Report: Jets GM Mike Maccagnan on the hot seat

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Apr 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

As always Kurt. you make a lot of good points, but I would point out to the disconnect between the points I bolded. If it's okay to add two new faces next year to the OL, why not this year? There always seems to be justification for not taking OL with premium picks, but there's always "good reasons" to keep stacking the "D" that hasn't won a championship yet.

At this point all I can hope for is that the OL works out to its best case, and the CS makes a real difference - in a positive way. I continue to be baffled by Macc's "strategy" whatever it is.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We'll just have to respectfully agree to disagree. No disrepect meant, but I obviously have different standards/expectations than you do. IMO the most important aspect of a GM's job is the draft, and with Mac's sorry record in the draft, he doesn't deserve to still be employed.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Technically there are 2 new starters along the OL if you include Harrison and/or them finding an upgrade via FA or trade.

What im saying is that when you are constructing an OL around a young QB you want to do it in waves & w.o too much inexperience all at once. Cohesion & assignments are half the battle at OL..if you bring in 5 new starters all at once even if theyre vastly more talented they will take time to gel & theres perils associated w that. Young Inexperienced OL is the same deal.Maybe 1 rookie a year is ideal,but too much at once no matter how talented could get Sam killed.

Ideally we’re only replacing 2 OL next offseason..1 FA & 1 rookie. Shell/Harrison step up in a big way and/or Udoga is ready to fill in a vacant spot..granted hed be inexperienced too but will have a yr of development under his belt,exposure to Gase’s scheme & will have worked with the other OL already in place.

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Polite doesn't have character issues. He fell in the draft because he was fat, slow and thought he was interviewing for a job in the cafateria.

A- tops.

All Gas No Shake, FJF, Jets81 and 5 others like this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Please don't feel that you were alone in your pre draft assessment of Mahomes...I remember the video of him chucking a football half the field ...while kneeling!

A vocal minority of myself Contrails Kurt NC and a few others were sold on the guy our GM didn't covet

I will never forget that night that Andy Reid made the trade and hustled to get him for KC...sigh

#605 NYJetsO12, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

It just occurred to me that when you have 2 Owners that never had to work a day in their lives they have absolutely no clue how to evaluate a Managers job performance...

Remember the "search committee " of Cassely and Wolf??

It won't matter if Macagnan is here another 5 years till a different bunch of advisors tells them he's had it

Perhaps they are only now , this past offseason going forward, are they demanding more from measly Mike

No sense of urgency from the Johnsons ...that's part of the problem

Jets81 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Precisely my point - Polite certainly had combine issues but the so-called "baggage" of "character issues" was a phantom - they did not and do not exist. While it was not surprising to see them repeated here (mostly for denigrating his pick and the guy who made it) it has been surprising to see how many "professional" writers and analysts also repeated them. If all that nonsense made it easier for the Jets to land him I'm fine with that. As far as his future contribution, as Bart Scott said "Can't wait!" And Scott appears to approve of this message if you saw the clip of his comments regarding Polite.

FJF likes this.
  8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I think I remember something about Polite being accused of faking an injury like a hamstring issue, or something... I don't think he worked out much or didn't have the best workout & blamed it on that , although I could be wrong?
    No matter what the issue I can't fault Mac with taking this kid at that slot as he was rated a 1st round talent leading into the combine.
    Just like you have to be skeptical of these guys rising @ the combine with their workouts , you have to do the same with talented players bombing that process... I'll let the dude's play on tape be the deciding factor that carries the most weight.
    I personally feel this kid is going to be a breakout player for us & one of the steals of the draft.

9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He said he was advised to put on 20lb to look bigger but it backfired by making him fat and slow and contributed to a hamstring tweak, it seems or sounds like he lost his temper in an interview at the line of questioning being given, if the guy that was defending him on NFL.com is to be believed.

I can't wait to see him fully tuned up and raring to flatten opposing QB's, a 1st round talent in the 3rd round, what isn't to like about that?

RPOZ51, Red Menace and Jersey Joe 67 like this.
  10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I’m cautiously optimistic about Polite. I think some take issue with having to be cautious about it. I get that.

11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

no doubt - he is the modern day version of marino. plenty of teams skipped over marino in 83 and plenty of teams 30 plus years later were not sold on mahomes.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Re Polite, he failed the combine that’s it. No off field issues, no character concerns. He just was not good at the combine . I just checked the schedule and we do not have the combine on it.
    He’s going to be fine

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I predict he will win MVP on the biggest loser in 2020.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Let’s hope, otherwise we just got a fattie with “Upside”.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I think your way overestimating next year's available cap space. We won't have $100 million. Closer to 1/2 that with a couple players eligible for extensions.

16. TonyFtLaud

I'll refresh your memory, I posted the video of Mahomes throwing from his knees.
    No one wanted him at 6 with the exception of Big Cat who while not as vocal since, was adamant prior to the draft that he was the best QB and worth the pick. Even CC and I wanted Mahomes in a trade back scenario or round 2.
    You wanted OJ Howard or Ramcyck, and NC was totally against Mahomes saying it would be stupid to have 3 project QBs on the roster, felt he was a 3rd or 4th rounder and he was high on Petty based on the prior preseason.
    Most wanted Fournette , Adams or OJ Howard at 6

#616 TonyFtLaud, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 3, 2019
  17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I have been 50/50 regarding Maccagnan's tenure so far, but I am getting concerned.

Up until last year, you could blame that on Bowles being completely clueless. [He is the coach after all. Player improvement falls in his responsibility. AND he sucked at his job. HARD.]

We will see how the draftees respond this year and on. Maybe some input from the coaching staff will improve his drafting record. [By now we all know Bowles never gave half a shit to Mac about what kind of player HE wanted.]

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Not to be picky, but I only wanted the trade back route for Mahomes because I knew Macc would NEVER take him at 6, but in fact I felt he was worth the #6 pick and thought Macc was an idiot for not wanting him (and still do). Not taking Mahomes may well be a franchise-altering mistake, akin to taking O'Brien instead of Marino.

TonyFtLaud and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You are wrong, totally wrong about where I stood. I loved Mahomes, but knew that Mac loved Hack, and that he would never take Mahomes, so I put it out of my mind as a possibility.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. TonyFtLaud

Your account must have been hacked back in 17

I remember simply because I was fairly new to the board and you responded to one of my post from a conversation with CC telling me how stupid I was for suggesting taking Mahomes when we had Petty, who played well last preseason and Hack who we hadn't seen play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.