Report: Jets GM Mike Maccagnan on the hot seat

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Apr 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I value your opinions and am not trying to needle you on the topic.
    If you were part of the typical 'fire everyone' crowd, maybe I would, but I don't get that sense.
    I understand the frustration, and it seems that's where a lot of these arguments are stemming.

I just don't think this particular argument holds water.
    You can literally play the 'should have drafted' game with every GM.
    What matters more is who you did draft. We were able to acquire the best QB prospect I've seen since Pennington pre-injuries in '02.
    We were also able to draft a very talented leader of the defense.

While I don't agree with all of Mac's moves, including some of this years draft selections, I've seen enough positives that I'd like to see this play out a little more.
    I'm incredibly happy with how we addressed the QB position.
    In terms of Mahomes... while he's proving to be a stud at this level, I wonder if he struggled a little here if the sames fans calling for Mac's head for passing on him, would be calling for Mac's head for drafting him as well.
    I don't think you can win with some fans either way.

2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Now then the team finished 0-16 but was it really 0-16 level talent, they had already drafted a few good ones in 16's draft with plenty still around in 18, in 17's draft they had 5 picks before pick 65, that is franchise changing and that is before he joined in December 17, they took Garret, Peppers, Njoku, Ogunjobi, who are all quality starters for them, they took Kizer and dumped him off to GB for Randall who is also a starter for them, not really 0-16 talent is it?

Nobody is saying Dorsey wasn't a good GM, again what I replied to you was he didn't come in and have to burn it down, it was all ready to go for him from the off and he has done the job very well so far and fair play to him.

Is he really a fair comparison for Mac? I don't think so at all.

I didn't say he didn't deserve credit for the work he has done, just that it was all set to go for him from the off, the other poster claiming he came in and burnt it down and rebuilt it is flat out wrong, he fine tuned a machine that was just about ready to roar and has done that very well, how well we are about to find out.

Again a couple of seasons back I was lambasted for wanting 0-16 a couple of times for the Jets to get a good stock of nice draft picks but was told it was fucking stupid and take a look at the Browns, well here we are looking at the Browns.

I also understand that people don't want zero wins but 2-3 seasons of pain added to an already large amount of shit seasons would have made little difference to me and then we might have been ready to go 20/21ish?

It didn't happen that way so we go with what we can now, we have some good young players and we just need the fine tuning part, whether Mac is the guy to do it is open to debate but I just try to keep it honest :)

#742 K'OB, May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Hahahaha

Always the h before the a, I am amazed how many times you ah, ah, ah at folk, then again I am presuming it is laughter you are trying to convey and not surprise, pleasure, sympathy or realization?

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

None of us was calling for Mac’s head for Darnold’s struggles why would we do the same for Mahomes. That point is disingenuous IMO.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

If that's the only point in my post you disagree with, I'll accept that :cool:

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I didn’t agree with most of it but the rest was you stating your opinion so there’s not much to argue. You are happy with Macc so I’m happy for you.

7. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

sure are alot of gase fanboys on the site these days. that guy is an abortion. you will hate him within 2 years. guaranteed, horrible hire.

8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Mr Cat I pray you are wrong but I fear you are correct. Only the Jets would hire someone elses castoff that no one wanted, maybe he proves us wrong but Im not holding my breath.

alleycat9 and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I wanted Mike M but at least the hire is someone with HC experience and he knows how to beat NE. He's won me over with his quirky IQ too

Gase has gone from the sh&thouse to the Penthouse in terms of personnel , and I suspect Mac fills out the OL with more band aids before Game 1

If you can't have a winning Season now well.........

CBG likes this.
  10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What the hell is a "quirky IQ?"

11. DefenseWinsChampionships

I hated the signing myself at first. I supported Bowles because I'm a defensive minded fan but I'm embracing this change.

We finally have a Franchise QB in Sam Darnold and if nothing else, the kid QB deserves an offensive minded head coach at the helm.

12. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

The Kid and rest of the team and US ,deserve an offensive line

alleycat9 likes this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think he has a shot here with the Jets. His play-calling at times has come into question, BUT he took a team that was below average in total & scoring defense and offense to 10-6. Then took a bottom 5 team in talent and in total/scoring defense and offense to 7-9. I think he can coach, but there are some things I hoped he changed from his tenure in Miami (EDIT - holy horrible sentence)

#753 101GangGreen101, May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
    alleycat9 likes this.
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Something Todd Bowles never had

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

That may be the only positive expressed about Bowles here in a year.

16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Maholmes aside, what if I were to say Mac should have drafted more OL over the past 5 years? Or used a few higher round picks on OL?

Is it reasonable to think that if Mac had invested more in OL during his tenure we might not have as many questions on the OL at this point?

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Bruce Arians wasn't coming here. He was the best option this offseason if you wanted a quality offensive minded head coach with experience.

alleycat9 and Jets81 like this.
  18. That said,wouldnt we just have holes at other positions people would be bitching about?

Im not arguing OLs importance(though people on here overestimate it drastically) nor am i in agreement w macs vision..but are people angry about the OL or are they angry the team still has holes?

19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Little bit of both. I think missing on a lot of mid and late round draft picks compounds the frustration. Nobody can explain that away. Additionally, I don’t think we’re overestimating the value of OL. We saw what happens when your OL is below average last year. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that’s as our OL has deteriorated the teams performance as a whole has gotten worse.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

what blows my mind is the glaring weakness at the Cornerback position.

I don't believe there is a single position that MacCagnan has invested more resources towards than CB either through high priced Free Agents (Revis, Skrine, Tru Johnson, etc.) or draft picks (5 selections in 5 years) and yet corner is STILL this team's biggest weakness. SMH. But everyone talks about center instead of that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.