Status of The Team and Jets Fans

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

They went OT and got a blocking tight end in the draft. I get it, we don't have a center, but lets see how the rest of the offseason shakes out.

2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I’m talking about the entire offseason. The draft grades have been pretty similar. I liked the Bills draft, I also liked the Jets draft. It’s easier to say Bills draft looks better because they had the extra high 2nd rounder, in which there was a ton of talent available. One of the reasons I wanted the Jets to trade down so bad was for that extra 2nd rounder which I knew would have a ton of talent available. I thought Macs trade up for the QB last year was brilliant and probably his best move overall as a GM so I can’t complain about not having a 2nd this year. Most think he checkmated the Bills with that move who were also looking to get that pick.

When looking at FA. The Jets signed the two best FAs available, traded for the best OL that changed teams this offseason and signed what many believe was the best slot WR available. I just don’t see how the Bills offseason compares. They signed Morse, John Brown and then a bunch of JAG type OL.

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Eli has played behind a bottom 5 o-line for the past 5 years and never missed a game. lets not get all crazy. lots of QBs have shitty protection. the o-line talent in the NFL is currently way worse then the Defensive front 7 talent in the NFL overall.

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Here’s my problem with Waddle. The Patriots didn’t think he was good enough to replace Solder, they had to bring in someone off the scrap heap in Trent Brown for that. Then they let him walk instead of letting him replace Trent Brown after he left in FA. Now I’m supposed to believe he’s anything more than a JAG back up type for the Bills?

Nsekhe I do think was a solid depth signing but am I supposed to believe at 33 years old he can come in a be a solid starting OLineman for 16 games for the first time in his career? I’ll have to see that to believe it.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

They took a chance on a "T" in the 3rd round and another chance on a big TE - didn't show any urgency or priority like he does for "D" picks. I hope they both work out - they almost have to in order to give Sam a chance. And I think Wesco may be a big factor in the offense both as an additional OL/blocker and receiver.

My point is that Macc is taking a big gamble on not maximizing the protection for the most important player on the team. That's not "sky is falling", it's common sense.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Macc's very first move in the new league year was to trade for a Pro Bowl Guard... I'd say that's an example of urgency

Attackett likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

Well a former Pro Bowl Guard coming off an injury filled season. I'm not going to knock the signing, but it doesn't prove Macc has any urgency to upgrade the OL in light of the rest of FA and the draft and his historical record.

NYJetsO12, JetsNation06 and tomdeb like this.
  8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

imbalanced roster is right. Way too many on defense, not enough help on offense

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

thats why we got him in the 3rd rounder. I too wish we had picked one of the "can;t miss" 3rd rounders. Oh wait

10. GasedAndConfused

spoiler alert, every pats o-lineman is overrated because of brady and the scheme. I'd never want to sign a pats o-lineman. the giants paid out the ass for solder who was worse then bechum. they traded a 7th for brown from the niners who wasn't good enough for the niners, then he left and got a ton of money from oakland and i don't expect him to be better then kolton was for them. it's a lot easier to play o-line when your QB gets rid of the ball in 3 seconds or less. none of the pats o-lineman who left have ever earned their contract and any replacement they get is never a drop off in production.

11. GasedAndConfused

he also took a OT in the 3rd. there was none worth taking at 3 overall we both know that and we didn't have a 2nd rounder. he tried to sign paradis as well. not sure what else people want. he took the BPA 3 overall instead of reaching for someone who wasn't worth being taken there and then spent his next 2 picks on our 2 biggest needs (edge and o-line) then used the next pick to get a blocking TE to help the o-line. He also as you said traded for a probowl G to start the offseason. I'd say that's urgent

1) trade for OG
    2) try and sign C
    3) draft OT in the 3rd round
    4) draft blocking TE in the 4th round

I think making a trade, going after 1, then using 2 of your 1st 4 picks to help the o-line is urgent and effort. he had no urgency to upgrade CB. he didn't bring any in really, signed 1 guy on a cheap deal to play nickel, and waiting until the 6th round to draft one.

12. ColoradoContrails

You and I differ on value of the guys added. We have to take his word for the report that he tried to trade down - I'd like to see what he was offered before I agreed he did the right thing. Adding premium talent to the OL was more important IMO than upgrading a defense that is supposedly loaded with "best players available" guys. If he had a 2nd rounder I could see him being a little more demanding for what he would get in return for trading back, but since he didn't have one I think he needed to be more flexible. But as I said, we don't know what he was really offered.

I'll say this: IF Polite and Enoga work out I'll eat crow, and I hope I do because I just want the team to get better. But I just don't have faith in Macc's approach.

