Game of Thrones HBO Weekly Discussion (Enter at your own risk of Spoilers.)

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by gustoonarmy, Apr 15, 2011.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

well now having seen the finale, i guess that statement was pretty wrong lol since the weakest person got it.

I do agree with you, which is why it made no sense to me for john to be taken prisoner. He was the rightful heir to the throne, he killed the queen, all history states he should have taken it over and not been arrested but w/e i'll rant on the ending in another post

2. GasedAndConfused

not the worst by any means, but it was just too rushed really. they really needed another episode to close all the gaps, but if u play it out it in your head, makes sense that in reality bran was manipulating everyone so he can have the throne. There really should have been more flushed out and jons ending was a bit bittersweet and arya's made 0 sense but outside of that, i think the rest of it was solid even if a bit under-explained

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

"It was the best series finale!" -The one Bran fan.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

he was arrested for treason and basically sentenced to die, but instead was spared by bran the broken (lol) to exile at the nights watch with all the bastards and whatnot which is where he started. then he chose to leave and go beyond the wall to live among the free folk away from all the drama and nonsense.

for the dragon, i agree it was dumb in context of the show since the show makes dragons to be dumb animals in a sense, but i guess form what i read, in the books is they are more intelligent then humans so the thought was that he wasn't mad at jon for killing dany, he understood what was going on and instead was mad at the throne because the greed and lust for it, is what ultimately did her in. the other way to look at it, is it was just a dumb angry animal shooting flames all over the place? it wasn't a well done scene at all

5. GasedAndConfused

it wasn't a pass so much as a punishment, at least the way bran tells it. bran didn't want to be king but accepted it, tyrion didn't want to be a hand but was punished to it to atone for his mistakes. but yeah it feels more like bran was playing everyone into his hands to be the king, and the tyrion was actually a puppet for bran in the end

the one useful part about that scene though was bronn being showed as we needed to know what happened with him and it appears tyrion made good on his deal with bronn. outside of that though, yeah not a lot except for sam writing the history so it can be kept

6. GasedAndConfused

agree with some but not all

Bran being the king was the "safe" play. it was also the unseen one. he's neutral enough that him wining isn't ruffling anyone's feathers. also if you look back and see it form that point, you'll notice bran knew it and was playing everyone into his hands. basically he pulled the same thing all the rulers did using his wit to get the throne

the jon/tyrion thing makes sense too. 1st tyrion has to say whatever he can to get jon to kill dany. besides that when tyrion speaks jon is no longer an option. he's a prisoner awaiting a sentence.

jon didn't become leader of the wildlings, he went back to the free folk beyond the wall. he's beloved with tormond and the wildlings he goes back to a regular life and that's also where he met his last non crazy GF. he gets to go back to being a normal person with a normal life. I think the idea of that being shown was that nobody was going to honor his punishment. he's too well liked in the north and among the nights watch and wildlings for anyone to hold him to his punishment.

the arya thing is really dumb, i agree with that. she was never a sailor or a warrior, she was an assassin who didn't even use her "trick" for like the past 3 seasons. only explanation i can think of there is to set up a spinoff but it doesn't fit her character, but outside of killing the NK nothing in season 8 really fit her character well

the dragon thing again, dumb, why not show where she was taken? again unless it's set up for a spin off or something but yeah pretty dumb to end it that way.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I should have known that the only person more likely to get the throne than a female in today's liberal era of hollywood was a disabled person. I should have seen that coming miles away.

Yeah, this season was basically 2 episodes. The night king battle should have been the finale. The last 3 episodes didn't even matter after that and we pretty much all knew what was coming. Very underwhelming season. If not for episode 3, it would have been one of the worst of the series.

Also I don't think Brann manipulated anybody to get the throne. He can't see the future, only the past.

#2347 Sam Hammer, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    FJF likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

eh not really in a sense. remember bran told someone (forgot who) i can't tell you whats going to happen or it won't happen. he's made several comments he can predict the future. even in the final episode when they said "bran would never except" he said "why do you think i came all this way" it was because he already knew he would be asked to be the king. if you go back and watch with the mindset that bran is manipulating stuff so that he becomes the king, it all lines up pretty well.

i do agree though hollywood is doing way too much pandering to the vocal minority. but i don't see this as one of those cases. or they would have picked sansa or dany. bran makes a lot of sense as to the change and beginning of a democracy of how the throne is handled

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They have epic battle after epic battle for years and years for the throne, but someone simply suggests the dude who was high under a tree for most his life should be made King and they are all good with it.

so so stupid

Falco21 likes this.
  10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Yup. Fuckin ridiculous.

Sansa's statement about her people not bending the knee to any one person after all they have lost, was perfectly said. And even more of a reason why no one should bend the knee to a disabled boy who did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to help save anyone. Hell, he could have easily prevented a lot of the death, but just sat there in his fuckin wheelchair while people died trying to save the world and innocent women and children burned. Yet now everyone is supposed to hail him as king? Get the fuck out of here.

If you don't want to continue with bloodline, that's fine, but elect someone worth a damn.

11. Falco21

He can see the future. They showed that numerous times throughout the show. He also knew he would be asked to be king, which he stated last night.

12. Falco21

1. I agree completely Bran was the safe play, which is why I think it's bullshit. That's an easy way out that this show has never taken. Why do it now?

