Potential new FO staff

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Faux machine, May 15, 2019.

1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

027 only thing is that Parcells actually had a winning resume ,Gase is just as advertised an abrupt loser

#21 CBG, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Jets69 likes this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Manish reported yesterday that Gase didn’t want to spend big money on a center. It’s Manish so who knows, but in re-reading the Gase story from when he got fired in Miami it kinda makes sense. He didn’t want to spend money on any OL and wanted to sign a TE and build the defense instead.

Yankjetfan likes this.
  3. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Which is why this is a bad fit.

We need a GM that will challenge Gase, not a room full of yes-men.

Louis Riddick would be my choice. Strong personality that would challenge Gase and also comes from that recent Eagles tree of higher learning.

blackssmagic and Since1969 like this.
  4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Bolded the part that makes me not trust it waht so ever.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

I'd tend to agree, but this is damning:

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article223850050.html

"After the 2016 season when the Dolphins needed a serious upgrade to their defense, Gase decided he could make the offense operate on the cheap while the defense added players. So the coach practically ignored the need for guards.

And Ross challenged him about that.

And Gase yelled at the owner about knowing more about football than he did. Multiple sources say a high-ranking club official had to intervene and tell Gase he could not speak to the owner — his boss — that way."

boozer32, jilozzo and Harpua like this.
  6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

It sure is, but That situation was unlike ours where we spent a ton and had the money to do it. Gase is a super type A guy and that does not bother me if he gets results. If this all blows up at least it will be more enjoyable to watch than Bowles and Mac. Hell I'd except a Gase Williams slug fest on the sidelines as quality entertainment over Todd no emotion Bowles.

7. BroadwayAaron

As long as Williams won and was named new HC I'd agree.

blackssmagic and Harpua like this.
  8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I want to see winning football. I couldn't care less if the HC is unemotional or super emotional. The issue with Gase is he has no track record to suggest that he deserves full control of the roster.

9. BroadwayAaron

Fixed that for you.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Exactly.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

when the Raiders hired a guy from NFL Network as GM I LOL'ed hard...

now they wanna copy the Raiders?? :(:(

12. BroadwayAaron

Where does it say they want Jeremiah to be the GM?

And if we do bring Jeremiah on board we should be rejoicing. He's an accomplished scout that just so happened to turn to a career in TV, where he was a highly respected analyst come draft time. That alone makes this not even close to the Mayock scenario.

LAJet likes this.
  13. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Ugh makes sense. Even though we look like a circus right now, Macs ignorance of the offensive line has been borderline criminal over his tenure. While I don't have faith in Gase at the moment, he was thinking the same thing as literally everyone else: why the hell didnt we get a center?

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

According to an article at ganggreennation.com there are a couple of other prospective GM candidates.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/201...oe-douglas-as-jets-general-manager-candidates

I liked the idea of Douglas and Jeremiah a lot better, as well as Elliot Wolf. I don't think I want anyone from the Bears or Lions' scouting/personnel depts. but they could be good.

I read an article that mentioned Wolf (Ron Wolf's son) could be a candidate just a little while ago, but now can't find it.

#34 NCJetsfan, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The following article is written by a poster there, but he is the best poster there and has written a lot of good articles with topflight analysis.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/201...eplace-mike-maccagnan-as-jets-general-manager

Two top candidates to replace Mike Maccagnan as Jets general manager
    Two young guys with vision

The surprise firing of Mike Maccagnan has left the door open for a quality young forward thinking GM to take the helm of the New York Jets. The Jets need a smart, young talent evaluator to bring the them back into contention in the AFC East. They need someone who will value basic tenets such as a solid and strong offensive line to protect their young QB while working in new concepts from the college ranks.

Two Candidates who fit this criteria:

Joe Douglas- Vice President of Player Personnel for the Philadelphia Eagles
    He is in his third season in his current post and was a valued voice to Howie Roseman in building the Eagles’ Super Bowl roster. He came from the Chicago Bears where he spent a season as the Director of College Scouting. Before that he worked in the Ravens’ personnel department from 2000-2015. He is 45 years old.

“I have known Joe for several years and have admired his work with both the Ravens and the Bears,” said Howie Roseman, Eagles executive vice president of football operations. “He is a guy that we had targeted from the outset. I feel that we are very fortunate to have him lead our player personnel department. [Ravens general manager] Ozzie Newsome and [Bears general manager] Ryan Pace spoke very highly of him and his work. He is passionate about football, passionate about scouting and he played a vital role in the success of the Ravens over the last decade.”

