Polite-william william anderson = best jets line ever?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Samuscdarnoldfollower, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

My favorite play was the one that started at 1:40. Tennessee has the ball at their own 40 and Polite keeps hustling and stays in the play. He ends up tackling the opposing player 25 yards down the field. I hope that he can do that in the NFL because if he can that will only mean good things for the Jets.
    J!-E!-T!-S! JETS! JETS! JETS!

PabloJa and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yeah...Greg Williams will put a stop to that nonsense.

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Thanks for this..no Josh Allen... still have no Center and shaky OL..but I am seeing QBs from the SEC go down and harassed by Polite!

Sleeper pick?? or head case??,,hoping for the best

4. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

This guy did a fantastic breakdown of what our front 7 would look like in the many schemes Williams likes to run. Just watching this gets me fired up and makes me wish it were September.

5. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Might signify more of a drafting issue than a board issue

CotcheryFan likes this.
  6. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

really?
    i go with the four guys who won a super bowl. 3 of the 4 picks that day were hastily caused heaves into the end zone/.
    the sack exchange comes in a close 2nd.
    until the record says otherwise , potential just means they have done nothing yet!

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Head case? Do you have any fact basis for that characterization?

8. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

You could make a case that the Jets should have traded their 5th to the Giants for Snacks leaving:

Leo - Snacks - Anderson in the middle

Draft Josh Allen in the 1st and still take Polite with their next pick for outside.

All 5 of these guys could be on the field at the same time and we’d have two guys who could rush the passer from the outside.

As it stands either Leo or Anderson will need to come off for Quinten. How much are we gaining??

Either that or someone will need to play out of position. None of these guys are the NT Snack is + we’ve seen this before (Leo, Wilkerson, Richardson)...

It doesn’t work!!!

CBG likes this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

All you have to do is Google "character issues and J Polite NFL " and you will see at least 3 articles describing his attitude problems: dropped out of Combine because of hamstring then complained to media about how some teams wer "bashing him" over some neg plays they saw on film. His interviews were also poor.

George Willis had an article in the NY Post saying Polite might not take his job seriously or show up on time. Polite also admitted to being "immature " and " regrets" saying what he did. If you don't like what he's saying in his column maybe you can write a Letter to the Editor of Post.

If you lined up 100 other rookies getting ready to get a big check from a Team that could draft them this is clearly not the way to behave. I know that your definition of Character has to do more with misdemeanors and felonies but understand there are also just plain old personality/attitude concerns

OTOH I sure hope he works out for us because the talent is there

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. SoylentGreen

The guy was projected as a mid-1st level talent, there’s a reason he fell. He got picked where did based on the risk (busting) vs reward (production).

He most likely either ends up a great player or out the league in a few years time.

Most times these guys don’t work out but worth taking a shot since the Jets are looking to win with holes all over the roster.

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Now go back and read beyond the headlines. This has been reviewed dozens of times here - there is no substance to any of it. No one is denying his combine performance was bad but no one can support with facts the idea that character issues exist.

K'OB likes this.
  12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Q is the nose tackle is he not?

13. SoylentGreen

I don’t think so. He’s about 20-30 lbs too light to optimally play NT in a 3-4. He’s smaller than McClendon who is considered undersized himself.

Not saying he can’t do it, just that it may not be the best way to use his talents.

14. DefenseWinsChampionships

You can def play both Leo and Q together. Williams as DC will become exotic with this duo within multiple D's and fronts.

Don't forget Leo is like top 3-5 in QB hits, he can get after the QB and thatst for sure and now he has more help in both Q & hopefully Polite. Don't be shocked to see Leonard Williams create some serious havoc against both the run and pressure/sacks.

And Quinnen just tied the NCAA DT/NT All-Time record for most QB pressures since started to keep track. He's going to be fierce out there for us. Alabama he was surrounded by A+ talent which is why I love this pick because we now have a lot of talent surrounding him with the likes of Leonard Williams, C.J Mosley and Jamal Adams.

Of course you can play both together all 3 downs they could be a match made in heaven too. He'll demand a lot of pressure at 3-4 NT for play makers to ball out he's way more dominant already than McClendon ever was we got stuck with Pittsburgh leftovers but this Q. Williams kid can be lined up all over the place on the D-Line with him and Leo playing all over the place and Mosley backing them up it's going to be fun I'm confident in it.

This isn't a Mo Sheldon young Leo D-Line. Mo quit on us and Sheldon was getting in trouble; stop comparing (not you directly) this D-Line has potential to become #1 Good Lord if Q and C.J make H. Anderson's job easier... Top notch potential here..

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Is Q undersized?

Jesus fucking Christ. What kind of fucking baloney is that? Q is not undersized to play NT.

That literally depends on the flavor of 3-4 we run, and last time I checked, Gregg Williams does NOT run F/B 3-4. [This was the trademark defense of Bill Parcells, and earlier part of the Patriots Dynasty with Vince Wilfork. The rationale is pretty simple, and understandable. Fairbank/Bullough 3-4 is not an attacking defense. It CAN be, if you can have LT coming off the edge, but in general, it's more of a contain defense. Gregg Williams will not sit back and react to the offense. That's not how to beat offenses in today's NFL anyway.]

Case in point: Phillips 3-4 needs a NT that can penetrate and create pressure on his own. (And this concept is inherited down to Gregg Williams later) For instance, Jeff Wright, from the Bills during their 4x SB run, was at 274 lbs. Not even 300. Was he a bad NT? Oh hell yeah. So bad that he helped this team reach the SB 4 times. 'Nuff said.

P.S. In that light, maybe Dslob gets a lot of bad rap because how he was always undersized and overpowered, but maybe, JUST MAYBE, that Manginius was to blame instead. He was trying to hammer Dslob into the anchor NT that Robertson just cannot perform. Seeing how he sent Vilma to the dog house, then traded away, I am inclined to believe that Mangini was the cause of Dslob's poor performance on the field more than anything. He was thoroughly inflexible with his approach to his schemes, and always tried to fit the square pegs into the round holes, when he should have realized what strength he has in his defense, and catered to that strength instead.

P.S.2. So we are back to the square one, and I am to believe that if the HC is a moron [exhibit 1: TODD BOWLES, exhibit 2: Eric Mangini] then that WILL make the GMs look bad.

#135 Zach, May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
  16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Joe Klecko was considered undersized at 6'3" 265 lbs.

Q Williams is 6'3" 300 lbs.

17. SoylentGreen

This article really hits home what I believe to be true:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/elites...nnen-williams-makes-little-sense-at-no-3/amp/

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I cannot say I agree with that article one bit.

If anything, he completely ignores that Quinnen Williams is just a 21-year old kid. He WILL grow in the next few years. Maybe he won't grow in inches, but will he stay at 295? Wanna bet on that? Does he take that into account? I don't think so.

19. DefenseWinsChampionships

Exactly not only that but the article is void. He kept using Darron Lee as an example. That article was premature as we now have C.J Mosley playing behind Quinnen and Leonard.

20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Yeah... Jets declined his 5th year option. There goes the entire analysis of *gulp!* "no use whatsoever."