will tell. Obviously, Herndon and probably Wesco will be the #1-2 TEs. Even if the Jets keep 4 TEs Leggett may have had a very steep uphill climb to make the roster due to his lack of blocking and his not playing STs. I think 6 TEs would probably have been too many for OTAs and TC. Gase wants to get his offense installed and get the best execution he can in the limited time and number of practices he will have. With 6 TEs the reps would have been too spread out and few per player. Even with 5, limiting their number of reps can hurt the 3-4 who will stick with the team. Due to his good STs play, I think Brown has the inside track on a roster spot. If the Jets keep 4 TEs, then it will be between Sterling and Tomlinson, with hopefully Tomlinson being the odd man out. If so, and Sterling goes down with an injury again, the Jets can probably sign a camp cut that will give them what Leggett would have been able to give as a receiver, and that camp cut could be a better blocker than Leggett or play STs.

20. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

Probably because with 6 in camp, no one gets enough reps to be realistically evaluated. Coaches are paid for decisions, not indecision. You make your call and you make it work. That said, Leggett might still have an upside. No one in the Jets organization has shown any interest or ability to utilize the position for 30 years. That's why we haven't had even a serviceable TE since Mickey Shuler. So getting released by the Jets isn't necessarily a statement on his ability.