Darron Lee

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by legler82, May 1, 2019.

1. Im fine w keeping him or moving him..i get the sense hes worn out his welcome here behind the scenes..maybe NY isnt the best place for him personality wise.

That said..w or without him jets have pretty good ILB depth..so its a questoon of would we rather have a shiny back up coverage linebacker w starting experience or swap him for perhaps a similar level player at a pisition of need like Center,Corner or WR?

blackssmagic and Noam like this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

The New York Jets will not pick up the fifth-year option for 2020 on inside linebacker Darron Lee according to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News.

The 20th-overall pick in the 2016 draft out of Ohio State, Lee has not been a deifference-maker for the Jets but his play has progressed every season and he had 73 tackles and three interceptions in 12 games for the team in 2018. Unfortunately, he became redundant when the team broke open the vault for former Baltimore Ravens inside linebacker C.J. Mosley in March.

The Jets reportedly tried to trade Lee during the draft but found no takers, or at least found no takers that were willing to meet the team's asking price. Lee will likely remain on the trading block as teams enter training camp in July and it is hard to believe there will be no interest considering the linebacker's cheap salary ($1.9 million), his age (24), and the fact that he is coming off his best season as a pro. If they don't trade him this summer, the Jets could keep Lee as a valuable piece of depth.

3. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

No shit Manish. If they don't trade him the Jets could keep him as a valuable piece of depth. That's exactly the kind of insightful, thought provoking sports journalism you are known for bud.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If we could trade him for a player at a position of need (C, CB, WR, OG) who is around the same age and ability level, then I'd make that deal in a NY minute. I wouldn't trade him for a draft pick that was any lower than the 3rd round, however.

5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Lee is still a valuable peice in sub packages. In a pass happy league he should find himself playing at least 25 percent of the snaps.

Drafting Cashman is interesting as he has Lee's skill set and athleticism but hopefully a better attitude. The Jets rated Cashman as the best special teamer in the draft and that appears to be why he was drafted but it seems he may also have been drafted to take Lee's role when we play nickel. He might be a year away from that being ready for that role but it sure appears that Lee is on limited time.

blackssmagic likes this.
  6. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Rodgers isn't even qualified to be a position coach let alone a DC. Williams is a huge upgrade there. I hope you're right with Gase. I don't hate him but I haven't seen the "genius" label he's been given. His arrogance doesn't match his resume, I'd like to see some humility until he proves himself. Unsupported arrogance is typically a defense mechanism covering insecurity. Let's hope its not the case here.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Right on. He better put the past behind him and step up the gains. It's going to be wait and see with Gase for us. Agree with that. My fear is more along the lines of Gase and Williams butting heads over schemes particularly on defense. I think Gase has the smarts and tools to be successful, if his ego doesn't get in the way.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I just read it here too:

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2019/5/3/18528717/jets-decline-darron-lees-fifth-year-option

9. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Nearly 1/2 of that class, (14 of 31) first rounders did not have their option picked up. Actually 12, 1 traded and 1 released.
    Could MAC possibly swap Lee for Jack Conklin? Titans declined his option as well.

10. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Our best shot for a trade is with the Saints and the Eagles. NFC teams playing 4-3 D and within reach of the super bowl more willing to hand over a 4th rounder in 2020.

11. TonyFtLaud

Eagles just added Zach Brown and they only have 4 picks next year. Doubt they will be looking to trade for Lee, barring an injury, the Saints could be a good option.

12. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I read that they only declined it because they want him to prove his health before signing an extension.

So I doubt it.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  13. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

could not have said it better myself.....:cool:

14. TonyFtLaud

It's going to be a challenge for them to keep him . If he bounces back he will be looking at a big payday as a FA and the Titans are going to be in a tough spot vs the Cap next year. Several players due, $35 million cap space and no QB signed. If they decide to keep Mariota, they are going to be short cap space.

blackssmagic and NYJalltheway like this.
  15. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Eh. The Saints "4th" is more like a 5th rounder because theyre probably going to be drafting at the end of rounds.

16. TonyFtLaud

I was thinking more player than pick.

Quinnenthebeast likes this.
  17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If Gase is as smart as people say he is, he will not butt his head against Williams over defensive schemes. Gregg surely won't be chewing Gase out with how offensive schemes are in disarray either. They have different field of expertise. Smart man will acknowledge this fact and use it to his advantage. On the other hand...

18. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

I have hope Gase will do that. Williams seems a petty strong personality and I'm sure his expertise was also key in his appointment. It'd be stupid to appoint him and not to allow him to use his skills.

19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Zach if they are winning and hopefully they are, all will be good but even IF they are winning , Alpha male vs Alpha male usually aint a good mix, see Ditka and Buddy Ryan as even though they won they hated each other.

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well said. Agree 100%. To his defense (no pun intended) he went on record and said exactly that. He also will be consumed in making Sam successful and the Offense above par. I'm much looking forward to this preseason.

NYJetsO12 likes this.