Maccagnan is Fired!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by westiedog1, May 15, 2019.

1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

It’s a dumb ass argument which is why I’m not all surprised you agree with it.

2. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

The coach is the guy. GMs do not win games on the field. A team like New England does not win because they get the best talent. They win because they have the best coached talent and the best attitude

#442 jdon, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree with the timing being bad.

We don't know who the new GM will be. If it's Douglas, then he and Gase are friends, so they should work together very well and be on the same page. Even if it's not Douglas it could be someone good who will be professional and seek to work well with Gase. If Gase and the team don't produce, then the new GM may be able to cut bait with Gase next year and hire his own HC.

Only Bell will have to report to a HC who didn't want him. Gase's problem was with the money that Mosley got, not Mosley.

You're wrong about Douglas and the Eagles and Douglas' background.

4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I'm really not sure what Mike McIdiot was EVER chasing. Look at his 2017 draft for the jets--FOUR DBs, Three receivers, and a few scrubs. Zero OL and DL in that draft. Telling me they were all BPA? Ardarius Stewart who McIdiot took in the 3rd round was in most circles a potential 6th or 7th rounder. He lasted 1 year in the league.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

Not necessarily. Perhaps they just didn't want to give complete control to THOSE coaching candidates. Perhaps CJ trusts Gase more. Also, Gase only has complete control for a short time. He is also the "interim" GM, not the new GM.

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The whole LeVeon Bell thing is so alarming to me. To reiterate, either Gase didn't want Bell at all which makes him not smart or Gase didn't want Bell for the contract we signed him to which makes him even less smart. Factoring in how badly he mismanaged Miami's running game between wasting Drake and running Ajayi out of town plus how bad his offenses are outside of one year in Denver... I really have no clue how anyone has faith in the guy. There's a reason no one wanted him but us.

Ralebird, Bellys Lies, FJF and 2 others like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

I was in favor of firing Mac along with Bowles at the end of the season, but CJ was not. He said upon delving more deeply into the team and then the situation with Heimerdinger forced his hand. This organization is bush league, but the timing is not considering that CJ wasn't intent on firing Mac. He changed his mind. The important thing is that Mac is gone, and we have a chance to get a better GM.

ColoradoContrails and tomdeb like this.
  8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Your first two lines are EXACTLY what i thought when i heard McIdiot had (finally!) been canned.

9. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

This is an absolute fucking joke...you dont fire the GM on the word of Adam Gase.He is a complete nobody in the league.

Ralebird likes this.
  10. Ohnoit'sGeno

Ohnoit'sGeno Active Member

Thanks you just jinxed the Jets. You wish bad things on other teams, don't be surprised if those bad things happen to the Jets instead. Bad Karma.

11. NCJetsfan

I didn't wish bad things. I said I wouldn't care if it happened. I didn't say that I hoped it happened. That's different.

Pags2112 likes this.
  12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Well Adam Gase its deep playoff run this year or Jets fans will make sure your head gets mounted on a spike outside the stadium

13. Well..believe me im all for a VPof football operations.But even w that in place gm/coach has become a collaborative effort league wide.I think the AJ Smith/Schottenheimer and/or Baalke/Harbaugh situations made teams rethink things.I actually think it SHOULD be collaborative.Its a team game let the 2 entities work together w.o unnecessary haste.

As for the Johnsons..yeah theyre not football people at all.But neither are Kraft,Blank,Irsay right down the line. The exceptions are the Maras & the rooneys who right now dont seem so bright w the state of their franchises.

The difference between those other owners is theyve hired the right people & have a much better grasp of timing/infrastructure. A VP of football operations would hopefully eliminate that portion.Also the standard of winning. I had an epiphany about this the other day.Its not that the johnsons dont care about winning..of course they wanna win...its that they are too content & accepting of LOSING.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The question is how do the Johnsons keep botching HC and GM hires when other teams get it right.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. The coach certainly matters more but BB would likely have a few more rings if he procured more talent.Theyve had a few years where they lost bc they couldnt match up w more talented teams that had almost as good of coaching.

The real key is the gm/coach being in unision & a firm understanding of what fits the scheme & the prototypes.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  16. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Please, in what way am I wrong about Douglas's background? He was hired mid May of 2016, post draft and free agency, so he had zero imput prior to that. They won the SB in 18, for the 17 season championship. Most of the roster was in place prior to that year.
    As far as timing, it was bad. Now we have another Idzick Ryan situation. As far as scouts go, most are on multi year contracts, the ones available are those who were fired, usually due to lack of performance.
    Now you can try to spin it any way you like with hypothetical situations,CJ didn't like the FAs signed,or draft picks, and just came to this decision. But the fact is,CJ had to sign off on every FA contract before it was made and was surely aware of the draft board.
    The most likely scenario, is Gase got in CJs ear whining that he can't win with players like Bell, Crowder, and Mosley and Johnson, who is to stupid to know what he doesn't know, fell for it giving Gase ( who expressed total confidence in Harrison at center pre draft) control. At least for now.
    That is why the orgizational structure won't work here. The few teams who have a similar structure and are successful have football men as owners. Steelers for example.

stinkyB likes this.
  17. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Spot on. This team has unfortunately had no identity for years.
    Until this team has a VP of football operations, A GM and a HC that are on the same page, we will continue to fail.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  18. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

It's Manish.. take it with a grain of salt.

I read part of the context of the conf call and to be honest I can see Chris Johnson's point. Could CJ still be full of shit? of course but it makes more sense with his further explanation.

Look at it this way.. No one ever heard of CJ before Woody handed him the keys to the franchise. Woody was NOT a football guy, didn't get involved, listened to the wrong people and let them spend money foolishly. He tells CJ it's a easy job just hire people and let them run the place, go make appearances, smile, kiss babies etc. CJ steps into this with Woody's ridiculous advice, Mac drafts a franchise QB in the 1st off-season with CJ as defacto owner so all looks well. Toilet shits the bed yet again, everyone knows it, calls for his head and he gets fired. CJ decides to be his own person and wants to know more about how the firm operates. He shadows Mac and Gase, witnesses the disagreement on FA money for some players, witnesses Mac and Gase not getting along, digs deeper, reads TGG and realizes Mac can't draft for shit 2 weeks after this past draft then shit cans him today. No one here would be that unaware of Mac's horrible draft record, overpaying for FA in his 1st year after the 1 year Idzik regime, reaching for projects in early rounds of the draft etc. but he's a Trust baby, everything is rosey and hey it's fun to be owner without paying for the team. Maybe, just maybe CJ woke up and realized Woody is a moron, Mac sucks, he has 2 years left with the orange haired Orangutan running the country so he wants to make his mark before Woody comes back so maybe he has success and Woody goes sailing around the world and helps take plastic out of the ocean for a few years.

Then again maybe Gase has pics of CJ in a compromising situation and Crazy eyes is in charge.

NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I agree with Gase so I must be less smart too.

20. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Just landed at Kennedy...

stinkyB and Cman68 like this.