NYJetsO12 and tomdeb like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

we'll never know what he was offered and TBF if Q turns into the next aaron donald then nothing would be worth sliding down for a lesser talent that plugs a hole. I think the one thing about fans is we feel entitled to say we know best but really lack the info given. no way yourself or myself can say he did the right thing or not we'll never have enough info to do so and even if we had the info it's still an opinion of ours. it really just comes down to whether you trust mac or not to build this team. that is all it is. If you don't, that's fine you are entitled to your opinion at this point I do trust mac. we are only in year 3 of a complete rebuild now. it took the rams and les snead (who is arguably the best GM in the NFL currently) 6 years to rebuild and get to a SB (whcih the lost) I'm not concerned about a hole on the roster, ever roster has holes, that's the NFL and the salary cap compared to the NBA or MLB. it's the way it's supposed to be for parity. If we aren't in the playoffs by 2021 then i'll lose my trust in mac.

as far as polite and enoga go, we won't know for a few years but i've been meaning to make a post about polite. I think he can be the steal of the draft and i think he will be a better edge guy then at least a couple of the ones taken in the 1st round 3 years from now

14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Your argument for DL Williams (vs. moving down and considering the OL and other positions) would be better if MacCag had not used three picks LAST year on DL as well. Like the way he used FOUR draft picks in 2017 on DBs. A complete team he does not assemble. He gets fixed on one position/area, and this year it was defense. I also do not think trying to sign a center (and failing) is as major an accomplishment as you. Once he failed to sign a center in free agency, he should have moved down in the draft to get a damn good one--he could have worked it that way, other GMs do it, but not Mikey. Last year the jets offensive line was one of the worst in the league--and the only new starter is a LG that Oakland was too happy to move (remember the return that the jets gave Oakland?). More problematic is that the jets OL is not only bad, but it is also old . Not a young stud in the group. Relying on an unwanted journeyman like C Harrison to be the middle of your OL protecting your franchise QB is absurd. No matter how many improvements McIdiot makes to the defense, what does it matter if Bell has no holes to run thru and/or Darold is on his back?? The last time the jets were in the playoffs was thanks largely to a powerful OL anchored by DBrick and Mangold, not a retread like C Harrison and vastly overpaid Beachum, Winters, etc.. As to your "blocking TE" that he drafted, how about some"blocking offensive lineman" instead? BTW I also laughed at one of your earlier posts on this issue when you wrote that not just the jets, but many teams in the NFL have piss-poor offensive lines. I guess that makes it okay for the jets to annually have a bad one, oo, right? Congrats, I think you and Mike MacCag are on the same page.

15. ColoradoContrails

Well as you said, it's all just individual opinions and based upon whether we trust Macc or not. I don't, but that doesn't change the fact that he's the GM and he did what he did and now we have to wait and see. I hope your optimism is closer to the reality than my pessimism.

16. GasedAndConfused

sometimes that's the way the cookie crumbles. you don't think luck plays a part in being a good GM or building a good team? i mean the colts were lucky to be picking 1st the year peyton came out and were lucky to be picking 1st when luck came out. they fell ass backwards by being the worst at the best time into 30 years of top QB play lol. if history has shown anything, there is no 1 right way to draft. some believe in BPA some believe in filling a need some use both. I'm not a fan of the 3 d-line picks last year (it was really 2 picks and then traded a 7th for anderson who nobody would have guess would have played so well) but we didn't have anderson and maybe if we traded for him earlier we would have passed on one of the others. lots of the picks you are complaining about are 6th round and later which have like a 5% chance of sucess in the NFL (probably lower) so doesn't really matter at that point u just hope for the best. anything useful out of those rounds is a win. you also have no idea how harrison will play as the incumbent starter or how well osemele will help the line or how well they gel. have a little patience.

17. GasedAndConfused

i hope so as well! lol i'm just saying that as fans we look at it one way but if mac is sitting there and going i can have the next aaron donald or the next erik flowers and wesley johnson, he would be a fool to grab those 2 o-lineman over the 1 d-lineman. of course we don't know how the players will turn out and the draft is always a crapshoot, but if we take an objective look, it isn't bad. i mean look at the giants and how bad they did. lets be happy we aren't the giants. they become a bigger laughingstock then the bills

18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Pats olinemen are overrated because they are allowed to hold

19. GasedAndConfused

LMAO i mena i haven't watched the pats that much to notice but yeah the pats are always one of the least penalized teams overall and also if u even sniff bradys sock you get a roughing penalty. refs like to protect the big money QBs that ae good for the NFL brand. meanwhile someone liek cam newton or big ben get raped and no flag

legler82 likes this.
  20. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I was never a big Mac (pun intended) fan but he did picked up some key players in the FAs and resign couple of good Personel. We got better offensively imo. That over rides the so-so draft but at the moment we have to see how these draft picks pan out. So I think Mac deserves some slack and let’s see how the moves and FAs pans out. Sure I wished we had different selections but it is mostly a crap shoot. We have to hope for the best! Fans got to chill...