2019-2020 New York Islanders thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by CBG, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

336 its not over yet but it might as well be congrats and good luck the rest of the way. As far as us Islander fans it was one hell of a fun season and ride. We lost our best player and NO ONE gave us a chance when the season began. They hung tough and made the season beyond enjoyable. I am not happy with how it is ending but neither are Lou and Trotz so be sure that they will make the necessary changes. If this team is to go to the next level and compete changes HAVE TO be made and Im confident they will be. It was a fun season and next year expectations will be higher and I don't think this the organization and team will disappoint. Heads up Isles fans we are relevant again and we will be around for a while.

2. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Barzal.... that was pathetic, as he was completely outmuscled...

3. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Not truly regretting it but I let my kids go to the game with tickets I scored and enjoyed this one with a few Moscow Mules at home.

One note of positive Isles fans - Barzal is freaking amazing - you have got a stud with that one.

Hope you guys realize we are lot like you guys - crappy owner and management for years - and long suffering. Maybe you can pull for us.

4 playoffs since 2002 - but all 4 ECF or beyond. Freaking Marlins of the NHL.

stinkyB, The Dark Knight and JetBlue like this.
  4. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I was typing my Barzal is a stud comment when that play happens - 1 play does not change my opinion though,truly the only guy that legitimately scary witht he puck.

JetBlue and Red Menace like this.
  5. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Nelson scores.... another example why you have to shoot more instead of the endless pass, pass, pass, hoping to get that wide open net look. As for Barzal, he's been pretty disappointing. Most teams have figured out how to get him off his game. 1). they know he is going to pass 2). get physical with him

6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Petro ,,,I disagree. Barzal has absolutely no one to play with. It sucks right now but watch what happens when they give this kid a winger next year. IMO he played as well as could be expected and he scored a gal and could of had 2, he can't do it all by himself. This team over achieved all year they were very limited in talent and ran into a better version of themselves in the Hurricanes. Moves will be made and a player or 2 will be brought up and the team will look different and be even more competitive next year, we have lots to loo forward to brother.

stinkyB, Red Menace and JetBlue like this.
  7. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Tonight was disappointing as it sucks to lose especially when its the end of the season. There is a lot to be positive about as it was a great year overall. 48 wins, 103 points, playoffs, sweeping Cindy and company. But as this series against the Canes showed the Isles are still a work in progress. It will be an interesting offseason to see what Lou does. The future is bright for the Isles with Lou and Barry. LGI.

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

That was jus turbil!

Imma gonna go eat some pancakes :(

CBG likes this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Great season, Islanders fans. The future is bright for the Isles. The Metro is going to be difficult from top to bottom in 2019-20!

Section 336, CBG and matt robinson 17 like this.
  10. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

@CBG @Red Menace I'm sure you don't feel it now, but you should be proud of the Isles accomplishments this year. I'm sure they exceeded your expectations especially after Taveres left, shrewd move getting a great coach. The future is bright.

The Dark Knight, CBG and Red Menace like this.
  11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I’m very proud of this team, I knew what their shortcoming were and figured they would come back to bite them.

More importantly I’m happy Trotz and Lou are running the show, I'm confident they will make the necessary changes to get this team beyond the second round.

LGI

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I hope we keep Lee, and I’d be shocked if we let Nelson go. I wouldn’t be surprised if both gave hometown discounts to stay and build upon this year. I’d only keep Eberle for a good deal but I wouldn’t pay him $6 mil.

The break the bank player I’d like to have is Erik Karlsson, but if not him Panarin. Panarin probably makes more sense but I’ve always liked offensive defensemen so it’s just my bias.

Duchesne also would make sense but there’s just been too much garbage around him and I think the Jackets pay him whatever it takes to keep him.

Kevin Hayes would make a lot of sense for us and Jeff Skinner would be a good plan B after Panarin. I’d rather let Eberle go and use that money towards them.

Then it’s just a matter of whether any of Wahlstrom, Dobson and Bellows are ready to take the step to the NHL. And if Sorokin finally decides to come over we can let Lehner walk.

