Maccagnan is Fired!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by westiedog1, May 15, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think it's because they base it too much on whether they like the guy personally. They don't have any business acumen or experience on which to draw, so all they can go by is whether they like his personality and sounds like he know what he's talking about.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  2. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Only the Jets can make the right move and still completely screw it up at the same time.

Acad23 and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're apparently making too much sense for those who continue to be shocked at the timing. This is called denial. You and I and a few others said numerous times that if they were going to fire Macc, after the draft was the time. But all those naysayers who ridiculed the very idea of that are now in disbelief. Why? Because of cognitive dissonance - the reality they prefer to believe in doesn't match actual reality.

This is the best news for the Jets in a long time. Of course it will depend heavily on who they hire to replace him, but if they get that right, it will franchise-altering, even more than getting Darnold, and that's huge.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Dean, I get your passion, and often agree with you, but step back a minute ans think about this. Macc hadn't done well in any of his previous 4 drafts - with the arguable exception of his 1st rounders - so what harm would come from giving him one more shot? It's not franchise destroying. On the other hand, allowing him to continue as GM until the end of this season and giving your new GM such little time to prepare for the FA an draft seasons would have a much bigger negative impact.

NCJetsfan and tomdeb like this.
  5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The only head coach hired this offseason who is clearly better than Gase wasn't coming here. The article fails to mention that we got the best available Offensive minded coach to work with Sam who wasn't named Bruce Arians.

NYJetsO12, Acad23, NCJetsfan and 3 others like this.
  6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

As I have stated, what Gase said to C Johnson behind closed doors, should have remained between them not been thrown out into the public arena. I'm sure reading it has a negative effect on Bell and Moseley.
    That's what makes this franchise look bad. Now we will have unnecessary tension and drama entering camp.
    A simple statement from C Johnson like, this is what we feel is best for the NY Jets organization at this time. We respect the work Mike Maccagan did and wish him the best in the future. Would have been appropriate.
    Airing dirty laundry, unnecessary and a potential cause of conflict.
    As for Joe Douglas, the Eagles just recently won a Super Bowl. Everyone is loved.
    I have no issues with him, but I did say he came on board with the Eagles after the 2016 draft and free agency period and the majority of the Super Bowl roster was already in place.
    That's in no way a negative or false narrative.

IIMeanDeanII, Attackett and jetsclaps like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/front-office/joe-douglas

That's how you're wrong. You claimed he had nothing to do with that roster.

You're also possibly wrong stating that we have another Idzik-Ryan situation. You don't know that at all. Just because the HC is already here doesn't necessarily mean that it will be a bad marriage with the two not on the same page. It may not be the ideal or "right" way to go about hiring the new GM, in terms of the relationship with the HC, but it's much better timing in terms of giving the GM time to get to evaluate the team, make changes in the Scouting and Personnel Depts. and gives him a lot more time to prepare for the draft, and since the most important aspect of a GM's job is the draft and FA, I'm gonna go with what gives the GM the best chance to succeed. Firing a GM in December/January is the worst time to fire a GM because it gives him little or no time to prepare for FA and the draft, forget getting settled and having time to evaluate the team. It also forces him to go into his first draftt with his predecessor's scouting dept.

If I was spinning with my possible scenario, you're spinning too with yours, so take the log out of your own eye before you talk about the splinter in mine. I just said that those were possible scenarios. I also said that people shouldn't be panicking and rushing to conclusions. Most of the board was killing CJ and the Jets without having one shred of factual information about it. You all just assumed it was wrong, bad and stupid.

I've been one of the biggest proponents of the Jets hiring a VP of Football Operations. I've said for years that the Johnsons were clueless doofuses and that if we were to have any real hope for the future short of the Johnsons selling the team, it would be if they hired an experienced, quality football man and let him run the team. In spite of my thoughts about them, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and wait until I hear all the facts before I judge them on the timing.

8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Biggs, was Gase your second option as coach ? To be honest this guy was NOT even on my list. There were College coaches who you and I really do not know if they will make good head coaches in the NFL when they are finally given the chance but they were at least on my list. As I said I think the article is spot on.

9. NCJetsfan

I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that Mac DID get some good offers to trade down this year, couldn't make up his mind, and eventually ran out of time on the clock and had to take Q. Williams.

10. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Check the Eagles cap space. They are and have been up against the wall a couple of seasons. Cost of a championship though, so IMO worth it
    I don't like Gase as a HC based on his time in Miami, I hate Gase as a GM based on his time in Miami.
    Those who say he was limited in Miami do to personal, then throw out Cutler and Osweiler, fail to acknowledge that he hand picked those players and he routinely shipped out talent who weren't his guys.