2. It made no sense for them to banish Jon Snow. As I said earlier, what exactly was the point in Bran telling him he is heir to the throne and the rightful king? If everyone told him he belongs on the throne and he must do the right thing and kill Dany, why then when he did it, he was banished forever and is now irrelevant? What was the point of him being Targaryen if it got him absolutely nowhere? It was a good twist that went absolutely nowhere.

They had all the episodes showing his story and how he was born. They showed the record naming him heir to the throne. They made it all such a big deal, for what exactly? What was the point of that storyline?

Sam Hammer, NYJ79, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

i mean democracy has to be an acceptable method at some point. when your whole history is people fighting for a throne to be tyrants, it would make sense to stop the wars and have the house lords elect a leader that won't keep them constantly at odds with each other

14. GasedAndConfused

1) yeah it was an easy way to have less people bitching online but lets be real no matter the outcome people will always bitch on the interent even if it was perfect

2) bran again is playing everyone into his hands to be king. his point in telling him was to get him to kill dany. john didn't want the throne he told him to set in pace a series of events that led to jon killing dany so bran himself can be king. as far as banishment goes, it was more about democracy and compromise (which sucks that such a big character was used in that way) grey worm wanted him dead, others felt he should be free as he did a good thing, the compromise was to let him live but also banish him. the point of him being targaryen set everyhting in motion for him to kill her. it made him reject her as a mate, question her leadership and put the seed of doubt in his mind. not to mention by letting his family know, dany felt betrayed which allowed tyrion to play to his sense of survival and tell him now that everyone knows, she will kill you too eventually. it was to make him paranoid in a sense that he would be killed for being a targaryen. also allowed him to fly on a dragon which helped with the NK battle

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

They hooked you in with Jon S vs Danys clamoring for power over all...he is "rightful heir" but its a big secret..so they have you guessing who wins out

Then had 2 terrific battles and some down, boring moments and yes everything on the uptick and seemed like a hodgepodge put together story line

For someone who just tuned in for the last Season I give the Acting an A but Screenplay C-

The Dark Knight likes this.
  16. Falco21

I get all of that, but my problem is exactly with what you posted, which I understand and think it was a mistake. I get the mental aspect of him being Targaryen and it planting the seeds to where it got him, but it wasn't portrayed as just that and again, I think it was a cop out and a bullshit storyline. Why go through all the flashbacks showing Snow born as a Targaryen? Why have Samwell look into the records to show he was a Targaryen. Why have Bran tell him the truth? Why have Jon tell his sisters and then it spread throughout the city? Why have Varys burn alive because he felt Jon deserved to be on the throne? Why have all of that? Because it helped lead to him killing Dany and creating doubt about her? That's the reason? Forget that he is the rightful heir. Forget that his character has risen from the dead. Forget that he has united people together to save the world from the walkers. Forget that he again risked his life for Arya to kill the Night King. Forget that he saw the carnage Dany caused and watched women and children burned alive. Forget all of that. His purpose was to kill Dany and then go live in the snow beyond the wall? Really?

That's my problem. If that was always the plan, then get rid of all the detailed shit you went into years past, and just say he was Targaryen and move on.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Nah, the people of Westeros are too brain dead to have democracy or any other advanced form of government,. They have been there for 1000s of years and they are still riding around on horses.

Think about it. They're idiots.

18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Pretty ironic the "IronThrone" ends up a wheelchair

Falco21 likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

well there is a few ways to look at it (and honestly a lot is left to interpretation which is part of the issue with the ending. people want a finite ending and nowadays too many people in hollywood are too afraid to do that.

but you have to break each person down to their story. in the case of jon it's an interesting one. he's one of the few honorable people who will risk his life and do the right thing and take care of others. In the same sense he also doens't want or care about power or being a king. he's happy living a simple life as a nobody. and like most honorable people he was used as a tool by smarter and more bad people. in the end, he wound up exactly where he wanted be in the 1st place. he got to return to his home, without the throne or responsibility to go live a normal life. With that said the reality is (interpretation and all) there is no definitive proof he is a targaryn. even at the end of the episode you seen people rewriting history in a different light. he's been burned before by fire. being able to ride a dragon could have simply been because Dany allowed it. sam's research could have been planted by bran like dany said it happens to be your brother and best friend who knows this? he was a nobody bastard child in the nights watch so it made him a "people's king" but realistically there is no proof of who he really is regardless. all heresay and stories. and bran could easily lie since he would know and people would trust him. we don't have any definitive proof he is the heir. it's certainly possible he is simply a bastard child nobody who was used as a tool and an means to an end by smarter people planning like the way littlefinger manipulated people. but in this case, it was bran pulling the strings.

i was honestly more annoyed by the arya stuff. she went form assassin (which made sense due to her training of the many faced people) into a warrior (which doens't make sense and she didn't even use the many faced tricks anymore) into a scared little girl, into a pirate/explorer. all in the same like 4 episodes. It owuld have made more sense for her to go back to the many faced people or even bigger twist, have her be the leader of the many faced people and we find out arya has been dead and the leader was using her face or something. but like they just used her as a plot tool and in the end her character made no sense other then to be the person who killed the NK (which is fine) but after that she was pointless

20. GasedAndConfused

yeah but that could be due to the tyrant leaders. now those tyrant leaders are mostly gone and the new leaders (sans sansa) are willing to try it out.

just duct tape some swords to the back