Jordan Jenkins: Coming off of a 7 sack 2018 campaign.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, May 14, 2019.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

I personally loved Jordan Jenkins coming out of the S.E.C with Georgia. Made a thread at the time comparing his college statistics as a Bulldog to that of his teammate Leonard Floyd who had all the ESPN media hype while overlooking Jenkins.

He's imo very underrated as was Bryan Thomas. He can set the edge and as seen last year with 7 sacks can also get after the Quarterback.

Jamal Adams another year under his belt.

The additions of C.J Mosley and Quinnen Williams.

Another potential pass rusher in Polite opposite etc

And who knows maybe Jet fans won't be sleeping on Jordan Jenkins for too much longer because if anyone on our defense is prime for a breakout year it's Jenkins himself, who's now being surrounded by a lot more talent; wouldn't be a shock for me to see him record double digit sacks or at least a lot more disruptive with Quarterback pressures due to having more freedom to pin his ears back and go after the QB.

Imo Jenkins is a very underrated topic of discussion and if he takes another leap here in 2019 could become a household name for us moving forward.

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Good post!

The #1 enemy for a pass rusher is a clean pocket for the QB to step into, avoiding the edge pressure.

With Quinnen AND Big Cat (plus Anderson) charging up the middle, there will be far fewer 'clean pockets'. These 3 will consistently force the QB off his spot, denying him safe space to avoid the rush or step into his pass.

Our Q pick will do more to jack up Jenkins numbers than anything else we could have done. Again, CAN'T WAIT!

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Bryan Thomas wasn’t under rated. He had a nice career, his problem was he was drafted instead of Ed reed. That said Jenkins is a nice player who should have a long career as a solid not great outside linebacker.

4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I expect Greg Williams to help him achieve that goal.

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Now that I think of it, Jets were in no win situation to win when it comes to Bryan Thomas and Ed Reed.

I have no confidence whatsoever that Jets could utilize the talent well. If Jets picked up Ed Reed and Bryan Thomas was picked later by some good defensive team, Jets fans would have turned on Ed Reed as "The Bastard we picked instead of BT."

=======================================

For Jenkins, the time to shine is now. He'd better get his shit together and go after QBs. I see him as a 8-sack kind of guy but if he does break 10 sack barrier and makes QBs miserable, I'd be happy.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  6. Early 80's

Early 80's Active Member

While I think the addition of Greg Williams as DC is a HUGE upgrade, I think the coaching staff took a downgrade at OLB. Williams will be responsible for the schemes. The coaching up on the players, in year 2, Jenkins and Copeland saw a sizeable production of sacks increased and while I think some of that is from their marginal talent(good, not great), some of it was also from technique that Kevin Greene instilled in them for 2 years. Luvu also benefited from that coaching.

Greene is certainly one coach that I would have PREFERRED to retain... as for Joe Vitt, I have no idea what he can teach. Time for him to prove it.

7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

If nothing more, we should have a solid defense this season. We’ll be taking risks, which means giving up points, but the risk may outshine the reward.

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'm just eager to see what Jenkins can do after leading our defense with 7.0 sacks once surrounded by both C.J Mosley and Quinnen Williams (which should help Leonard Williams too). And if Polite can show anything, Jordan Jenkins will be a force when pinning his ears back.

9. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Jordan Jenkins looks fat to me !

Footballgod214 likes this.
  10. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

The Jets do not have an A+ talent pass rusher, but they have a bunch of B- to B+ pass rushers.

Williamson, Q, Leo, Jenkins, Copeland, Anderson, Polite, etc.

None of those guys are going to register 10+ sacks, but they all have the potential and capability of around 8 sacks.

I like our pass rush. I don't love it. If Q or Polite become 10+ sack guy, I may love it.

11. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

so does Robby anderson

12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Having better defensive schemes and players will help Jenkins achieve that goal. It remains to be seen what he'd do if he suddenly was a pass rushing LB ...he sets the edge more then fine, but at times he comes out the game on 3rd downs....

13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Jordan Jenkins has been very underrated and was a quality 3rd rd selection for Mac. He’ll never be a star but is a high quality role player.

14. Ohnoit'sGeno

Ohnoit'sGeno Active Member

I guarantee he never sees 7 sacks in a season again. He's a nice backup , but ideally you want to be starting a better Olb.