Florio: Jets Pursuing Peyton Manning For GM Vacancy

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Snatch Catch, May 17, 2019.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Douglas, Manning, Daniel ,Jeremiah ?? I am hearing good things ..finally :)

On NFL radio this PM Phil Simms name was also floated out there to be part of NYJ management

2. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Fuck it why not? Jets have been throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks for decades...Peyton would be another roll of the dice that I’m all for

Cman68 and Mr mittens like this.
  3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Why would Peyton Manning accept that job? He rightfully has wanted nothing to do with the Jets since 1997. Are he and Adam Gase really that great of friends? I love Peyton, so I would be happy with it, but I doubt he wants the job. I like the structure some of you have posted about too with hiring other people with more experience.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

As long as they hire Joe Douglas, I don't really care what other hire they make. Hiring Peyton as Team President or VP of Football Operations would be awesome. Peyton could help formulate the vision for the type of players they want, the timetable, the plan, and be the face of the Jets. Chris Johnson might actually step back and let Peyton run things as long as Peyton communicated with him and others and let him know what was going on. I would hope that they don't hire Peyton as GM, however, as he has zero experience with scouting, personnel, and the cap.

Sign me up Peyton as VP of Football Ops, Joe Douglas or Elliot Wolf as GM, Daniel Jeremiah as Director of Pro Personnel. I think that Peyton and Douglas could keep Gase in check and not let his ego run amok.

The Darksider in me thinks that in typical fashion Chris Johnson or fate would find some way to screw it up. He'd hire Douglas first, and then Peyton wouldn't want the job because he disagreed with Douglas as GM, or he'd hire Peyton first, and then Peyton would pick Charley Casserly as GM. It would just be too awesome for the Jets to get Douglas as GM and have Chris Johnson realize he needed someone experienced running the team and hire Peyton, but the Jets can't have nice things, so I'd be shocked if it happened.

LAJet, NYJetsO12 and azhar80 like this.
  5. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Jesus, I don't know if I'm suffering from some brain injury, or what, but after everything that just went down, I said to myself...

"Well, shit, this sucks, suredly it can't get worse."

Then, bam, I feel as though It could.

Why would Peyton Manning be a good idea for this team, at this juncture, at this point? I don't understand?

He was an amazing QB. I get it. He would obviously be great around, Darnold. Great, I get it.

Make him the QB coach. Sounds wonderful, I'm down for that.

....but

Handling day to day tasks, prominent tasks, for the future of this team though? You guys are okay with that?

Why???? I truly don't understand.

I feel like I'm extremely out of touch at this point.

6. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

I say let Gase pick gm and anybody else he wants let him run the show. If he fails in 2 years in we can fire every one and start over and let first person sign be the gm.and do it the right way. BUT if he turns this franchise around he’s a genius.
    He already has a franchise qb when the last time we had that. Been awhile. I’m all in with what they do it’s there jobs online not mine.

NYJetsO12 and azhar80 like this.
  7. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I don’t know why anyone would be against this move. He is the definition of a football guy. He is exactly what the Johnsons are not. The most athletic thing Mac had ever done in his life was go bowling with the bumpers on. Peyton is a football guy. That’s what we need.

NYJetsO12, themorey and Mr mittens like this.
  8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

You guys do understand that we are not talking about Manning coming here to play QB 20 years ago or coming now to coach Darnold ? You are talking about handing over the GM position to a guy who has NEVER done it before. The same guy who pitched hard for Gase to be hired as coach, so if the only thing on his GM resume that I have to go by is Gase ,I pass in a BIG WAY. Why would the Johnson's hire Manning as Director of Football Operations and then also hire Daniel or Douglas as GM ? That is not the Johnsons MO and they do not do things this way, remember these imbeciles have a plan and a structure " trust the process " ugh

FJF, azhar80, Ralebird and 1 other person like this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  10. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

There is a HUGE difference between "football guy" and "GM".

Being a football guy doesn't automatically make you good at knowing what's best overall for a football TEAM.

Outside of QB, what makes anyone think he is someone that knows anything outside of that in regards to an actual 53 man roster.

We need a guy that knows how to build a team, a winning team at that.

Peyton knows the QB position.

