Florio: Jets Pursuing Peyton Manning For GM Vacancy

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Snatch Catch, May 17, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Maybe so, but he screwed the pooch with his arrogance and asshole attitude. When you have the first pick, you don't have anything to lose by tipping your hand, particularly when your team needs a QB, and one of the best QB prospects to ever come out of college was sitting right there, and all Parcells had to do was say, "Yes, I'm gonna take him."

Personally, I don't think Parcells would have taken him. Parcells didn't think much of rookies. He liked veterans more. He knew he wasn't going to stay with the Jets long enough to develop a rookie QB. I think he wanted to fill as many holes as he could as quickly as he could and go all in to win.

Since1969 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Exactly. Hiring Manning would be a classic, Same-Old-Jets move. Spend the big money to bring in a marquee name who is past his prime while also hiring someone who isn't in any way qualified for the position for which he's being hired.

What they really need to do is just play this season out with Gase as the GM. If he comes out of the season deserving a second year, then let him help hire the next GM. But if he loses the locker room, which I would say that there's a decent chance he might given how poorly this has gone so far, then you fire him and start with a clean slate heading into 2020 with a new GM and coach.

3. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I dont like his ego....Especially for a guy that hasnt accomplished anything in the NFL

Ralebird and boozer32 like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First of all, most people weighing in here aren't calling for Manning as GM, but as Pres.of Football Ops where he could apply his deep knowledge - first hand knowledge - of the game to creating a blueprint for this team. If they haven't already hired a GM, then he wold presumably help with finding the right guy for that job. He's eminently qualified for that role.

Second, having Gase be the GM is bad on several levels. First, he wore both hats in Miami and even he admitted that he didn't do a good job. Second, almost no one can be both GM and HC, the jobs are way too demanding individually, let alone together. Third, it would just make all the talk about how he's a power-hungry control freak become hysterical.

No, the Jets need a qualified guy from a winning program who's had experience doing the kinds of things a GM does. Manning isn't that guy for that, but he IS the guy to devise a plan for the Jets to become winners.

5. jets_fan

This entire situation is already bad (almost comically so) on multiple levels. Despite what Johnson says, no top-level GM candidate is going to touch this job with a ten-foot pole. He'll be walking into a disaster of a situation, with a coach that he didn't hire, no control over that coach, and a power structure where he reports to a clueless owner. All of that on top of the fact that Woody may be returning at the beginning of the 2021 offseason and may decide that he doesn't like those that have been put in place by his brother and clean house yet again. This job is about as no-win as they come.

We're in basically a two-year limbo while we wait to see if Woody is returning to run the team. Might as well let the current staff sink or swim on their own merits. It's sad enough that we've probably already wasted Darnold's rookie contract years due to all of this dysfunction.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I respectfully, but totally disagree with your second paragraph. Gase needs to spend time working with Sam, coaching the offense and team, and developing game plans, not attending to GM duties. The whole point of firing your GM at this time of year is to hire another one so he has time to get settled, make whatever changes need to be made prior to the college and NFL seasons, evaluate the team, and plan for the following year's FA and draft period. Keeping Gase as GM for the rest of this year would just compound things and make them much worse. Gase may not even be qualified to be a HC, and I know he isn't to be a GM and a HC at the same time.

7. jets_fan

Believe me, Gase isn't my top choice for this. I don't even want him coaching the team, and I'd even support Johnson if he decided to can him right now, as bad as that would be for the franchise moving forward, because I think that little of him as a coach. That said, he's going to be the one essentially picking the GM anyway, so he's basically going to be the de-facto GM whether or not there's someone else sitting in that seat. I'd rather not give Gase the wiggle room to distance himself from the moves that his GM has made when the crap hits the fan this season. Let him completely own this season, but under the guise of it's a sink-or-swim proposition. When (not if) he loses the locker room, get rid of him and then begin the process of getting the right person in here to run the football operations and empower that person to hire a new GM and new HC after the season.

The most important point here is that there are no good options moving forward. The Jets have so unbelievably screwed up this past year or so that it's almost impressive.

CBG likes this.
  8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Maybe we can get Bowles back.

9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

He was safer than osweiler. He was not good let alone great, but he did lead that offense to a super bowl. At a time when he could not beat you with his arm, he beat you with his brain. It was all he had left. I don't think anyone would argue he was vintage amzing Peyton at that point.... but he still won.

10. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

What did the media call the Jets trade for Brett Favre a 100% football move?

Oh yeah a publicity stunt.

That's what this would be.

Worked wonders for Curtis Painter.

westiedog1 likes this.
  11. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Hey they've already given a HC that got fired by Miami earlier this offseason and hasn't won jack as a HC total control so why not now give a ex-player that hasn't done jack as a GM the GM job?

It all makes sense.

Ralebird likes this.
  12. zace

zace Well-Known Member

He was the only reason Miami was even competent. That place is a mess. It's far worse than the Jets are. Yet it's not popular to say "Miami lol".

People are mindless and jets bashing is popular, doesn't make it true. I just find it interesting that plenty of teams have fired GMs after the draft and never have any gotten this reaction. The league year starts now essentially, why waste a that info and scouting to fire a guy at "the appropriate time"? Who decided it was the appropriate time? Fire him then you have to figure out FA and draft in a couple of month? It's not easy

Please spare me the they are competent teams bull. What's has KC accomplished? Any super bowls? I actually think he's a pretty good coach and I watched him come to jersey last season and beat a jets team that his team had no business beating. Then beat them again at home. That team was worse than us by a large margin.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

13. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

It makes more sense than 99% of the miserable, whiny, bullshit you post on here.

Jets69 likes this.
  14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Don't try to talk sense to people around here. The sky has been falling for 50 years according to most of them.

NYJetsO12, KurtTheJetsFan and zace like this.
  15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Because Curtis Painter and Darnold are remotely on the same talent level? GTFO with this shit.

16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Curtis fucking Painter...... SERIOUSLY?!?!

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Masterful comparison. Sam Darnold and Curtis Painter. I cant fathom why everyone thinks our fanbase is full of idiots.

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I can’t believe any Jets fan would be against this. It’s not gonna happen but would be a no brainer if it could. Any team in the NFL would be lucky to have Peyton Manning leading it.

If Chris Johnson really wanted to turn this around he would offer Manning a blank check and and anything else it would take to get his name dotted on a contract.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Exactly! How in any way could it be bad to have someone with the football knowledge ad experience of Peyton Manning here in some capacity? I don't think as GM< but if he insisted I would let him, but I bet he wouldn't want it. But Pres. of Football Ops or something similar? You bet! Assuming that Chris hired him, it would be a safe assumption that he would lean on Peyton to guide the building of the team, and how is that a bad thing?

NYJetsO12 and Attackett like this.