Game of Thrones HBO Weekly Discussion (Enter at your own risk of Spoilers.)

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by gustoonarmy, Apr 15, 2011.

1. NYJ79

NYJ79 Well-Known Member

....welp.

So um....welcome to the Dark Side, DaenAerys III.

2. NYJ79

NYJ79 Well-Known Member

I take back all of my disagreements from last week. I watched that initial scene thinking to myself "well then why didn't you do that LAST EPISODE!?" But like I said, the answer wasn't logic or sensible character motivations, it was "plot". The plot wasn't ready for the big battle yet, so they sat there like chumps and took it up the ass from Euron's fleet. Just like the plot needed Dany to burn the Iron fleet, so they only had one ship-mounted scorpion rather than the dozen from last week, and she nimbly dodged every shot with ease.

Battle scenes were an A+, but tthen, this show has always been good at raw spectacle. Plotwise....hoo boy. Even given the lightning pace at which this show has moved thru story beats the last two seasons, Dany's turn towards being the Mad Queen was so fast that it was already straining credulity to the breaking point, then tonight...I was expecting her to fly up to the Red Keep and burn the bitch alive (which would've been fine), or say fuck the surrender and kill her remaining soldiers, instead she goes street-by-street carrying out a wholesale massacre, simply because the script said so. If this is where they were going with her character arc, they should've started laying the groundwork ages ago, instead she went from a likely just ruler to the woman who burned a half million people out of anger in a couple of episodes.

Who kills her in the finale? I honestly have NFI at this point.

Also, this show hasnt had any idea what to do with Varys for years, so I guess it's appropriate that he went out like a bitch. He turned on her too quickly to believe, but I guess that's in keeping with everything else on this show the last 2 seasons.

Speaking of going out like bitches, the Golden Company. lol. Weren't they a bigger deal than this? I wonder why they bothered casting the role of Strickland if this is all he and his army amounted to.

#2262 NYJ79, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Sam Hammer and FJF like this.
  3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

If this season was 10 episodes, like HBO wanted it to be, then we wouldn't have an issue with pacing. Realistically though, it makes sense that Dany went Mad Queen. Think back to season 2 when she is in the House of the Undying and sees the vision with the Iron Throne, we are led to believe its snow but its actually ash. All throughout the show she has repeatedly lost everything. Her brother, her husband, her unborn child, her best friend and most trusted adviser Jorah, Missandai, and two dragons. Then, to top it all of, Jon is the rightful heir to throne that she has sacrificed everything to achieve and the people love him.

All of that aside, I don't believe this was "Mad Queen" Daenerys, but rather it was a calculated move to strike fear into the people. Earlier in the episode when Jon rejected her, she mentioned that she has no love in Westeros, she only has fear. Her last words that scene were "Fear it is". It was calculated.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I love it.. that was the best episode this season by far

Falco21 and The Dark Knight like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yeah the consistency in this season is pretty poor as is the stupidity of some characters who weren't stupid before doing stuff that makes no sense. It's clear they wrote an ending and then decided to do whatever to reach that whether it made sense or not. I also think it's clear that jon snow gets the throne at this point. her burning the city and varys and varys words to jon were all enough for him to not want her to be his queen anymore

Sam Hammer likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

it was a good episode with lots of good moments and scenes and the whole season was liek that, but as a whole the season is a bit disappointing when u step back and look at everything. it's best to just enjoy the ride at this point

Sam Hammer and BrowningNagle like this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I feel like no matter which side you are cheering for, or which character you like, you should be upset and disappointed right now. :D

I enjoyed it though. Really well shot with beautiful visuals and cinematography. Dany going full heel was expected at some point, but when it did not happen throughout the entire series, I just thought it would not. Instead, they waited until the last minute.

She is obviously going down in the series finale. Who will get the throne though? Jon? Sansa? Arya? Tyrion? Drogon? We will see.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

This season should've been 10 episodes. Instead you have 6 episodes with 2 of them being fillers (first 2 episodes), then leave 4 episodes to cover all grounds. Horrible idea, I heard HBO wanted 10 episodes too.

Last night's episode was epic though, RIP TO MY DUDE THE HOUND.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I feel like they went full summer blockbuster with this season. Bad script great visuals. Still like it but won’t knock the wire off it’s top spot on my personal list.

My prediction, Arya kills dany Sansa becomes queen

Cidusii likes this.
  10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That is a great way to explain it. I agree.

