Potential new FO staff

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Faux machine, May 15, 2019.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I'm OK with Gase taking over the GM job too (buying the groceries) as long as him and Jamal Adams spend every Saturday at the track betting the ponies.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Anyone ripping the idea of Jeremiah as a member of our front office is just lazy. He's had so much success as a scout and has been so highly-regarded as a talent analyst since then that there's no way you can take someone seriously who rags on the idea. Especially if they compare it to the Raiders hiring Mayock.

3. He’d be a voice in building the draft board,fine tuning evaluations & perhaps overseeing the scouting staff.One thing he’d definitely bring is alot of great resources & contacts from doing the TV gig that can be an immense help during the draft process.

Dont want him as GM. But some sort of personnel exec role would be amazing paired w Douglas

4. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Funny thing is yesterday I was in my car when this all went down. I was listening to the FAN to see what I can hear. Had to switch to ESPN during a commericial and Stephen A. Smith is ripping the idea of the Jets hiring Jeremiah for the front office and how Jeremiah is a TV guy and it's like the Knicks hiring him since he was an NBA insider. I quickly switched to the other station but couldn't believe what I was hearing. A simple search and you see he worked for the Ravens and if you listen to his podcast he does a nice job breaking down draft prospects and even talks about what it is like in the war room with Bucky Brooks.

Going off on a tangent. I can't believe he has a radio show to talk all sports. Stick to the NBA. He knows his stuff there but football. Come on now. After the George Kittle debacle and Derrick Johnson situation move on. Add in Michael Kay. ESPN Radio NY is hard to listen to. Same with the unretired Francessa. Ok sorry had to be said.

5. Ohnoit'sGeno

Ohnoit'sGeno Active Member

Did you see the scouting department Mike Mayock is building. They added some top notch guys there. The bloodline in any organization is the draft.
    Hopefully the Jets can build a top notch scouting department.

6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Was Parcells a legend when he did that shit?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

I looked this up last night when he was mentioned. Not exactly "much success as a scout". Ultimately he didn't make these selections. But, if we're throwing him a parade for his scouting, here is what his work resulted in.

2003-2004 - Personnel assistant for the Ravens. This is where he learned how Ozzie Newsome takes his coffee and spliced practice tape together. No doubt he did his grunt work to make it to the scouting department.
    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rav/2005_draft.htm - West Coast scout - By Raven's standards, this is a garbage draft. Derek Anderson is the only west coast selection worth mentioning.
    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rav/2006_draft.htm - West Coast scout - Best pick - Haloti Ngata at 12. Ngata was a west coast pick, as was Sam Koch. Other 2 west coast picks were garbage.
    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/2007_draft.htm - National scout - Joe Thomas, albeit he was consensus best player in the draft. From there on out, garbage.
    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/2008_draft.htm - National scout - Draft was pretty much hot garbage. 5 picks, 1 decent pick in Ahtyba Rubin.
    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/phi/2010_draft.htm - West Coast scout - Meh draft. No notable west coast players.
    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/phi/2011_draft.htm - West Coast scout - Best pick - Jason Kelce, but he went to Cinncinati. All three west coast picks were JAGs.
    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/phi/2012_draft.htm - West Coast scout - Best pick - Fletcher Cox, but he went to Miss St. 2 decent west coast picks - Mychal Kendricks and Nick Foles.

From that point on, he's been with NFL network as an analyst.

[​IMG]

BrowningNagle likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

hold on- so he was only a national scout for 2 years? and it was over 10 years ago? He's way less qualified than Maccagnan was.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

I don't think scouting success is measured solely on which players are drafted and you even mentioned that. You can do what you just did for almost any highly-regarded scout. I'm just saying there's a reason he went from an assistant to a scout with the Ravens and worked in their scouting department for three years under Ozzie Newsome.

10. BroadwayAaron

I'm alarmed at how long you're going without realizing Jeremiah wasn't linked to the GM job.

11. rockyusmc2003

He was Mayock's backup for the last 7 years. That has to count for something?

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Good point, the NFL Network had some great draft selections in that time haha

13. BroadwayAaron

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ious-consideration-for-jets-front-office-job/

LOL Jets though right?

14. rockyusmc2003

It's the only way for someone not in those front offices to research his history. Like it or not, that's attributed to his name. The same was done when Mac was hired, and his scouting history was shredded. It is what it is.

15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

They went over it again on the "Play like a Jet" podcast. They bash Gase about lying about wanting controll and say that he was really into getting Paradis and very unhappy about it.

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The new GM cannot be a guy with strong ties to Gase but someone who can challenge Gase and be challenged by him. If Gase's constitution is such that he loses his mind by not having everyone agree with every one of his ideas he is the wrong man to be head coach. To date, he has proven nothing; his description as a "great offensive mind" is nonsense we've heard here before; he is the one who needs to prove he belongs.

BacktoQueens, Since1969 and stinkyB like this.
  17. All national scout means is that you represent your club at the BLESTO meetings which is basically a collective group of teams that fund & contribute to the super primal very early stages of the wide net scouting process.

They have a set territory & any players deemed draft worthy They evaluate but not only for the team but also for the service.

While its considered a promotion from a regional scout its really not a position of power or influence.Its basically the last stop before executive level.

#57 KurtTheJetsFan, May 16, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2019
    NCJetsfan and Red Menace like this.
  18. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

You're going to be disappointed I think.

19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Hopefully the new FO fires Gase.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  20. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Oh cut it out. What is this to set up a whining session when the Eagle guy is hired? Everyone knows the new GM is going to be a Gase Guy.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.