Jamal Adams: Jets embracing 'win-now type of mentality'

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, May 8, 2019.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

New York Jets safety Jamal Adams is ready for a culture change, Herbie Teope of NFL.com reports.

Since entering the league in 2017 as the sixth overall pick of the draft, Adams has endured being part of the Jets' 9-23 record. But he believes the approach to altering the team's course starts during the offseason workout program.

"Obviously we're in New York. This is a win-now type of mentality and that's how we're taking it," Adams said, via Eric Allen of the Jets' official website. "We have to keep stacking the days and keep working out and I think we'll be fine."

The Jets have plenty of reason to be optimistic for a quick turnaround after posting losing records in four of the last five seasons.

For one, the team has a new head coach in Adam Gase. But more important, Gase has a roster that has been built for success on both sides of the football through the draft and free agency in the past two years since Adams arrived.

Sam Darnold, the third overall pick of the 2018 draft, is the franchise quarterback the team desperately needed before he arrived, and the signal-caller is surrounded by talent. Wide receiver Robby Anderson returns, and the Jets added two-time All-Pro running back Le'Veon Bell and wide receiver Jamison Crowder in free agency.

On defense, Adams has more than held his own and broke out last year with 115 tackles, 3.5 sacks, an interception and 12 passes defensed en route to a Pro Bowl selection. He anchors the back end of coverage, and the Jets injected big-time talent at the linebacker position with C.J. Mosley, a four-time Pro Bowler. New York then used the 2019 draft to select defensive tackle Quinnen Williams with the third overall pick.

Given the pieces now in place, don't discount the Jets' "win-now mentality."

source: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...al-adams-jets-embracing-winnow-type-mentality

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

This guy has to be a Jet for his entire career. He is too good on and off the field.

3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

<=== His stalker agrees (see creeper in background). ; ) I certainly do hope so, though. I was really disappointed when Aaron Glenn didn't retire a Jet even though he moved on to other teams, but I guess that neither here nor there.

Anyway, I don't know if this has been posted before (it probably has), but even if so, it deserves a re-do. I didn't know how to embed the gif. Sorry, folks; but so worth the watch.

https://i.imgur.com/J1smnS7.gifv

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I hope the Jets really do have a Win-Now Mentality. For many years the Jets have had more of a Win-How? Mentality.

6. jetophile

A/k/a how to blow it in epic fashion and lose 101. One of the only times that I've seen a win now strategy with a team I love work is when the NY Rangers won the Stanley Cup in '94. Messier, McTavish, Beukeboom, Tikkanen, Kocur, and everyone else they added for power band-aids and an amazing run clicked. Not to de-rail with hawkey tawk, but while I love Adams' attitude on it, I'm willing to be a little patient and accomplish it with the young'uns. When the Jets are truly on the cusp, plug and play away. The Jets have been re-building since I was 11. You know what that means? Four score and seven years ago . . .

The real "win now" for the Jets was '98, but I don't want to make anyone nauseous. And then '99 happened and Vinny . . . OK, I need a barf bucket.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  7. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Good. They have a QB on a rookie deal who seems like he could be the face of the franchise.

There is no more rebuilding, this is the time to win.

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yep. 99 was definitely Win-Now. Instead, instant fail Week 1. Classic Jets! Bad luck.

9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

As they should. They don't get too many years of a QB on a rookie contract that allows them to put as good a team around him as possible. Whether or not the Jets have done that, well, it's questionable.

10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I'd be happier with a 'win-now type of reality'

11. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I wonder if they still have that sign "Play like a Jet" hanging in the locker room. If so, they really ought to trash it. That's been the problem all these years. They've been playing like the Jets.

Jets81, Cman68, jetophile and 5 others like this.
  12. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

That team was ravaged with injuries throughout the year and they STILL finished 8-8.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  13. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The mentality doesn't mean anything if you don't actually win.

westiedog1 likes this.
  14. DefenseWinsChampionships

Natural born leader he is.

Fk Mahomes and x/y/z etc I'm thankful for Darnold/Adams back to back drafts.

Sam Darnold. Franchise QB. Face of our offense.

Jamal Adams. Generation Safety. Face of our defense.

Sam Darnold/Jamal Adams: Cornerstone/Blue Chip players. Wouldn't change it for the world outside of a SB.

15. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

As hard as I am on this team, Jamal Adams is one player I have nothing but good to say about. I'm convinced he's going to be a leader for this team for many years to come. He's also an ambassador of sorts. He's the kind of kid that everyone would probably enjoy playing with. As time goes on he could be the incentive for many players to come to the Jets that otherwise would not have gone. He'll raise the level of play of everyone around him as well. He has great leadership qualities. He's also a motivating factor.

HIS play has also not reached its peak? I figure he'll become a master thief. He'll make dynamic plays stripping the ball for fumble recoveries and intercepting passes. I can't day enough good about Jamal Adams.

16. NYJ1970

You've most certainly got a point. Mac is terrible at drafting overall, but at least he knows when a truly great player falls in his lap. I can't think of two better young ambassadors for the Jets. Make no mistake about it, it's going to get easier to attract great players to the Jets now that these two are on the team.

17. NYJ1970

Agreed. Sign me up for divorcing the Jets altogether if they somehow let Jamal and Sammy go.

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  18. jetophile

I hope he tackles Pat the Patriot again.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Dilly Dilly!!

20. jetophile

I thought Adams was turning 25 in October. He's only turning 24. Sweet.