Maccagnan is Fired!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by westiedog1, May 15, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He is credited by both the Eagles and sportswriters as playing an integral part of building that roster.

2. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

As quickly as they moved, it makes me wonder if they knew who was taking Macs place from the moment they fired him....

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

3. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

would like to drive home a point about Macc's lack of vision or team philosophy (CJ's reference to strategic thinker)

In one season he passed on both Mahomes and Watson. Rightly or wrongly, KC had a vision of what they sought in a QB, identified that in Mahomes and moved for him. Opinions may differ on the wisdom of the move but it at least demonstrates KC had an idea of what they wanted -- and anecdotally perhaps they are a successful franchise

Macc in another year moved from #6 to #3 spot and had absolutely no idea which QBs will be left for the choosing at that point. (he did not move to 3 on draft day with Indy on the clock). You're talking about QBs w very different profiles: Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen, Allen. He didn't care. He would invest 3 second round picks to take whatever was leftover, regardless of the QB's profile. Either clueless about what he truly wanted or completely desperate to save his job

People should be rejoicing in the streets for gods sake

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Excellent points!

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The fun year was because of Fitz not in spite of him. I get your contention. I think it fits a narrative that I'm on the other side of.

#665 Biggs, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
  6. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I don't disagree. I am actually ok with what happened. Manish and the rest of the beat are for the most part pissed because whoever their source was (Heimerdinger was Manish' source per Boomer) got canned.

Let's call a spade a spade, Macc was not a great GM and I would argue that most of the success he did have was either via free agency when he had a boat load of cash to spend on players, or when players fell to his lap. The one good move he pulled off and he should be noted for is the trade up for Sam. He was aggressive in that instance, beat the crowd and guaranteed the jets a spot to land one of the QB's. Aside from that all you have to do is look at Macc's draft record, and all the missed trade opportunities to realize that Macc wasn't great.

If someone told me we could let go of Macc and get Joe Douglas to be GM and Daniel Jermiah be the head of player personnel, I would have signed up for it no questions asked.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Everything you said was true January 2,2019

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

meh i don't aree with that POV (not saying it's wrong, i just see it different) it's possible mac didn't like any of the QBs or got scouting info that this class was weak and that the 2018 class would be better to go for a QB so he stood pat and took BPA. he also scouted out darnold for a long time and loved him. i think trying to land darnold was the plan all along. everyone knew that the 2018 QB class was going to be really good. so he waited out a year for a better prospect and landed an all pro top safety in the NFL instead. then for the 2018 draft he traded up in the top 3 when he know there was 4 very highly rated QBs in that class so guaranteed at worse case one of the 3 best QBs in the best QB class since the 2004 with ben, eli, and rivers.

9. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

What a complete Joke.

I'm not a big Mac fan, and I'm glad he wont continue as GM of this team... but it just underscores how horrible this franchise is being run top down. You dont let the GM sign free agents, and make your draft picks, and then fire him. not when you missed the playoffs and had like 5 months to find a new GM and have him make the moves he sees fit.

Mac needed to go. His draft picks rounds 2-7 have not be able to stay in the league/on the roster and his first round picks have been between bust and avg. starter. his top 10 picks have not become all-pro types (still time for darnold obviously).

But for a guy who had enormous cap space (twice) and 3 or 4 picks in the top 10. he did very little with it other then draft Darnold who may or may not become a franchise QB.

what a dumpster fire

10. chandler

Yes he was guaranteed a QB at 3. But he obviously didn't have a philosophy saying he must have one because his style is thr type to build a team around. No vision

BPA is meaningless unless you have some objective criteria to judge it by. (By some criteria i was the BPA of 2019 draft if you're looking for short bald guys, with no arm) He was willing to take who fell to 3, and by his own words was surprised it was Darnold. Guy had no plan or no vision. Let's not pretend he agressively moved up to 3 when Darnold fell because he knew Darnold was the kind of QB he wanted.

The reality was he was going to take who was left
    1) perhaps a bit of a cocky loose cannon cowboy in Baker who's short and runs a lot
    2) Allen who throws 100mph and occassionally is on target
    3) Rosen who might be a whiny sulker
    4) Darnold who looks a bit like a skinny Chris Farley god rest his soul

And to the prior post I agree this was all true on 1/2 and i think they should have fired him midseason or earlier. I think what caused the firing may have been a couple of things. Someone was a rat leaking things to the news and i think Macc or one of his minions got tagged with that. IN addition, i think the Leveon Bell thing didn't help. I think they found they were bidding against themselves and after paying him bank he returned the favor with a disrespectful no show.

The straw that breaks the camel's back is just a straw. Might seem inconsequential but sooner or later with enough of them...

#670 chandler, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
  11. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

I’m curious - does anyone know if any other nfl team has ever fired the GM two weeks after draft day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. chandler

not a direct answer but the clevland browns fired a coach and OC when they got in a snit, and the team turned it around

So while continuity and stability is a nice looking, romantic vision you should only do it if the person is any good. the guy came here to build through the draft and at least twice in four years we instead had to resort to overpaying FAs. I hope (and believe) that Bell and Moseley won't be newer versions of Revis, Wilkerson, Trumaine

13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I believe the Bills did it in 2016 or 2017

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The Chiefs did it to Dorsey in 2017, its not out of the ordinary for this to happen.

15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we don't know his criterea so we can't pretend he didn't have one. he could have looked at the 2017 draft and felt ok we'll take trubisky if he's there at 6 and if not i like the top 3-4 guys from next year better then watson or mahomes so i'll secure one of those. We don't know the whole process but i'm poretty sure 99% of people here are happy with sam as our QB and that's rare for jet fans to like anyone on the team that much.

BPA is tough but there is a criteria and more then enough "experts" ranking them out there to kind of average out and get a good idea of the consensus BPA. mac trading before the draft was genius. if he had waited until darnold fell to 3, we would have been in a bidding war. he put the team in a great position and got a little luck his way that Cle took mayfield and the giants passed on a QB.

16. chandler

if we don't know his criteria after 4 years I respectfully submit there is no criteria. And of all positions to take what falls to you at QB is crazy. I'm glad we have Sam but it just as easily could have been Rosen or Allen

Most teams have a non-cryptic criteria. They want speed, they want smarts, they want tall QBs w big hands and rocket arms, they want huge CBs or huger LBs. What was Macc's?

One year he chases Donta Hightower the next year he drafts Lee for MLB. One year he is about the draft; the next it's about high priced FAs. He might be a swell guy to have a beer with but he proved he was in over his head

17. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Well it’s about time.., if Mac had a plan I sure as shit never got it?

The next thing C.J. should do is hire a Exec to run the operations. Then a GM and coach report to the exec.

That is my wish... will it happen probably not. Whomever they hire better have a Strategic plan for building this fking dysfunction we call a team. And he better not be the HC flunky!

18. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Chiefs canned Dorsey about 8 weeks after

19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Now that I've had 24 hours to think about the firing of Mac it still comes up addition by subtraction. When Thurston Howell the Third actually names a new GM I suspect the scales will be rebalanced.

20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

It’s funny reading all these posts calling out Mac as a shitty GM then losing their minds because he was fired. Only on TGG.