Florio: Jets Pursuing Peyton Manning For GM Vacancy

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Snatch Catch, May 17, 2019.

1. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

He pretty much already got GM power this offseason hiring the coach.

2. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

In the very next breath, and many including myself have done this = its more likely that we gave Woody and Chris TOO MUCH CREDIT for having what we would call common sense. Woody went outside his box , he got outside help with the hire and he thought he had the guy in Mac when many of us said who ? I agree that the brothers need some serious help as neither of them has a clue but to think that any of the decisions these guys make from here out will make sense ----> most of my benefit of the doubt went out the window a while ago. As my signature says = these guys could take an open book test and fail, they hired Adam Gase when no one ( other teams ) wanted him, including me.

3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

No doubt Peyton has forgotten more about the game than any of us will ever know. But, is he ready to be a GM without being a scout and working his way up? I'm not sure. John Lynch has done it, so there is some precedent.

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

You hire Peyton Manning in any capacity he would say yes to. There is no guarantee with any GM hired, you take the chance with someone who is a football savant.

Mr mittens likes this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

So far, the bevy of names out there to run this Organization is an impressive list with plenty of well qualified guys...assemble a brain trust so the trust fund brothers can listen!

OTOH while I love the idea of Douglas>>GM and Peyton >>>Dir of Football Operations these are new positions for each of these guys

Douglas has at least some FO experience but Peyton has just been a superstar player who lately makes some funny commercials on TV

That said , lets get Nationwide on our side! why not?? Change is good guys.

Mr mittens and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  6. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Can't possibly imagine Peyton Manning putting himself in a position where he'd be getting fired by a Johnson. It'd be the sole black mark of his entire career. Ain't happening.

7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Payton would be a good insurance policy.

NYJetsO12, Mr mittens, Harpua and 2 others like this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I have absolutely no issue with this and it’s something I would encourage. The more great football minds you have in the front office to help form a decision is more important than the person making the decision to be. I also doubt he would be brought on as the full-time decision maker. If you can get him, Jeremiah and whoever else they would bring with them with Douglas as “the guy” then you do it without looking back.

Also there are very few people I would rather have around Sam on a consistent basis then Peyton Manning.

9. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Is he healthy enough to play center?

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Stupid.

Another example of the Johnsons being star struck losers

abyzmul likes this.
  11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

That could be part of the issue. The Johnsons would never fire him, even if he sucked.

12. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I'd like to say that this news surprises me... but it doesn't.

I do wonder just how much effort it takes to be as incompetent as the Johnsons. It really must take some effort to be this bad at what you do.

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

What do we have to lose? Not a damn thing! Its not like this team is a model of synchronicity anyway. When you're almost at the bottom, you can only fall so far. Fuck it, swing for the fences!!

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

and Elway in Denver.

15. dman928

dman928 Well-Known Member

Nationwide is on our side....

NYJetsO12 and Biggs like this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Lynch is doing a pretty damn good job in SF (on paper at least) and Elway won a ring in Denver (albeit because of Manning). Again I don’t think anyone here is advocating for the guy to take over as the sole decision-maker. I don’t think that’s what the team is after either.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Personally, I feel the thing we need first and foremost is a no kidding, nuts and bolts GM that is savvy in the draft/free agency process and possesses a long term management view of the team objectives including contract and cap management implications.
    He needs to be well respected and able to work with the HC, but remain strong and independent. The one comment (true or not) that irritated the hell out of me was that Gase didn't like the size of Bell's contract. Well that is none of his business, he might behind the scenes challenge the player selection, the need for such a player, or he might challenge the priorities for the selection, focusing on a more critical position if there are money constraints, but intrinsic value is not in his purview. Most decisions regarding personnel are a delicate balance between need and expectations from the coach and establishing overall player acquisition value from the GM.
    Payton, while not in my opinion suited for the down and in GM position, can bring a totally different and much need set of qualifications to the Jets. Specifically as a VP of Operations , he would bring INSTANT FOOTBALL CREDIBILITY AND INSURMOUNTABLE RESPECT TO THE JETS ORGANIZATION. He knows what it takes to win, and he knows what kind of players you need to win. Couple him with a good nuts and bolt GM, and let Payton become the face of the Franchise while the ownership sits back and enjoy the fruits of a well run organization. Winning will change everything.

18. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

My next piss is incredibly important for this franchise

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Nice.

20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Everyone around here kept saying "we need a VP of football operations" … which is really what the job of GM should entail. Manning is not a scout, he's also not a finance guy, but he is one hell of a well connected football guy with great knowledge of the over all game. This would be exactly the type of hire many have been clamoring for. Manning would run the overall show and delegate the bean counting and tape watching to the pro we would pay to do it. I'm completely on board with this type of hire.