That doesnt make him a good fit right out the gate for a prominent role towards building a team.

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

A competent administrator with football knowledge is what's required. We know he has the latter but there is no indication he has any prowess with the former. Pass.

CBG likes this.
  12. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

This would be such a loud and bold move... IDK if NY is the right market for Peyton.

Technically Peyton got Mac fired by recommending Gase to him lol. Gase gets Mac fired, Gase then hires Manning to take over Macs job? What a soap opera! Made for HBO...

Are we shooting and recording all this for HBOs Hard Knocks?

We have all the ingredients for a super blockbuster show, idk know if we have all the ingredients for a SuperBowl though...

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I started the Peyton for POFO movement 3 years ago and still think it will be a great move. I still highly doubt he’d be interested but I think the Jets are more likely now than they were 3 years ago with Gase as HC and Darnold at QB.

Back up the brinks truck and get a key to the franchise made!

Peyton Manning- President of Football Operations
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...nt-of-Football-Operations.87644/&share_type=t

14. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

He'll probably go back to Tennessee as A.D. instead...

Ralebird likes this.
  15. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

This would be fuckin awesome.

I would LOVE to have Manning in the building every day!

16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Surely it just isn't about hiring a good GM but actually finding some folk that are more than above competent at scouting the talent in college football, obviously we have lacked in this department for a long while or the GM ignored the scouts possibly, who can say for sure.

17. NCJetsfan

As I stated above, I wouldn't want Manning as GM. I don't think he's qualified to be a GM. I do think it's possible that he could be qualified to be a VP of Football Operations and oversee a team's decision making and hiring processes.

You're right that the Johnsons like to meddle and run things, or at least have in the past. They've never hired a VP of Football Operations before. My thinking in this situation is as follows. If Chris has any level of humility, self-awareness, understanding of all that he doesn't know about running a football team, and/or awareness of how awful the Jets have been, he has to be at least starting to think,

"Maybe I better get someone in here that knows what they're doing to advise me and help me run the team or even someone I can trust and let them run the show. I'm taking a LOT of heat over not firing Mac along with Bowles, for allowing him to run FA and the draft, and for taking so long to realize that Mac needed to go. Heck, if Adam Gase hadn't pointed out to me how indecisive Mac is and how that has hurt the team, the bad moves that Mac has made, how Mac hasn't supported/helped our HCs, and how he really hasn't had a vision or cohesive plan for building a winner, I wouldn't have realized it even now. Adam has helped me see how little I know about football. Peyton Manning knows football and the NFL. He knows what it takes to win. He would give us some street credibility with the media and NFL circles. Maybe I'll look smarter and like a better owner, if I hire someone who knows what they're doing and let him make the team a winner. I can learn from him, and maybe in time I can run the show again. After all whomever I hired, would still have to report to me and get my approval on major decisions."

I think Manning would have at least some ability to be able to determine who would be a good GM and a good HC. I think that Chris Johnson would trust Peyton Manning. While I don't think it very likely that Chris Johnson would have the thought process above and actually hire Manning or someone to run the team, it's at least possible, and in order to have any hope in the future of this team, I have to hope that Chris is smarter than Woody, that he will wake up and realize that he needs to hire someone that knows what they're doing to run the team, and he needs to hire better scouting and personnel people.

#37 NCJetsfan, May 18, 2019
    Last edited: May 18, 2019
    ColoradoContrails, NYJetsO12 and CBG like this.
  18. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

So, in a high position in the front office? Absolutely! As GM? No.

I want someone with scouting and working with the cap experience. I am also afraid that Gase would want someone who has no experience, so that he could essentially get them to do whatever he wants. We need someone who will say no to Gase from time to time.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

I hear what you're saying and agree. Peyton may not be the right man to run a football team, but I think he's smart, and between his father, himself and his brother Eli, they have a lot of experience in the NFL. They understand what it takes to win. They know the game inside and out., and I think that would quite possibly give him insights into what was most important in terms of building a football team and helping a QB develop and thrive.

20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Don’t see this happening. I mean on one hand it’d be an opportunity for Manning to show he can turn a dumpster fire into gold. On the other hand he’d have to work for the Jets.

Acad23 and abyzmul like this.