Maccagnan is Fired!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by westiedog1, May 15, 2019.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Sorry you were disappointed by his firing, but 5-11, 5-11 and 4-12 last 3 seasons just wasn't good enough for most of us. I guess you don't like being confronted with FACTS so you want them deleted.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I didn't say that. I just said it makes the Jets look like that from an outside standpoint. Firing your GM after letting him hire a Head Coach, spend so much money in Free Agency, and draft players, is an odd thing to do. Looks toxic and dysfunctional. We will see how it plays out. Could be the right move in the end.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I know. Your comments were much more sedate than others, but you still used the "moron" word and "crazy" and you do usually wait to find out facts before judging something, so I was just a little surprised. No big deal.

I think it will be the right move in the end. I wish that CJ could have made the decision earlier, but he said he started working on it before the end of the season, and it just took time. I'm sure that even though CJ was complimentary of the offseason and the addition, that and the interactions of Heimerdinger and Mac and Gase and Mac all factored into the decision, and it doesn't sound like those things happened until after FA and during the period leading up to the draft and perhaps afterwards.

It may mean nothing, but I'm really hoping that this is a sign that CJ is learning and is brighter than Woody, and is growing into the job of running the team. Hopefully, this process and the criticism will also help CJ see that he needs to hire an experienced quality football man as VP of Football Operations and let him run the team.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, agreed. It a little bit of a unique situation. Christopher Johnson is still learning. He felt the need to fire Mike Maccagnan. He had to know doing it in May is unorthodox, so he could have just waited until December. If he knows now though, he should pull the trigger and he did. I respect him for that, as he had to know heat was coming. We have all discussed Mac for years and no one can fully defend him keeping his job. Upgrading the GM position should not be that hard to do. It was just the timing and the situation that felt crazy to me. I wouldn't call it Same Old Jets or the Jets are a circus now. Far from it. They need Gase to succeed though. That will silence all critics.

NYJetsO12, NCJetsfan and jonnyd like this.
  5. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Macc should have been fired in January but at the end of the day I’d rather fire him now than wait til January.

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Oh please...Upset all the way to the Bank

He has incentives to hit on Macs contract before he can get more than the 14 Mil we gave him

That's his agenda

#606 NYJetsO12, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Hes Parcells minus the success,Superbowls,Playoff Wins,Coaching Success,etc.The only thing they have in common is they both need air to breath.

CBG likes this.
  8. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

The Johnsons dont realize how downhill things will go if Gase starts losing..I want him gone already...I never wanted him here to begin with

CBG and Cman68 like this.
  9. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I just think the media is so awful anymore. They take part of a bit and turn it into an article and others copy it as tho it is true. This is pathetic. No actual journalism besides a few people and even their responses are stretched thin.

We likely will never know the full reason, but I doubt it was a power play from Gase. It's likely after seeing the same thing CJ saw Mac do with Bowles, he realized that it wasn't going to get any better with a new coach.

Or it's likely that it was planned from the start like I truly believe it was.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Thanks for some great Posts...especially referring to to fanboys and homers state of denial..lol

Finally we might have a Business Plan !!! What Company or organization can survive or succeed without one?

The problem with many on the GG is while they appear passionate in support of the team they are also

darksiders looking for the worst possible outcomes

God forbid we start winning some games ! It would mean "lunatic" Gase and his GM friend are on to something ...SMH

But no..everyone is more worried how the Jets look like a circus to the rest of the League...pathetic

#610 NYJetsO12, May 16, 2019
    ColoradoContrails and tomdeb like this.
  11. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I can't really debate Mac being fired. I just hate the optics and timing and once again falling into laughingstock mode when it seemed like we were on something of a stable course. I didn't even mind if Gase and Mac butted heads at times. But for this to happen as it was I just hope it's Douglas who's the guy. It had better be him

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Seen this movie before we all know how it ends.

13. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Francesa nailed it

"There are two big losers in all of this. One, is Sam Darnold. Two, is the Jets fans."

#613 DarrelleRevis.Human?, May 16, 2019
    Footballgod214 likes this.
  14. jesterjetman

jesterjetman Active Member

I don't know why the media is going crazy over the timing when it's exceedingly clear Mac was being evaluated during the offseason (like a coach would be during the season), and was deemed unworthy of the position.

15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Slow news day potty mouth . : )

odd timing, no problem with the axing though

from the very beginning his "offensive line talent can be found at the middle and later rounds" comment was enough to gave pause...

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Cmon, they haven’t even played a game yet? This kind of thinking is a joke.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

In a vacuum maybe, firing him after letting him spend 100 and the 3rd pick in a pivotal offseason is horrible timing. Unless of course you are not firing him for his personnel moves. But if that’s the case than that means cj was ok with with the roster he has been putting together for 5 years and that’s terrifying on another level

CBG and westiedog1 like this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Then you're gonna LOVE Gase!

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article223850050.html

"After the 2016 season when the Dolphins needed a serious upgrade to their defense, Gase decided he could make the offense operate on the cheap while the defense added players. So the coach practically ignored the need for guards.

And Ross challenged him about that.

And Gase yelled at the owner about knowing more about football than he did. Multiple sources say a high-ranking club official had to intervene and tell Gase he could not speak to the owner — his boss — that way."

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/...0190515-pmkeqreghncdha4nojcok7vchy-story.html

"Although CEO Christopher Johnson claimed to be impressed with Maccagnan and Gase’s ability to put together a good plan for the present and future, the acting owner failed to reveal this truth: Gase made it clear that he did not want to spend big money on a running back (or a center, for that matter), according to sources. He simply did not feel that he needed a pricey running back to properly execute his system."

Ralebird and K'OB like this.
  19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

While I don't doubt that happened (dude got canned for a reason) I just wanted to say that Armando Salgureo sucks.... he's like the bizarro Mannish

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Odd that the coach would be upset about having a guy like Bell, but maybe he thought the money was better spent elsewhere...like a center.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.