Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Canadian model which blows says we hit low 80 s and GFS says we hit 90

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

SO apparently..... a lightning strike fried my 2 year old refrigerator yesterday.... rt after the warranty expired :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Stinky how the heck can that even be determined ? Unless theres video of the strike,,the company just explaining away why the fridge is done,,details ?

4. stinkyB

That's my determination.... hasnt been checked yet as I really didnt know it was acting nutty until 10pm last night.... then woke up to a freezer of thawed food.

I work from home and we had a short but fierce T-storm.... I was working on the computer, when shit flashed (luckily my computer is plugged into a $90 APC surge protector... it "popped" with the strike)..... OH, and I was using this computer because my macbook pro died earlier in the morning.... :mad::mad::mad::mad:

CBG likes this.
  5. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

You can tell by what the components look like when you open it to take a look. Not much would replicate the look of components hit with that much power. If the fridge is out of warranty there is really no reason for them to try and explain it away. My friends sailboat was hit and it did over $30,000 in damage, electricity doesn't screw around

6. The Waterboy

I just had an issue with my electric and it fried the whole house surge protector, I definitely need to get another, just about everything in my house is a year old or less, don't need to be replacing all that

7. stinkyB

yeah, the fridge was prob the only thing drawing at the time..... I think it's just a toasted relay switch based on it's behavior (hopefully) but I called someone anyway, and will find out tomorrow.... luckily I needed to go grocery shopping, so much much food went into the trash.... hopefully its not a few hundo for a 2 year old fridge. Homedepot & lowes have them on sale until tomorrow :confused:

8. The Waterboy

I think they also have good deals on memorial day. I know with Depot they will credit you back if something goes on sale within 30 days of purchase so you would be covered.

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Ah lightening in Florida. Always exciting.
    About 15 years ago in the middle of a thunderstorm I was walking out of my bedroom hit the power button on the tv to turn it off and got my hand blown off the button and a shock right through me. When I got done cursing I had to start looking for the burning metal smell in the kitchen. Never found it that night. Next day I find the corner of my foundation, the face of 2 cinder blocks, crumbled on the grass, arc marks on the chain link fence post right next to it and found out my dishwasher wasn’t working anymore and was definitely the source of the metal smell.
    My guess is lightning hit the fence travels through the block hit the tv soho house I saved by taking that charge and then blew out my dishwasher. The blue flash when I initially hit the power button on the tv had me seeing spots for a few minutes. Now I won’t touch a tv during a lightening storm. Remote only

CBG likes this.
  10. stinkyB

well, they guy's coming between 12-2 tomm.... if he tells me it's more than $200 to fix, I'll pay him for driving over, then make a bee-line to the store (the same fridge is on sale for around 625).... I bought it way before I could use at the 1st black friday after the hurricane for around 500... (delayed the delivery for as long as I could, then sat in the box for like 6 months)

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Sea Bass season opens today! I'm planning a weekend trip and so far the weather looks great for a change!

CBG likes this.
  12. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Well close your windows in the cars and in the houses,,,,its gonna Thunderstorm pretty soon, Cman might be seeing them already = I always forget what part of PA he's in . Radar is lighting up to our West and they are heading EAST

13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

just a gorgeous day out there today !

14. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Looks like T-storms are coming back on Thursday for the NY metro area. As long as the holiday weekend is nice. That is all I want.

CBG likes this.
  15. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Greg we need to keep an eye on Thursday as right now there is a chance of T storms but Im not sure if they make it all the way to NYC but its still a day away. As for the weekend, right now Saturday could have some Thunderstorms or Rain but we still have 3 days for that to ALL CHANGE.

16. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I checked my location Fair Lawn, NJ (Bergen County) and it shows isolated and scattered t-storms starting Thursday mid afternoon up until about 10:00 Thursday night. It ranged from about 40-50% chance except 6:00 - 7:00 when it went up to 50-60%.

17. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

We might luck out this weekend,,,,,,its looking better right now than it was a few hours ago. Regardless AFTER the weekend ( Im talking mid next week ) looks to get REALLY HOT time will tell first things first lets get Thru Thursday then all eyes on the weekend

18. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Wow I was in the yard a few minutes ago the sky looks ridiculous---> its pitch black in one direction bright pink and orange in the other direction = I came inside and checked out the radar and a flying monkey alert definitely needs to be issued and I would not be surprised if a tornado warning or 2 go up as the radar looks intense. Be safe all.

19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

be safe all =
    BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
    Tornado Warning
    National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
    830 PM EDT Tue May 28 2019

The National Weather Service in Mount Holly NJ has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
    Central Morris County in northern New Jersey...
    South central Sussex County in northwestern New Jersey...

* Until 900 PM EDT.

* At 830 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado
    was located over Netcong, or 10 miles south of Newton, moving
    southeast at 35 mph.

HAZARD...Tornado and half dollar size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation.

IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without
    shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed.
    Damage to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur. Tree
    damage is likely.

* Locations impacted include...
    Morristown, Dover, Madison, Hopatcong, Florham Park, East Hanover,
    Chatham, Wharton, Rockaway, Morris Plains, Mount Arlington,
    Mendham, Mountain Lakes, Stanhope, Netcong, Victory Gardens,
    Succasunna, Succasunna-Kenvil, Parsippany and Budd Lake.

20. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member