SOJAZ and Attackett like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

So did the Packers with Ron Wolf and the Browns fired their GM and hired Dorsey when the Chiefs fired him. No one trashed the Packers or Browns, either.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. Is the dirty laundry an issue? Yep.Can real men that wanna win & are joined at the hip work through it? Yep.And CJ should be involved in smoothing this over too.

As for Douglas it means more to me that he is at least a competent evaluator & is a visionary capable of team architecture,Than it does the superficial resume side of it. Eagles have a great rep for talent procurement as well as solid prototypes..if he was their big personnel guy and he/Gasr get along & see things the same way w give & take i think this could work out

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Gase as GM is going to be a disaster, wonder who gets sent out next for peanuts?

14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

but those college coaches that you love didnt turn down the Jets because of teh Macc situation. The article is kinda hot garbage

15. NCJetsfan

Based on the Jets' history and the history of the Johnsons' decisions and hires, I can certainly understand your and others comments and thoughts on this. The thing is that Gase is only the interim GM, and that's only because there's no one else qualified since Heimerdinger was fired as well. If Joe Douglas is hired as the GM, he and Gase are friends and will be on the same page, and there will be no animosity or backstabbing behind the scenes. Let's wait and see how this plays out. Douglas may not want the job. Chris Johnson could hire Casserly, and in that case, I will scream for Chris Johnson's head. IMO the important thing is that Mac deserved to be fired and he was fired. We just have to hope that the Jets make the right hire.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I dont mind firing Mac. I'm not advocating that this part of the equation isn't valid.

I'm not on board with others that seem to think he was the worst GM ever, he wasn't, but I also see the rationale behind the firing.

My issue is the obvious perception of why this is happening now and the overall timing of the move. Also, the impact this may have on the locker room now, the future structure, the weak minded owner, and past history with, Gase.

This already reeks of an MO that we've already heard about and seen from a distance with, Gase. In his tenure with Miami.

I cant for the life of me understand how this guy is managing to achieve these things with his fits and demeanor, especially since he didn't even do better than the coach we just fired.

I'm thinking long term for this team, where the signa are currently pointing, and it looks extremely bad right now to me.

I'm going to keep saying it.

The writing is on the wall.

It may not have been imperative for the new GM to have those resources that Mac just used up, but it would've sped up the process. Now we are a day late and a dollar short on top of it all.

Then I listen to Johnson presser following the firing. The guy is an elite moron, lesser minds will eat that shit up, I could read through all of the nonsense he was spewing.

It's a bad look and I'm extremely annoyed because Mac did being a potential FQB to the table. People can hate him all they want, he maneuvered us into that position to make that happen, I can see that being thrown right down the drain in a SOJ fashion because of potential circus atmospheres just like this one.

It's extremely concerning and we are in a position to simply, just, dont fuck this up type of situation.

Unfortunately. I think ownership is already traveling down the path of fuck up because it's the Jets after all.

Damn.

CBG and Attackett like this.
  17. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Johnny how do you or I know why ANY coach either turned it down or were turned away ? The stories and reports were out there I am not saying that all of them were true but I am not saying that all of them were false either. I don't think its garbage as I said IMO I think its spot on

jonnyd likes this.
  18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Gase is the GM. Whoever the Jets hire will be Gase's guy. The Lee trade made that clear. Unless that guy gets Gase fired. That could happen too.

Ralebird likes this.
  19. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

So we have a coach in place that as long as he has a hand picked friendly GM at his side there will be no back stabbing? Sounds awesome.

Ralebird likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

I can understand your pessimism considering the Jets and the Johnsons' history. I'm not gonna panic or be a pessimist about this, however.

With regards to your points above, what assistant GMs and personnel dept. guys of other teams have you heard of? Most of us have never heard of any of the prospective GM candidates. Douglas is credited with having major input on putting together the Eagles' SB winning roster. Just because they're friends doesn't mean that Douglas will roll over and give Gase everything he wants. Do you do that (give them everything they want) with your friends? I don't know about you, but I never agree with my friends on everything, but I respect their opinion, and we can agree to disagree. Also, just because we had never heard of any conflicts between Mac and Heimerdinger before doesn't meant that they didn't happen. They've been very good at keeping things quiet, so it should not be surprising that this hasn't come out before. If there wasn't a problem, why would Heimerdinger have been fired?

ColoradoContrails likes this.