13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Matt , absolutely !!! I knew the team was limited talent wise and was playing with house money. It was a great year and we have the right
    Blue ----I will say it again = I would let Lee walk he is NOT worth the money. He was invisible in these playoffs and there are other guys with better skill sets I would rather throw money at. Hell I hate Duchene but he fills a need and would rather throw the money at him. Again we won't be able to sign all our guys back and still spend on FA ,,,THE MONEY JUST WONT BE THERE. I would rather sign Lehner and lock up Barzal NOW long term and add to this team. I like Eberle but I would not pay him either and I absolutely despise Nelson but we can move him back to wing and hopefully sign him cheap but who knows some fool might throw a lot of money at him. This team needs many things one is to improve the top 6 and signing a winger to play with Barzal is one need and another is a 2nd line center so Nelson can move to Wing or be gone. After that our bottom 6 just blows and I hate to say it I love Martin but how much is he making ? Cizikas was invisable maybe he was hurt and I know Leo killed us last night but it appears we are stuck with him for 2 more maybe 3 yrs Im not sure-----ranting here as Im exhausted its been a long day and I still need to run out to bet horses ,,,,,,,catch you later all

14. Red Menace

Lee has to be kept, other than him, it’s no big loss, the last six weeks of the season no one was a huge offensive difference maker.

Panarin needs to be signed, Isles need someone other than Barzal who teams have to focus on.

Out of the three guy you mentioned with Soundtigers, Walhstrom is one season away from playing in the NHL, I was able to see him play and he needs a little more experience so game can slow down a bit, his offensive instincts are excellent though.

JetBlue and CBG like this.
  15. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I am going to continue to disagree with you guys about Lee ----IF IT WERE me I am not paying him 5.5 or 6 million no way no how. I like him but I say buh bye and again I WOULD have traded him at the deadline. Koivula and Bellows ? Either one of them ready Menace ? It will be an interesting off season but In Lou I trust as he has watched these guys for a year and he has had plenty of time to evaluate.Top line winger and 2nd line center are priorities just a matter of who we can get. I effing hate Duchene but would take him . Granlund anyone ? I would love Pannarin but I would be shocked if he came here as there are so many other places he probably would rather be.

16. Red Menace

Lee is a power forward that has given Isles 30 goals a year, he is a big body that can stand in front of the net and occupies a center or defenseman, I would rather give him 5 million a year than Bailey, Eberle or Brock that money.

They need an all star second line center and RW that can produce and take focus off Barzal and Lee.

Neither of the guys you mentioned are near ready and if they ever play in NHL it will not be as top line players.

Ho-Sang will not be an Islander for too long either, horrendous attitude and pouts like a 2 year old child, body language is terrible on the ice, tried to do too much on his own every time he touched the puck.

CBG likes this.
  17. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Menace , I agree and am not asking them to be top line player but I have read A LOT of good things especially about Kovula but I stray. There are just too many things about LEE that I do not like,,,,,yes he goes in front of the net, IN FACT that is where most if not all his goals come from but the guy does not ( IMO ) have a good shot ( at all ) and he is ( IMO ) a terrible skater. Add this to his disappearing act in the playoffs and Im kicking myself that we did not trade him at the deadline as I really believe someone will offer him 6 million or more and I hope its NOT us. I hate Nelson and wish he would play stronger but they might have to sign this guy out of desperation. I hate Bailey also but thats old news. If Eberle can be signed cheap I would keep him but I don't think Trotz feels he fits his system , just look at the ice time they gave Eberle . We will see how this plays out but I will say it again IF this team gets an overhaul so be but if they sign a few of our guys there won't be a ton of money to spend on FA and keep in mind that they need to sign ( and I hope they do ) Lehner also so thats more money $pent.

18. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Here is someone I could see the Isles target if he doesn't resign with the Sharks is Joe Pavelski who will be an UFA after this season. He is 34 but he is still a highly skilled player who can produce. His last 5 seasons went like this
    37-37 - 70 points, 38-40 - 78 points, 29-39 - 68 points, 22-44 - 66 points and this year 38-26 - 64 points. He is also good on the PP with 12 goals and 21 points this season. I would have no problem if the Isles gave big money but term could be an issue. At 34 I wouldn't want to go past 3 years.

Red Menace likes this.
  19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I did not want to lose to the Canes but I will say it = I am glad we did not face the Bruins. They scared me all year and they are on the verge of sweeping the Canes. UGH I hate Boston teams

JetBlue likes this.
  20. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Great season 336,,,,these damn Bruins are good. I would have loved to have advanced but The Bruins would have crushed us

Red Menace likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.