As a member of the Ravens organization, Douglas held various posts which included serving as the club’s National Scout (2012-15), Southeast Area Scout (2009-11), East Coast Area Scout (2008), and Northeast Area Scout (2003-07). Douglas was first hired by Baltimore in 2000, where he worked as a Player Personnel Assistant for three years. He was responsible for fall and spring scouting assignments, college workouts, Draft visit coordination, managing the team’s college video library, and assisting the Pro Personnel Department with special teams evaluations of club opponents and unrestricted free agents.

He and his wife, Shannon, have two daughters, Addison and Leighton, and a son, Thomas.

Eliot Wolf- Assistant GM Cleveland Browns

Eliot Wolf is the assistant General Manager of the Cleveland Browns and has held the Post since January 2018. He has worked closely with the Browns GM John Dorsey and has played an integral role in the last two Drafts. Both he and John Dorsey are proteges of legendary Packer HOF GM Ron Wolf (Eliot’s father). Eliot is 37 years old.

• He came to Cleveland from the Green Bay Packers where he spent 14 seasons, most recently as the Director of Football Operations. He oversaw the team’s pro and college football departments in Green Bay during that time. He first came to the Packers in 2004 as a Pro Personnel Assistant. He has held these positions over the years.
    • Green Bay Packers (2004–2008)
    • Pro Personnel Assistant
    • Green Bay Packers (2008–2011)
    • Assistant Director of Pro Personnel
    • Green Bay Packers (2011–2012)
    • Assistant Director of Player Personnel
    • Green Bay Packers (2012–2015)
    • Director of Pro Personnel
    • Green Bay Packers (2015–2016)
    • Director of Player Personnel
    • Green Bay Packers (2016–2017)
    • Director of Football Operations
    • Cleveland Browns (2018–present)
    • Assistant General Manager
    Eliot developed a passion for scouting at 10 years old, joining his father Ron for film sessions at Lambeau Field. At age fourteen, he filed his first scouting report for the Atlanta Falcons and had assisted in Green Bay’s scouting efforts since 1993.

Packers president and CEO Mark Murphy spoke highly of Wolf. “He’s going to be a general manager someday.” “He’s extremely talented, and I have high respect for him, and I really believe he’s got a great career ahead of him.”

These two guys should be the first two phone calls from Christopher Johnson. He should not mess around with these talented men and offer them full autonomy of the GM position with the right to hire or fire whoever they deem fit.

Some say this was a bad time to fire Mike Maccagnan but I disagree. Anytime you believe your franchise is headed in the wrong direction, action needs to be taken including firing the person who is the problem. Would have it been better to fire Maccagnan the same time Todd Bowles was let go? Sure it would have been much better, but you can’t turn back the clock and change history. Change was needed, and the sooner the Jets have a leader the the correct vision the better.

This is a sort of down time in the NFL where only small moves are made. To hire a GM now lets him assess his team, hire the scouts he trusts, and put in any doctrines he feels are necessary. He gets to see his team from training camp until the following Draft and will know his teams strengths and weaknesses.

The Jets now have all the candidates to choose from without competition. They can make a well thought out decision without worrying about another team stealing their first choice. Of course the sooner the better, but it has to be a great choice.

What do you think?

16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'll take either, but will be cautiously optimistic until I see results. Both have far better resumes than Macc in 2015, so there's that.

17. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Certainly no to Elliot Wolf. I have a big problem with him getting passed right over the GB job when he was thought to be next in line for the position. The fact that that happened with a club where his dad is a living legend is a major red flag to me.

It’s Joe Douglas or bust for me and if he is ultimately hired I’ll start to see the positive in what on the surface looks to be a horrible disgraceful move.

blackssmagic and HomeoftheJets like this.
  18. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Elliot Wolf would be great. His father got away from us. Be cool if his son can come and be our savior. I remember reading Ron Wolf wanted Farve when he was with the Jets. the second he got to Green Bay he traded for him. Hopefully Wolf has the forsight with players that his father had and get us a championship.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

People are ripping the idea of Jeremiah. They forget he was a scout for the Ravens. He cut his teeth. Went to tv/podcast and is pretty good at that. If the Jets bring him in as one of the front office people that is fine. Not as a GM he would defintely need to learn that but as a piece for the front office I'd be happy with that. People might not agree with him but he does know football and he would be a good piece in the orginization.

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I’d see Eliot Wolf as a big time downgrade until proven otherwise.

I’d see Joe Douglas as a big time upgrade until proven otherwise.

I’d see a Joe Douglas and Daniel Jeremiah pairing as a grand slam and forget Macagnan ever existed.

boozer32 and tomdeb like this.