I felt they handled most of the character arcs terribly this episode. Especially Tyrion, Dany, and Jamie. Just seemed a little random and for plot convenience. I don't feel the characters we have watched for 8 seasons would make those decisions.

Speaking of Arya, she is the one character who seems to be on point all season. She is definitely gunning for Dany in the finale.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

when u listen to the after the episode stuff, u can see why the issues are what they are. everything is "we knew we wanted this or we knew we wanted that" so instead of naturally developing a story and having a character act in character they started backwards with the outcome they wanted then made the character do whatever to get that outcome. still it was an enjoyable episode and doens't seem like there is enough time to wrap everything up but the mountain vs hound was pretty awesome and at least in character for the hound. really him and john were the only 2 who acted in character

12. BrowningNagle

we are halfway to my dream ending: "I hope the series ends with her burning everything down, taking the throne and killing Jon Snow"

it lines up nicely- the unsullied tell her that Tyrion released Jamie and that Jon Snow tried to pull back when they were seizing the city. She executes them both. then she just sends her dragon up to winterfell for fun

13. GasedAndConfused

yeah it's really completely odd. i can give a pass to jaime though as he's always done stupid shit for cersei and is fully aware of it. he went to save her and failed but at least died with her. dany is batshit crazy which we all seen coming and tyrion went from the cleverest person to an idiot making bad choices over and over again

The Dark Knight likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

arrogant for sure lol. and he paid for it. there was no reason for him to fight jaime other then he wanted to slay the king slayer for glory and didn't think jaime had a chance. Euron is pretty dumb and arrogant for sure

15. 101GangGreen101

Those 2 filler episodes really didn't do this season any justice. They could've made those 2 episodes, 1 episode. I still wish we found out just who the Night King truly was, like the person and why was he chosen? Its in the books so I'll probably read up on it. So many other characters and their respective arcs have suffered. Cersei went out like a bitch too. The lack of battle strategies in this season hurt as well.

Season has been good though, had potential to be one of the greatest last seasons ever for a show.

16. 101GangGreen101

Yeah, Breaking Bad and The Wire hands down are still my favorites as well.

FJF likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

IDK i didn't see either as filler personally. it was pre war prep and post war fallout. no way to make it 1 episode since u needed the batle in the middle. and there really wasn't a lot that could have been cut out. a lot of it was to finalize the relationships with the characters. i could see them being boring if you haven't watched form the begining but if you seen all the episodes i think they were good overall.

as far as the NK it is odd that he wasn't more fleshed out but i guess not everyone needs to be. he might not have been anyone special. he was created when he was killed and then spent all his time working on revenge to wipe out humanity. revenge is a big thing in GOT. the hound and the mountain, arya and cersie, dany and everyone lol

cersei was super annoying too. for someone who has done everything right for herself the whole series to stay in power and for self perseverance, she just sat there watching the city burn. again this comes down to the cersei/jamie moment and the "jamie dying in the arms of the one he loves" prediction instead of cersei being smart and running after the walls were breached and her army surrendered. as soon as the bells rung she should have fled and if dany wasn't dumb, she would have burned her 1st before going all ape shit on the town.

and yeah the battles haven't made a lot of sense, but they've been fun to watch. i mean dany has 2 dragons and 1 instantly gets killed by super fast loading arrow spam, so she goes back to winterfell, then returns with 1 and takes out every dragon killing weapon and the iron fleet and the gates single-handedly? like WTF

18. BrowningNagle

I just think its funny that it took Jamie an entire season to travel from Winterfell to Kings Landing once. The Hound & Arya just did it in like less than 1 episode. :D

then you got Cersei. If she was pregnant at the end of last season as she announced, then with all the shit that has gone on, it would have to be the world's longest pregnancy!!! and they didn't even take the extra time/detail to make her look pregnant SMH

19. GasedAndConfused

even funnier dany and tyrion and company traveled back to winterfell from KL and back as well in the same time it seemed unless i missed something. seems like they went back only to go back and fight

20. 101GangGreen101

They could've totally had those first 2 episodes be 1 episode. The White Walker war didn't end until after episode 3's conclusion.

NK was a big threat from the start. Now, I understand the NK isn't actually in the books, but as someone they hyped up for years and years, a decent backstory would've been nice. Why did the Children of the Forest choose that person to become the NK?

Sam Hammer likes this.