2019-2020 New York Islanders thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by CBG, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Petro,,u are correct = I saw Barzal give the puck away in the offensive zone and he went to a knee and he literally watched the play go back the other way and did NOT hustle back to catch up with the play = VERY ALARMING and that was one of many plays that stood out in my mind.

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

That's about the time the graphic went up on the screen that the Islanders had gone twelve minutes without a shot on goal. You're playing against a backup goalie who had never started a playoff game in fifteen years and you don't shoot? Very Un-Trotzlike. The should have peppered him with at least fifty shots and charged for the rebound; I don't think he handled more than five cleanly but still no second shots.

CBG likes this.
  3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Ralebird I agree , unlike game 2 where he controlled everything , last night he gave up oceans of rebounds . Its one game at a time now or go home !

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

ehhh.... I WISH I could say I'm confident about them turning it around, but given the way they finished the game last night.... They may take 1, but that's about it. Hope I'm wrong.

Too many beers for a wednesday too :confused:

The Dark Knight, jilozzo and CBG like this.
  5. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

wow. think the 2 consecutive 1 goal defeats at "home" kind of lingered last night. do think it will be a sweep by the canes.

no worries folks - its pretty clear that offense, in particular the wings, needs to be upgraded. geez even a small dash of offense going into next year and they will certainly get further next postseason.

6. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Lou has a ton of work to do. He has to resign Lee, Nelson, Eberle who are three of the team's best offensive players and then add to it because keeping the status quo isn't good enough. Can we get Duchene and or Panarin? Lehner needs to resigned and I think he will. You can tell he loves playing here as not only has he been successful but the support he has gotten here has helped him turn his life around. He also mentions Isles fans as being the best as well as the atmosphere playing at Nassau.

7. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Panarin just scored another one. The Isles have to try to get him.

8. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

It's been that way pretty much all season. The two on one when Barzal had the puck was a perfect example. Everyone in the building, including the defender, knew that Barzal was going to pass, as he does 99% of the time....

Ralebird likes this.
  9. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Heres my 2 cents,,,,,Let Lee walk = he is NOT worth the money he will command and want. I like the guy but it pains me to say it let him walk, I would have traded him at the deadline but I get the entire argument on why we did not . It also pains me to say they might have to resign Nelson and move him to his proper position on the wing ps they will also have to OVERPAY Nelson which blows --->I would rather NOT sign him but I think we will be desperate and HAVE TO because guys are not lining up to play here also in all fairness he had a decent year playing center but the guy is a winger. I don't think any of the BIG name guys will want to come here, the first round win was nice but the arena fiasco will keep guys away. Keep in mind if you sign Lee and Nelson and then also Lehner how much money do you think will be left ? IMO not much. Koivulla will be ready next year and hopefully Lou can go get some good 2nd tier guys but we are not going to sign Duchene or Panarin thats just my opinion but we will see how it plays out. Now lets win game 4 !

10. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

The problem with letting Lee walk is the Isles offense gets weaker and it is pretty weak as is. I will admit I don't know what the FA class looks like except the big fish are Duchene and Panarin. What I would like to see the Isles do is resign Lee, Eberle, Nelson and then add to it. I think Panarin goes to Fla or NYR. I do think the Isles have a shot at Duchene. He would fit nicely as a 2C behind Barzal. Another guy to try and get is Jeff Skinner(I believe he is also a FA) from the Sabres. He is a good goal scorer usually nets around 25-30 goals a year. If the Isles could resign their own and add Duchene and Skinner I would consider that a good offseason. Also need to resign Lehner as that is a top priority as well.

CBG likes this.
  11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Greg ,,,Skinner is exactly one of the 2nd tier guys I was thinking of. Again IF we sign all our guys there not much left for anyone else. I absolute am ALL OUT on Duchene I do not want him !!!!!!!! We are desperate for a 2nd line Center and Barzal needs someone to play with on his Wing.I have always liked Eberle and If they can sign him cheap and add offense IM ALL IN. The team needs some serious tinkering on offense, DAMN our Powerless Play--> also as soon as the season is over FIRE Gomez ass. Losing Boychuk has REALLY HURT US , that said WIN GAME 4 !

12. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Lou is going to have to free up some salary. It would be great if he could unload Ladd but I doubt anyone takes that contract. I wouldn't be surprised if Leddy is traded especially if another one of our young D corps (Aho) is ready to come up and join the core of (Pelech, Pulock, Towes). Bottom line Lou needs to add to what we have on offense. Trotz is the best coach in hockey as 48 wins, 103 points , a 1st Rd sweep of the Pens proves but the roster needs to be upgraded for the Isles to take the next step. Lou needs to have a good offseason and then next year could be something special. With that said win tonight and get it to game 5. I just saw the stats that Lehner is 0-7 lifetime against the Canes while Greiss owns them. Andrew Gross(Newsday) is hinting it might be the Greiss show tonight. No fault of Lehner as he has been good but it might be good to change it up. Also Greiss has been just a solid this year and he does seem to have the Canes number as he was in net the three times the Isles beat them this year including both in Carolina.

jilozzo likes this.
  13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I had flirted with Greiss and was aware that he owns them that said LEHNER is NOT the reason we are losing --The team must score goals , hell score 3 goals and we win tonight even with Brook in net ----> that said after rethinking it I AM NOT starting Greiss when he has not played in a month it just is NOT the move in my opinion. Score some damn goals Maybe bring up Dal Colle and please for the love of god get Hickey OUT of the lineup = I would rather see anyone else out there even Sbisa or Aho but I fear Trotz stays with Hickey = thats a mistake. PS the team is giving the puck away constantly so would it hurt to have Ho Sang in the lineup ? They must hate this guy we are never seeing him on the ice again

14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I hope Hickey scores a damn goal and proves me wrong------win the damn game = LETS GO ISLANDERS!!!

15. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Here we go.....

CBG likes this.
  16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Power Play NOW or Never

17. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

same circus again... pass, pass, pass

18. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member