Center: Linsley or Elfein

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

Couldn’t agree more. Any C we get at this point is only going to be a modest upgrade as it is. Without time to gel that modest upgrade could take 1/4 of the season to come together. Meanwhile, Darnold is getting pounded like a sex doll.

Frankly, that is my greatest fear about Darnold: he may well be a good, or even great, QB but we may never know because he’ll be pummeled and ruined. Can’t recall his name right now, but that Texans QB some years ago who seemed talented until his brains were smashed into the turf with dozens and dozens of sacks, hits, and hurries. Dude was utterly ruined. Damn, why can’t I remember his name?

2. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Good point. Looking at all the 2018 starting Centers, I have a real hard time ranking Morse higher than about 20th--and that's probably generous. If 16th is average, I'd have to revise my rating to C-. I previously rated him B+ because I don't think he's a bad player, he's certainly qualified to start in this league. There are probably 5 teams (including the Bills) where he could walk in and be the unquestioned starter, and another 5-7 where he would be in close competition with the incumbent. That leaves about 20 where he would be a backup. That's back-of-the-envelope figuring, not taking in to account scheme fit, age differences, QB mobility, and all the other....

He's not worth anything close to what he's being paid, though.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

David Carr

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Its absurd that Mac makes the boldest move of his not so glorious career to trade up and get a FQB for the Jets, only to have him ending up like D Carr and eating turf

There wont be any points on the board but that front 4 D will solid ..?

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

got a LONG way to go if you think Darnold's getting David Carr'd. It really has no basis in reality....

Darnold was sacked 30 times in 13 games, the 19th most sacked QB, and some of those were his fault, although I will say he also limited that number himself as avoiding sacks is a strength of his, so it evens out. DeShaun Watson was the most sacked QB last season at 65, more than double the amount Darnold was sacked.
    https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/passing-plays-sacked

David Carr set the all time record, sacked 76 times in 2002.
    https://www.sbnation.com/2018/6/29/...-season-record-houston-texans-poor-poor-david

the way Darnold plays, I don't think he will ever be sacked more than 40 times in a season...

Pags2112 and Mr mittens like this.
  6. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

egelband likes this.
  7. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

The way I see it, Mac will have to address the center position and rest of the offensive line by next season (should he last that long) or there will be a mutiny. In listening to nearly all his interviews he is getting asked about the center position in particular so he has got to know this is on everyone's mind. Since we improved in other areas, going into next season we basically need a cornerback, a WR1, and basically all offensive line positions could be upgraded. We finally have a focused list of needs rather than just needing to improve everywhere. I am hoping Gase is an influence on Mac this year as he will likely have input on where these scouts focus on from the beginning of the college season.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

While your theory makes sense the devil’s advocate in me will remind you that Mac’s drafts have revolved around the best available player in the first round followed by a lot of boom or bust prospects.

I’m still trying to recover from this past draft. I watched Mac pass on - in my opinion -a lot of day one starters to find diamonds in the rough. I realize the scouting dept. has a lot more information than us average fans but this OL has needed a face lift for quite a while now. I know the Jets have had needs everywhere . My fear is some of these picks like Polite and Eboga do not pan out and then the Jets are left with re-drafting these same areas next year .

So in theory you are correct in regards to the OL facelift next season but with Mac you just never can tell.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

You may be right but this OL needs a facelift once and for all. Mac has string it with band aids while trying to improve other areas. I can understand that to a degree and I have commented on many posts in the regard. However time is running a little short. Mac and the Jets have been lucky so far - Darnold is unscathed . One of these years with a band-aid OL that will come crashing down.

With the contracts of Beechum, Shell, and Winters expiring next season , along with a back-up manning the center position I am expecting wholesale changes on the OL for 2020. Shell may be back but a franchise LT is sorely needed......

NCJetsfan and CotcheryFan like this.