Kelechi Osemele in Amazing Shape

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, May 5, 2019.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Call me crazy but, if some of you guys think getting in better shape , digesting healthier foods to make his energy level optimum is a concern, then you must want Bell to come in a little overweight on a high carb, high fat diet. Or is the concern just for OL. I think there is a perception that OL need to be big about all. Strength doesn't not equate to big or fat. Quickness and leverage trump brute force. I'm looking forward to see him in action.

2. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Not trying to be combative but for you to say this means you do not understand nutrition and human physiology

3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Power with a little zone mixed in. Maybe he will adjust to the skills of the current O line. Don't really know how flexible he tends to be.

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Healthline?

Of all sources... HEALTHLINE!?

Get more reputable source, and we may proceed with a discussion. nih.gov or JAMA would be a good start.

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

[
    He just Googled "keto diet bad for athletes" and posted the first article he found.

6. Early 80's

Early 80's Active Member

I knew months ago about Osemele doing the Keto diet in the offseason, but being a limited poster in TGG, I didn't need my sack handed to me. hahaha
    I believe Osemele will be a HUGE upgrade at LG over Carpenter. He is a multi year Pro Bowler and in the best shape of his life. With him being in his best shape ever, he very well may be suited as a pulling Guard etc.

Chuma Edoga was a nice pick in the 3rd. Guy was GREAT in pass protection in college. Not good... GREAT. He has the same measurables as Beachum. I fully expect Edoga to be the starting LT in 2020 and I'm hoping Osemele has a great 2019 and re-signs with the Jets on a 3-year deal to end his career here at 33. Left side of the line should be in great hands then. Also, having a Pro Bowler LG can only HELP a Center who may struggle at times.

I gladly welcome a fit, Osemele to the team!

K'OB likes this.
  7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Workout or no workout,,,Diet or no diet,,,,,training program or no training program -----> Im a firm believer in the Bigger WE are the harder THEY will fall. That said first we need the guy to actually be and stay healthy and then once he plays this argument will be settled. If he is under 300 and holds his own GREAT but if he's under 300 and gets pushed around and manhandled, then that answers that.

8. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Still looks fat.

CBG likes this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The Healthline article was based on this study and represents it fairly. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29619799

CONCLUSIONS:
    Short-term low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diets reduce exercise performance in activities that are heavily dependent on anaerobic energy systems. These findings have clear performance implications for athletes, especially for high-intensity, short duration activities and sports.

Anyway, there isn't much point in continuing this discussion. We'll have to see how the season plays out to know if Osemele's diet and weight loss work out.

#49 HomeoftheJets, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
  10. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

For all we know his plan was to drop the fat, get healthy and train hard.

When you're eating keto it isn't hard to put on weight. I'm sure he could add 15 lbs easily.

It's really difficult to train like an athlete at 330. That's just obese. DE's and DT's are getting quicker - not bigger. I love this for him and for our offense.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I'm a fat guy so obviously I'm no authority on this subject. But I always thought carbohydrates are where you get your energy. Seems like Osemele will be weak and lethargic by the 3rd quarter if all he eats is celery and chicken.

Get the man a meatball sub at halftime please

12. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

How many guards play at under 300 in the NFL?

Is it common?

13. Falco21

No it is not common and that's the problem. These guys are getting fatter and fatter year after year. The mindset is that the fatter you are, the more space you contain, therefore the better blocker you become. But while they get fatter and fatter, the defensive lineman and ends are getting quicker and quicker and coming out of college as FREAK athletes.

Im not even gonna mention the horrible health effects these guys have to deal with after playing football and even sometimes while playing. Their diets consist of ridiculously high calorie, carb, and sugar meals that are filled with processed food.

Here are the average sizes of offensive lineman oevr the years:

1970's 6'3" 255 lbs

1980's 6'4" 275 lbs

1990's 6'4" 300lbs

2000's 6'4" 315 lbs

2015 6'5" 315 lbs

It's crazy how fat they have become.

14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It is okay, the roids will counteract the diet :)

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  15. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

This could all be very much true.

Having said that, it doesnt guarantee that his size will lead to improved play. A lot of Raider fans thought his play fell off because he lost a bunch of weight.

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Seriously? Sixteen people, four days? This hardly qualifies as an anecdote, much less a study.

jilozzo likes this.
  17. Falco21

Oh of course not. I was never saying his weight loss will translate to a pro bowl season. I was simply posting the article to show how he's claiming to be in the "best shape of his life" and how he has lost a lot of weight where he claims to feel more comfortable and more agile

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Best guard in the league is 330. I don't think he will stay at 295, will probably add some more healthy pounds per say.

19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

There is evidence that the Keto diet is good for long endurance athletes and may be harmful for short burst athletes. The evidence is thin based on very small samples. Basically the guy is maintaining lean muscle mass and losing fat. I suspect carrying less weight will at the worst reduce the stress on joints and tendons and extend his career. The guy is not a blocking sled where weight is what's slowing down the defensive players
    16 men and 16 women. The study is probably not worth the paper it was written on.

20. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

id much prefer him at 310...

my dad went to dr atkins in the 1970s because he would faint or pass out. it was a nice placebo effect that mostly did its job and kept his underlying anxiety from being as bad as it was previously...